Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: any good books on recording techniques  (Read 4055 times)

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
any good books on recording techniques
« on: March 19, 2013, 04:44:31 AM »
I usually run pas, but would like to read a technical book on techniques for different types of mics etc.

More for just the information and entertainment than anything.
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: any good books on recording techniques
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 11:35:18 AM »
Here's a few...

"The New Stereo Soundbook" (Third Edition) by Ron Streicher and F. Alton Everest

"Mastering Audio" (Second Edition) by Bob Katz

"Microphone Arrays for Stereo and Multichannel Sound Recording" by Michael Williams
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 11:59:03 AM »
All of those DigiGal mentioned are great references.

New Stereo Soundbook is broad in scope, covering much more than just stereo microphone setups.  Mastering Audio focuses more on what is and can be done after the recording has been made, it does not foucus much if at all on microphone setup techniques.  I haven't read Michael William's book, which focuses entirely on microphone setup technique, although I have read all of his AES papers.  I suggest starting with his Stereo Zoom paper, which explains the principles underlying various microphone configurations and how to use that to setup a microphone array based on the pickup pattern of your microphones and the desired attributes of your resulting recording.  It is a very helpful concept to learn even if you only use 'standard' mic configurations and have no interest in using the process yourself.

The Stereo Zoom is available here- http://www.reddingaudio.com/downloads/Rycote%20Technical/The%20Stereophonic%20Zoom.pdf

His AES papers are available on his website.  I've been using his multichannel setup process recently and it works great.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 12:14:35 PM »
I started a thread here last year about applying the Stereo Zoom technique to PAS with cardioid pattern microphones-
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153112.0

It's not particularly intetersting reading, but useful for much of the recording done around here and the application of it to PAS illustrates the flexibility of his system.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »
I suggest starting with his Stereo Zoom paper, which explains the principles underlying various microphone configurations and how to use that to setup a microphone array based on the pickup pattern of your microphones and the desired attributes of your resulting recording.  It is a very helpful concept to learn even if you only use 'standard' mic configurations and have no interest in using the process yourself.

+1

I figured with 2 people replying before me, someone would have mentioned this. I think it's basically required reading for anyone who is serious about getting more consistent (and arguably more consistently better) recordings.

edit: and an easy calculator for differences based on the SRA if you want to fiddle with it.
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/Visualization-ORTF-E.htm
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 02:06:06 PM »
I suggest starting with his Stereo Zoom paper, which explains the principles underlying various microphone configurations and how to use that to setup a microphone array based on the pickup pattern of your microphones and the desired attributes of your resulting recording.  It is a very helpful concept to learn even if you only use 'standard' mic configurations and have no interest in using the process yourself.

+1

I figured with 2 people replying before me, someone would have mentioned this. I think it's basically required reading for anyone who is serious about getting more consistent (and arguably more consistently better) recordings.

edit: and an easy calculator for differences based on the SRA if you want to fiddle with it.
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/Visualization-ORTF-E.htm

+1, FYI, There are two Stereo Zoom apps in the iTunes store, one is Recording Tools (by Neumann), the other is Stereo Mic Tools, from Engineered Stuff
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 03:07:55 PM »
DPA Microphone University (google it to find a link) can keep you busy for awhile, but it's not a book and its fairly basic.

Offline vegeta_ban

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 09:27:36 PM »
bookmarking this thread, thanks everyone!
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline Joeski

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 10:43:02 PM »
DPA Microphone University (google it to find a link) can keep you busy for awhile, but it's not a book and its fairly basic.
That's right tonedeaf.  I printed that whole thing out way back when I found out about taperssection back in 2006.  It's really pretty good stuff to know.

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 09:53:50 PM »
+1, FYI, There are two Stereo Zoom apps in the iTunes store, one is Recording Tools (by Neumann), the other is Stereo Mic Tools, from Engineered Stuff

The Neumann app is also available for Android. The best way to find it in Google Play is to search for "Georg Neumann GmbH" (it's their only app). On Android at least it also requires Adobe AIR to be installed.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

jnorman34

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 06:46:11 PM »
the best book I ever found is "the microphone book" by john eargle.  eargle was the chief engineer for Delos, was VP at JBL for 31 years, and helped develop the THX system.  some of the finest reference recordings in my studio are by eargle while he was with delos.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 02:23:25 AM »

Available elsewhere but also on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Media-Stanley-R-Alten/dp/049557239X

By Stanley R. Alten - Cengage Learning - 2010 - Hardback - 550 pages - ISBN 049557239X
In AUDIO IN MEDIA, Ninth Edition, Stanley Alten-internationally recognized as a scholar and expert in the area of audio production-continues to provide students with an introduction to the basic techniques and principles necessary for audio production in today's media. The clear and current illustrations and photos and student-friendly writing in Alten's market-leading text have helped professors effectively teach this technically-based course to thousands of introductory audio production students. Comprehensive, technically accurate, and up-to-date, the text covers informational, perceptual, and aesthetic aspects of sound as they apply to each stage of the production process-from planning to post-production.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com