Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DA-P1 matrix question  (Read 2161 times)

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
DA-P1 matrix question
« on: May 09, 2004, 09:00:33 PM »
I have been corresponding with someone off the DAT-heads list about a certain taping situation.  He mentioned that he had successfully recorded a stand up comic show using the P1 to matrix a sbd line level feed and a line level aud feed using all four of the analog inputs on the P1 (XLR and RCA inputs, unit switched to line in and no phantom power applied).  

When I first bought one, I inquired about doing this and was told it couldn't be done but never tried.  I even recall reading a thread about it over on the old oade board.  I can't find that thread and was wondering if anyone here had tried it out.  I sold mine and can't try it out on my own...

Thanks, William

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re:DA-P1 matrix question
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 09:05:29 PM »
I remember reading somewhere you could do a live matrix with a da-p1, but what about delay?
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 08:43:49 AM »

There should be no noticeable delay _within_ the DA-P1.

I don't have the schematic handy but I think the XLR input heads into a diff->single ended gain stage (same as the mic-pre but strapped for lower gain) and is then summed along with the single ended RCA line-input right before the signal heads into the line-stage buffer amp ..

If it works I see no way in which it can damage the DA-P1 except
GROUND loop problems.  

Offline HydroPANIC

• Taperssection Regular
  • Casey Dawg Recordings
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 09:08:05 AM »
Yes it can be done...  You have to setup the aud mics less than 10' from the source.  Setup up your gains for the mics on the P1.  Have the SBD guy to adjust the gain output from the board as to not to distort your levels on the P1.

Delay problems will arise if the Aud mics are more than 10' from the source.  If a greater distance from the source is needed... Use a delay on the board feed...
Live Long and Lucky,
MikeO

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 11:54:41 AM »

There should be no noticeable delay _within_ the DA-P1.

I don't have the schematic handy but I think the XLR input heads into a diff->single ended gain stage (same as the mic-pre but strapped for lower gain) and is then summed along with the single ended RCA line-input right before the signal heads into the line-stage buffer amp ..

If it works I see no way in which it can damage the DA-P1 except
GROUND loop problems.  

Hydro addressed my concern, I was talking about delay caused by distance from the source
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 12:00:08 PM »
Yes it can be done...  You have to setup the aud mics less than 10' from the source.  Setup up your gains for the mics on the P1.  Have the SBD guy to adjust the gain output from the board as to not to distort your levels on the P1.

Delay problems will arise if the Aud mics are more than 10' from the source.  If a greater distance from the source is needed... Use a delay on the board feed...

Although it's been discussed to death, I think the consensus was that 30' away was the maximum distance without delay.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline HydroPANIC

• Taperssection Regular
  • Casey Dawg Recordings
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 06:26:41 PM »

Although it's been discussed to death, I think the consensus was that 30' away was the maximum distance without delay.

I stand corrected...  thanks.
Live Long and Lucky,
MikeO

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com