Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: An idea for people looking to buy mics  (Read 3677 times)

Offline mikeincharleston

• Look At All These Short Hairy Men...I Feel Like I'm On The Forest Moon Of Endor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Too Cool For School!
    • Andolini's Pizza
An idea for people looking to buy mics
« on: September 23, 2004, 12:30:17 AM »
ok so this is so tough going through and listening to mics and setups and preamps and a/d and yadayada, and figuring what i can afford and what i like.  it sucks!  anyway what i think would be a good idea would be almost a budget game.  like something that can be put on the archives for future members.  for example, if i gave you 850 dollars and that has to buy you everything from mics to recording device and everything inbetween (cables, batteries, stand, etc) what would you bring me back?  it is something i'd like to see for myself and i'm sure other who are looking for gear would like it.  feel free to use any amount you want, 400...500...950, whatever.  anyone think this is a good idea?  or has it been done before?

mike
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 12:32:38 AM by Mike In Boone »
"I'm not bustin' out a boat oar sober" - Scott 9/21/07

My Trade List  

Upcoming Shows/Events!!!
Phish - N. Charleston Coliseum, Charleston, SC 10/16/10 (First Show In 7.5 Years & Show #33)
The Avett Brothers - S.C. State Fair, Columbia, SC 10/20/10
Dale Waton - Broken Spoke, Austin, TX 10/27/10

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re: An idea for people looking to buy mics
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 01:17:54 AM »
sounds like a good idea... im sure we could dream some stuff up

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 01:44:50 AM »
Here it go's frist high: end  mic's schoeps cmc65 $ 3.320  pre v3 $1500  deck marante pmd-670 &700 any silver xlr cable's about $200 for two  stand Bogen/manfrotto master 13 $145  t-bar shure stero mic adapter $70  and $300 for batteries and any other small things.

next is mid :  pre u-a5 oade w-mod $500  mic's akg 480 $1600 for 2  stand  Bogen/manfrotto quick lock 11ft   $115  mic cable monster cable's  $150  t-bar shure stero mic adapter $70  and $300 for  batteries and any other small things.

low end:  deck nomade jukebox3 $200   mic's sp c4 $220  pre u-a5 oade w-mod $500  stand  Bogen/manfrotto quick lock 11ft  $115   mic cable monster cable's  $150  t-bar any chep one $20  and $300 for  batteries and any other small things.

beginer md and coresound mic $300

I hope that this what you ment. I hope that could be of some help to you.
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 01:48:40 AM »
and on the mid put as a deck a nomade jukebox 3 $200 I for got to put this in befor.
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 01:51:16 AM »
I'll play.  I'm looking to spend around $1,400 for my next rig.
Size is most important since I'll be stealth at nearly all shows.
Less is more, if you know what I mean.
 :)
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 02:31:23 AM »
taping on the cheap

13' mic stand $50 (includes shipping)
T-bar - be creative, make your own - i got all the supplies for $15 and it works great.
cables - check out markertek, i made my own 15 footers for under $50 and they sound great...or check out the yard sale section cuz it seems like cables get sold weekly on there.  you'll also need a digital cable most likely - but i bet you can find them on ebay for under $10
mics - seriously, people may scoff, but the superluxes sound really nice for their money.  $240 buys you a case, shock mounts, and a tbar
preamp/phantom power - $200 the UA-5 is great for starters, get a friend to mod it or do it yourself if you know how to solder
recorder - njb3 $200 from ebay.

so for roughly $750 you could have a cheap rig.  sure its not going to be the best out there, but it'll get it done.  not to mention, upgrading is always fun.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 03:23:07 AM »
for rigs on the cheap, I've been happy with what I picked up here on TS.com.  Used prices:

mics:  AT853rx ($300)
pre:  Denecke PS-2 ($115)
a/d:  Denecke AD20 ($225)
Deck:  JB3 40gig (ebay auction $255)
extra JB3 battery ($28)
rechargable 9v batts+charger ($40)
=======================
TOTAL:  $963
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 07:35:49 AM »

low end:  deck nomade jukebox3 $200   mic's sp c4 $220  pre u-a5 oade w-mod $500  stand  Bogen/manfrotto quick lock 11ft  $115   mic cable monster cable's  $150  t-bar any chep one $20  and $300 for  batteries and any other small things.

Is it really necessary to spend $150 on mic cables for a "low end" rig?  Also, I found a very nice mic stand on ebay for a lot less than $115.
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 07:52:02 AM »
for rigs on the cheap, I've been happy with what I picked up here on TS.com.  Used prices:

extra JB3 battery ($28)
=======================

This, IMO, is a great stealth rig-  you'll be able to find things a bit cheaper- I've seen PS-2's FS for $75,  and I got an AD-20 for $175 used.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 07:57:31 AM »

Prices are a bit off, if you go used or yard sale on some items, the njb3 can be had for 175, the Studio projects new cost me $320 plus shipping, you won't find a pair for $220 anywhere, stands you can use a cheap ebay one for around $30 or less, and you have the option of doing your own digimod UA-5 to keep it cheaper at around $225.  Plus canare star quads work well for most people and can be had used around here for $40. 
mics & cameras

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 08:03:12 AM »
Here's what I would suggest for a cheap set of good mics (stealth), minus a preamp (most beginners don't see their value... so I'll forgo for now...):

SoundProfessional Mics -
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category/110/mics  - for omni directional;
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category/120/mics - for cardoid;

Battery boxes-
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category/310/mics - IMO, the bare minimum needed is just a batterybox, minus all the frills- you can change your record level in your MD recorder (Sony NetMD-N505, Sony NetMD-N507) or NJB3;

Deck-
NJB3- my 40GB model new was approx. $300.  I have since realized that I don't need nearly 40GB, and 20 would have been sufficient.  I have heard that the refurbs on ebay are performing well, so I wouldn't worry about that.

If you don't want a battery box:

Sony Mics (i.e. - anything with a battery in it;  This is going to necessitate going through the mic-in, and these mics are anywhere from $75 - $100).    Sony ECM-MS907 is  good starting point.  On ebay, "electret microphone" is a good search term;  Most of these should work through a mic input;

My advice to anyone looking to go without a battery box is to spend a little bit more money (as cheap as $20-$30) and get a mic + battery box setup.  It's a huge jump in quality, for not that much money.

my $0000000000000000000000000000000000.02

HTH

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 08:35:17 AM »

extra JB3 battery ($28)
=======================

This, IMO, is a great stealth rig-  you'll be able to find things a bit cheaper- I've seen PS-2's FS for $75,  and I got an AD-20 for $175 used.

Yeah,  some of the prices I quoted included shipping to Europe, so you could probably get closer to $900, lower if you went for the 20gig JB3.  At any rate, I'm happy with what the money bought me and don't imagine upgrading any time soon.  For big shows I'd just as soon patch.
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com