Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Being discrete while recording  (Read 2452 times)

Offline pepper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Being discrete while recording
« on: January 27, 2005, 10:40:25 PM »
Ive just bought a pair of tiny binaural mics and a battery box.How easy is it to keep the wire hidden out of place and the mics situated in a decent place but not where security can easily see them as il be in the 3rd row.This will be my first time using a md and battery box at my usual venue and im just worried il be seen if i cant hide wires and mics properly.Any help/ ideas appreciated.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Being discrete while recording
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 10:42:34 PM »
hooded sweatshirt

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 12:41:59 AM »
beanie.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 01:41:29 AM »
Ive just bought a pair of tiny binaural mics and a battery box.How easy is it to keep the wire hidden out of place and the mics situated in a decent place but not where security can easily see them as il be in the 3rd row.This will be my first time using a md and battery box at my usual venue and im just worried il be seen if i cant hide wires and mics properly.Any help/ ideas appreciated.

How well lit is the venue? Most venues are pretty dark, those mics are probably not very obvious, and I bet security have better things to do, like dealing with drunk and disorderly punters. If you collar mount them, wear a shirt the same colour as the mics (presumably black). For additional security, use a stealth shirt:

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=29393.0
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline pepper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 01:48:08 AM »
Cheers humbug  :)

Offline Jeff F

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • BRING THE SNOW!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 05:23:07 PM »
I don't worry as much about the cable in the back as much anymore.  At most I wear a collared shirt and maybe have it "messed up", like not folded down like if you are having dinner, etc.

I use the theory a friend of mine told me - security is looking for T&A than some dude with a microphone cable down his back.   :o
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Schoeps mk41/mk21 > KCY 250/5i > SX-M2-LS/2 (Lemosax) > Sony M10 (open)
Schoeps mk41/mk21 > KCY 250/2i > SX-M2-LS/2 (Lemosax) > Sony M10 (stealth)

Offline neognosis

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 09:48:25 AM »
Mine work pretty well beneath the shirt too.  As long as the shirt isn't too tight or too thick, everything should pick up fine.  Never had any problems with collar mounting either, nobody's looking for mics, and if someone happens to spot them they probably won't care. ;)

What kills me is trying to check the levels.  Why don't MDs have LCD displays? :P

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 09:59:04 AM »
You won't have any problems.  I always clip my mics to my hat, and run the cables over my ears, and down into my shirt, and have never once had anyone notice.

One time I just attached a sony909A onto this shoulder strap of a leather coat- the mic was huge (relatively speaking) and the band was ANTI taping - no one even noticed.

Your biggest problems are a) getting past security, and b) checking levels.  A lot of people run low levels while stealthing and boost the volume in post... but this doesn't get the full dynamic range... but it gets you a recording when you shouldn't have one.   ;)
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pepper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 10:06:41 AM »
Security at the venue i go to is non existent.I always put my gear in my partners hand bag and we sort it when we are past security. :)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 10:10:43 AM »
Security at the venue i go to is non existent.I always put my gear in my partners hand bag and we sort it when we are past security. :)

You won't have any problem then dood.  I used to "stealth" my UA-5 in that same manner.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com