Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: card speed and taking the next picture  (Read 2563 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
card speed and taking the next picture
« on: September 08, 2008, 12:30:46 PM »
my moms camera is a kodak and about 3 yrs old
she says that when she takes a picture it take like 12-15 sec before she can take another
she currently is running a "normal" sd card
if she upgrades to a high speed card will that decrease the time between pictures?

also does anyone know the speed of "normal" cards?
i see high speed ones from 9-20mb/sec write

thanks
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
Re: card speed and taking the next picture
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 04:34:41 PM »
Depends on the camera.  Many cameras do not write that fast.  That seems like a very long time between images.  There is typically a buffer that allows the camera to take additional shots while the first is being written to the card. 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 11:24:04 AM »
Depends on the camera.  Many cameras do not write that fast.  That seems like a very long time between images.  There is typically a buffer that allows the camera to take additional shots while the first is being written to the card. 
thanks +t i'll have to get the camera and actually checkout the menus and stuff then
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 04:57:33 PM »
she says that when she takes a picture it take like 12-15 sec before she can take another

I've had two Kodak cameras and thought that this was a problem, until I realized that you can get your camera ready to take another pic by lightly pressing on the shutter button.  If we're talking about the same thing, the pic that she just took is previewed on the screen for about six seconds (12-15 might be an exaggeration) so she probably thinks that she can't take another pic yet (that's what I used to think). 

However, if you're talking about her getting the blue screen that says "processing image" (or something like that) it might be something else.  I occasionally get that screen when I take too many pictures in succession without letting the camera process 'em.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 07:47:35 PM »

I've had two Kodak cameras and thought that this was a problem, until I realized that you can get your camera ready to take another pic by lightly pressing on the shutter button.  If we're talking about the same thing, the pic that she just took is previewed on the screen for about six seconds (12-15 might be an exaggeration) so she probably thinks that she can't take another pic yet (that's what I used to think). 

However, if you're talking about her getting the blue screen that says "processing image" (or something like that) it might be something else.  I occasionally get that screen when I take too many pictures in succession without letting the camera process 'em.
i think she prob means the image preview and i wouldn't be shocked if she exaggerated to me
thanks for the tip

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com