Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HD Video Camera on the cheap?  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
HD Video Camera on the cheap?
« on: January 12, 2006, 07:43:20 PM »
I'm trying to help a friend who is buying a video camera.   She is about to buy a Sony HDR/FX1 1080i camera.   The prices are pretty steep so I'm looking for a couple of suggestions:

1) Anyone know the cheapest place or any deals?  I looked and I didn't see anything cheaper than what she said. 

2) Are there other options?  The camera will be used to film production videos for VCD and eventually DVD.  Is there a suitable pro camera that won't cost her $2800 but will be respectable for that kind of work?

She is basicly giving this to someone as a charity/gift to help them follow a dream.  I'd really like to help her out buy saving her money, even if it means presenting an alternative.

thanks for any help at all.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline sabre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: HD Video Camera on the cheap?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 11:26:53 PM »
Do you really need HD camera?
If you want to save a few $$ then I'd take a look at the Sony VX2100 - bhphotovideo.com has it for $2,300.

Offline Elvis Hitler

• Taperssection Member
    • Video & Audio List
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 12:21:42 PM »
I'll second the VX2100 recommendation, I've been using one for 2 years now and am very happy with its performance.   It's not HD, but it is 3 CCD and produces a beautiful picture.

If she's determined to get HD, there's a new model by Sanyo that sells for $800, but I haven't heard any reviews on this camera yet (see thread below in this forum).

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 02:52:47 PM »
Ts to you  guys for the input.  I'll pass it along.

I think she is pretty much stuck on doing the HD camera.  The Sanyo isn't available for a few months and she is leaving for Laos in a few weeks.  I'll mention that camera to her in case she can wait.  But I think she wants to arrive with it in hand. 

edit:  oh yeah, Elvis Hitler.   The handle without which Lil' Kim Jong-Il would never have been spawned  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 02:54:46 PM by Lil' Kim Jong-Il »

Offline Elvis Hitler

• Taperssection Member
    • Video & Audio List
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 11:42:35 AM »
I've been tempted to steal "Li'l Kim Jong-Il" and make it my username on another board... >:D

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 02:09:40 PM »
Use it.  ;D

Although, Ghengis Couger Mellen Kahn is still the all time best.

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 09:51:30 AM »
the sanyo is a toy, the sony hdv's rule on conversion to DVD due to colorspace and resolution issues. there is a current rebate on the A1U sony hdvs bringing the price down to $2000 from B&H photo.  this is the camera I went with here is a few samples downrezz'd to DVD progressive from the HDV footage from my europe trip: http://www.comebackdownload.com/EuropeDVDTest.mpg

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 07:19:44 PM »
the sanyo is a toy, the sony hdv's rule on conversion to DVD due to colorspace and resolution issues. there is a current rebate on the A1U sony hdvs bringing the price down to $2000 from B&H photo.  this is the camera I went with here is a few samples downrezz'd to DVD progressive from the HDV footage from my europe trip: http://www.comebackdownload.com/EuropeDVDTest.mpg

peace, chris

Wow that is some incredible footage.  Do you think it would look that good from the sony HC1?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com