Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Synching 24 bit 96kHz audio to video DVD  (Read 8338 times)

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Synching 24 bit 96kHz audio to video DVD
« on: June 05, 2006, 10:45:46 PM »
How do I do it? If I make an audio recording and a video recording can I synch the 24bit to the dvd?  I own PC not MAC.

Sorry I suck at this video shit.

Also, will an old Hi8 cam have a digital out?  Are Hi8 cameras considered digital?  I dont think so.  I guess my question is how do I transfer Hi8 vids to DVD?

Thanks for any help on either topic!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 11:35:04 PM by ddnevi13 »

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Synching 24 bit 96kHz audio to video DVD
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 03:15:46 AM »
How do I do it? If I make an audio recording and a video recording can I synch the 24bit to the dvd?  I own PC not MAC.
If you're creating a DVD Video, you can't synch in 24 bit/96kHz audio stream. The audio must be 16 bit / 48kHz. You will need to create a DVD Audio disc if you want to use your 24 bit recording.

Quote from: ddnevi13
Also, will an old Hi8 cam have a digital out?
Nope.

Quote from: ddnevi13
Are Hi8 cameras considered digital?  I dont think so.  I guess my question is how do I transfer Hi8 vids to DVD?
No, Hi8 cameras are not digital. The most efficient way to transfer your Hi8 videos to your PC is by using a Digital8 video camera. Simply put your Hi8 tape in the video camera, run a firewire cable into a 1394 (Firewire) port on your PC and you'll have yourself a DV-AVI file at 13 gigabytes per hour.

The DV-AVI file is perfect for editing and you can load the video and your external audio source into a NLE application like Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas and then encode your video into the MPEG2 format.

Then after you've encoded your video (and possibly audio - but it looks to me that you'd want to keep your audio in the PCM format) - import them into an authoring application such as DVD-Lab and you can then add menus and chapter points.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 12:14:46 PM by pluto »

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 04:42:53 AM »
Since you're asking about Hi8 video, I am going to assume this isn't a very recent recording.  The reason I point this out - it's very likely the video and alternate audio you have won't be in synch (the same length, same speed... however you want to describe it).  To alter the audio length in Vegas, right click on the video, click on properties, and for "time stretch / pitch shift" click on classic.  Change the "new length" to what it needs to be to match the original audio, and click OK.  It usually doesn't work on the first try, but you just keep working with it until you get it right.

To determine how much you need to alter the length of the video - get the alternate audio and original audio synched at some point in the beginning of the video.  Go to the end of the video and see what the difference is - and there you have it.

Where you can possibly run into problems - points during the video where the video tape has been stretched a bit (or some other circumstance has led to it playing at a different speed).
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 10:44:11 AM »

If you're creating a DVD Video, you can't synch in 24 bit/96kHz audio stream. The audio must be 16 bit / 48kHz. You will need to create a DVD Audio disc if you want to use your 24 bit recording.

This isn't true. You can synch 24/48. I have just done 4 videos. I think it should be 48khz, but 24 bit works fine.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 12:47:04 PM »
You're biting off a lot for a video newbie... :)

1. Hi8 is not digital
2. The advice for capturing Hi8 above is good ONLY IF the camera has Firewire out (which MANY don't)
3. If the Hi8 doesn't have firewire out, then you have to "capture" the video the old-fashioned way: analog RCA out > capture card (which will be a project in and of itself)
4. If you can, you want to capture to avi (like said above)
5. Coloartist is right, 24-bit will work, but you'll have to resample down to 48 kHz first (do that BEFORE you even bring the audio into your video editor)
6. Syncing can be a BITCH if you've never done it before, but...
7. First sync the "head", meaning get the audio in sync near the start of the video/audio by slipping the a/v tracks
8. Then you need to sync the "tail" of the tracks because they WILL drift, especially if you originated on Hi8 analog tape. Syncing the tail is done like someone else described above, you don't "slip" the tracks anymore because that would screw up the head sync you did in the above step, this time you have to stretch or compress the audio track until you have sync at the tail. If done properly, the entire show should basically be in sync at that point (but that does assume an even drift, which isn't always the case when working with analog-captured video).
9. After you've done all of that, then you need to encode the video to MPEG2 and the audio to either AC3 (lossy) or PCM (lossless) formats
10. And finally, burn to DVD

That is going to be one hell of a project if you've done it before. Welcome to the world of video editing and encoding!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 12:48:47 PM by BayTaper »
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 12:01:13 PM »
7. First sync the "head", meaning get the audio in sync near the start of the video/audio by slipping the a/v tracks
8. Then you need to sync the "tail" of the tracks because they WILL drift, especially if you originated on Hi8 analog tape. Syncing the tail is done like someone else described above, you don't "slip" the tracks anymore because that would screw up the head sync you did in the above step, this time you have to stretch or compress the audio track until you have sync at the tail. If done properly, the entire show should basically be in sync at that point (but that does assume an even drift, which isn't always the case when working with analog-captured video).

Sometimes in a case like this, because of the uneven drift that BatTaper mentioned, I'll just synch it in chunks (sometimes one song at a time if they are really long).  A good spot to end one of these "chunks" is in between songs while people are cheering or during dead space while the band is fiddling around tuning or whatever. 

Also ~ if there are any glitches in the tape (tape rolls, segment of stretched tape, etc., etc.) - you know the point at which that happens is going to be an "uneven drift start point" for lack of a better description.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 05:51:50 PM »
You're biting off a lot for a video newbie... :)

1. Hi8 is not digital
2. The advice for capturing Hi8 above is good ONLY IF the camera has Firewire out (which MANY don't)
3. If the Hi8 doesn't have firewire out, then you have to "capture" the video the old-fashioned way: analog RCA out > capture card (which will be a project in and of itself)
4. If you can, you want to capture to avi (like said above)
5. Coloartist is right, 24-bit will work, but you'll have to resample down to 48 kHz first (do that BEFORE you even bring the audio into your video editor)
6. Syncing can be a BITCH if you've never done it before, but...
9. After you've done all of that, then you need to encode the video to MPEG2 and the audio to either AC3 (lossy) or PCM (lossless) formats
10. And finally, burn to DVD

That is going to be one hell of a project if you've done it before. Welcome to the world of video editing and encoding!

The best way to learn is to immurse I suppose.  I think I will wait on that project until I try one that is digital.  I have some minidv 24p video that I would like to synch 24 bit audio to.  that is great I am able!!!!

This isn't true. You can synch 24/48. I have just done 4 videos. I think it should be 48khz, but 24 bit works fine.

Great News!  Thanks!!!  Can I do this in Vegas?

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 06:08:27 PM »
Vegas: Go to project settings, then audio tab, then set 24-bit / 48 kHz. Then, on final render out for burning, you render out MPEG2 for the video, and then do a seperate render out for audio -- on the audio render, just make sure to set the audio format. Most of the time people use AC3 (lossy), but the audiofiles might prefer PCM -- however that is going to seriously chew into your disk space.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 06:11:05 PM »
Vegas: Go to project settings, then audio tab, then set 24-bit / 48 kHz. Then, on final render out for burning, you render out MPEG2 for the video, and then do a seperate render out for audio -- on the audio render, just make sure to set the audio format. Most of the time people use AC3 (lossy), but the audiofiles might prefer PCM -- however that is going to seriously chew into your disk space.

Thank you very much.  I am more concerned with quality than storage!  I will be using PCM!

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 06:19:54 PM »
quick hijack

why won't 96kHz work?
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 06:39:11 PM »
quick hijack

why won't 96kHz work?

great question

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 06:58:20 PM »

Thank you very much.  I am more concerned with quality than storage!  I will be using PCM!

You'll become more concerned about storage right about the moment after you've let the thing render all night long only to find out it won't fit on a DVD. LOL!

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 07:25:16 PM »

You'll become more concerned about storage right about the moment after you've let the thing render all night long only to find out it won't fit on a DVD. LOL!

then I'll use 2 ;)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 07:31:41 PM »
I found this somewhere...

The audio data on a DVD movie can be PCM, DTS, MP2, or Dolby Digital (AC-3) format. In countries using the NTSC standard any movie should contain a sound track in (at least) either PCM or Dolby AC-3 format; any NTSC player must support these two formats, the others being optional. This ensures any standard compatible disc can be played on any standard compatible player. The vast majority of commercial NTSC releases today employ AC-3 audio. The official allowed formats for the audio tracks on a DVD Video are:

* PCM: 48 kHz or 96 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit or 24 bit L-PCM, 2 to 6 channels, up to 6144 kbit/s
    * AC3: 48 kHz sampling rate, 2 to 5 (6) channels, up to 448 kbit/s
    * DTS: 48 kHz sampling rate, 2 to 6 channels, Half Rate (768 kbit/s) or Full Rate (1536 kbit/s)
    * MPEG-1 Layer 2: Europe only, 48 kHz

Here's the thing, even if you can use 24/96, you're risking that the viewer's DVD player may not be able to decode it. Or if they are lightpiping it to their receiver, the receiver may not be able to handle it. Basically, you're pushing it IMO. But, maybe even more importantly, I'm betting that YOU WILL run into space problems on the DVD. Take a two-hour concert and think about how big a 24/96 PCM file is going to be. You might not have anything left on the disk for the video? This is why most movies are AC3/DD or DTS, and this is where your 48 kHz comes into play. So, pretty much every player out there can handle 48, but after that you may run into player that can't handle more and you're also going to have space problems. Now maybe dual-layer might help, but not sure. And, BTW, I am no expert on this, so I could easily be wrong.

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 07:35:35 PM »
I found this somewhere...

The audio data on a DVD movie can be PCM, DTS, MP2, or Dolby Digital (AC-3) format. In countries using the NTSC standard any movie should contain a sound track in (at least) either PCM or Dolby AC-3 format; any NTSC player must support these two formats, the others being optional. This ensures any standard compatible disc can be played on any standard compatible player. The vast majority of commercial NTSC releases today employ AC-3 audio. The official allowed formats for the audio tracks on a DVD Video are:

* PCM: 48 kHz or 96 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit or 24 bit L-PCM, 2 to 6 channels, up to 6144 kbit/s
    * AC3: 48 kHz sampling rate, 2 to 5 (6) channels, up to 448 kbit/s
    * DTS: 48 kHz sampling rate, 2 to 6 channels, Half Rate (768 kbit/s) or Full Rate (1536 kbit/s)
    * MPEG-1 Layer 2: Europe only, 48 kHz

Here's the thing, even if you can use 24/96, you're risking that the viewer's DVD player may not be able to decode it. Or if they are lightpiping it to their receiver, the receiver may not be able to handle it. Basically, you're pushing it IMO. But, maybe even more importantly, I'm betting that YOU WILL run into space problems on the DVD. Take a two-hour concert and think about how big a 24/96 PCM file is going to be. You might not have anything left on the disk for the video? This is why most movies are AC3/DD or DTS, and this is where your 48 kHz comes into play. So, pretty much every player out there can handle 48, but after that you may run into player that can't handle more and you're also going to have space problems. Now maybe dual-layer might help, but not sure. And, BTW, I am no expert on this, so I could easily be wrong.

2 hours of 24/96 is 4 gigs.  A dual layer DVD has 8 gigs

24/48 is 2 gigs for 2 hours

24/44.1 is 1 gig/1hr12mins  Sorry I changed the way I was explaining I just didnt want to do the math for 44.1 just thought it should be noted.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com