Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony HVR-Z1U (mini HD Baby!!!) anyone ever use one?  (Read 4121 times)

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Sony HVR-Z1U (mini HD Baby!!!) anyone ever use one?
« on: December 24, 2006, 02:20:35 PM »
So I just got my mits on one of these bad boys. Any experience with these? It is definitly bad ass.

ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: Sony HVR-Z1U (mini HD Baby!!!) anyone ever use one?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 03:35:49 PM »
It's a great camera that many smaller-budget productions have been using for a while now, but it does have it's challenges (most of which are related to the HDV codec itself and not so much the camera). NLE workflow can be challenging with the HDV codec, but support is fairly widespread at this point. That said, many folks are using intermediate codecs in order to get better real-time performance while editing (Cineform is one), but if you have an NLE that supports it and a hella-fast computer, you can edit HDV directly in some apps. Also, remember that HDV records audio in lossy format, so if you want the highest-quality audio possible, you'll have to use double-system sound (but most of us tapers would record audio seperately anyway, so not big deal, but it is kind of lame to think that my cheesy MiniDV cam had better audio than HDV cams). One other thing, I'm pretty sure that bad boy can do standard def widescreen using the DV codec to MiniDV tape, so don't overlook that, sometimes that'll be plenty good, it'll be widescreen (without croping/zooming), and it'll record audio in 16-bit when recording in SD mode I think. Not sure, but it might even be able to record in PAL too? Which can be a cool alternative to get 25 fps, which can be fairly easily converted to 24p standard def. HAVE FUN, LOOKS LIKE A GOOD TIME TO ME!
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline wilsonedits

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 06:48:31 PM »
congrats on the new cam.... have fun with it

had a shoot several months ago where some of those were used... the video looks incredible...very solid in low light

« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 12:24:09 AM by wilsonedits »
P2 yo

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 05:16:22 PM »
I finally figured this peice out a bit. I cannot even tell you how sick the footage looks! I shot 2 hours onthe 29th and 2 hours on the 30th with The Slip and the only flaws are my amature camera work. I picked up the best tripod Best Buy has. Works pretty well. I already want some steady cam gear! I also want to get a new Mac for better editing abilities. My pipe dream would be:

ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline jmon

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 11:46:27 AM »
I had a shoot about a year ago with one of those. Shot with it for 2 days. I mostly work with mini DV and this was the first HDV i had used. As you've mentioned, the footage is awesome, i was amazed when we watched it back. We also rented that same deck, and it came without a manual, so I ended up very frustrated trying to get everything hooked up just right.

Are you just using the camera for playback now?
watch THE CORPORATION  ||  http://www.thecorporation.com

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 11:55:09 AM »
Yeah I am using the camera. I am going to my buddies for HDTV playback tonight! My mac is not even up to par for HD editing. Not to mention we cannot actually burn in HD just yet, or at least most cannot. I look forward to getting a blue ray burner but will wait until they are not a rip off. I definitly cannot afford one of the playback decks yet. Maybe not ever really. So I have been using the downconversion to DV as of now. I have yet to burn a project to DVDR but am worried that the footage in iMovie doesn't look anywhere near as good as the camera display. I have my fingers crossed for the first DVDR to look decent.

Offline jmon

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 12:06:17 PM »
what are you down converting with? I haven't really used iMovie much (i use Final Cut Pro) , but the quality of the footage should be the same as what you put in it. It's all about the codec and the settings. The app that you use shouldn't affect the quality as long as you are on top of your settings from start to finish.

edit: also, i completely understand about not being able to afford the deck, and you probably already know this, but i just want to mention that you are taking a big risk by using your camera for playback. You really don't want to put any additional strain on the heads in the cam. Eventually they will wear out and you won't be able to shoot reliably. Rewinding and Fastforwarding alot are the biggest head killers.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 12:08:37 PM by jmon »
watch THE CORPORATION  ||  http://www.thecorporation.com

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 10:15:05 PM »
what are you down converting with? I haven't really used iMovie much (i use Final Cut Pro) , but the quality of the footage should be the same as what you put in it. It's all about the codec and the settings. The app that you use shouldn't affect the quality as long as you are on top of your settings from start to finish.

The camera can downconvert to DV on the fly. The problem is that iMovie is made to be dummy proof and when I tell it that I want to record in DV or DV Widescreen, it automatically kicks back over to 1080i when it sees the camera. I know I have the camera outputting DV because there is a LED that tells you and the settings are proper. REALLY pissing me off.

lso, i completely understand about not being able to afford the deck, and you probably already know this, but i just want to mention that you are taking a big risk by using your camera for playback. You really don't want to put any additional strain on the heads in the cam. Eventually they will wear out and you won't be able to shoot reliably. Rewinding and Fastforwarding alot are the biggest head killers.

You totally right but I cannot really think about buy one of those anytime soon. Not at all cheap. Maybe after my next film I'll have some spare case but I also need a new car.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com