Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Canon lens help/advice  (Read 7782 times)

Offline dmccabe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Canon lens help/advice
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 01:39:40 PM »
Problem is, I live in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah with Ziplens.com it doesn't matter where you live... and you can reserve a lens months in advance.
I think they are great prices too.

Offline rreidiii

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 02:52:52 PM »
Bought a 70-200Lf2.8 IS and will never look back. At 47yo my hands are just not what they use to be. If canon made a 24-70L 2.8 with IS Id trade my 24-70L 2.8 in a second.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 11:15:14 PM »
Well, either tomorrow night or Monday morning I'm pulling the trigger on a 70-200 f/2.8 L USM   ;D  I'm extrememly anxious.  Can't wait to get and take it out in the field.  A big motivator is that in a month, I'm going backpacking on the AT for about 4 or 5 days north of the smokies and really want to take a bunch of pics.  Don't mind hauling the tripod and a couple lenses, I'm used to packing real light an extra 8-10lbs is nothing much.  Extra batt is in route and I've got plenty of cards so hopefully I'll be good to go and able to get plenty of shots to work with when I get home.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 08:55:20 AM »
Well, either tomorrow night or Monday morning I'm pulling the trigger on a 70-200 f/2.8 L USM   ;D  I'm extrememly anxious.  Can't wait to get and take it out in the field.  A big motivator is that in a month, I'm going backpacking on the AT for about 4 or 5 days north of the smokies and really want to take a bunch of pics.  Don't mind hauling the tripod and a couple lenses, I'm used to packing real light an extra 8-10lbs is nothing much.  Extra batt is in route and I've got plenty of cards so hopefully I'll be good to go and able to get plenty of shots to work with when I get home.

Any reason not to go with the f/4IS version of that lens, especially if you're hiking? The 2.8 is a beast, though an awesome lens.
Out of the game … for now?

stirinthesauce

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2007, 10:48:11 AM »

Any reason not to go with the f/4IS version of that lens, especially if you're hiking? The 2.8 is a beast, though an awesome lens.

I need more flexibility, especially in lower light situations.  IS is not a deal breaker for me, since I do alot of my shooting with a tripod and will have that with me.  I have to admit, the f4 IS was very appealing (especially at the stellar price point), I just feel the f2.8 will serve me better in the longer run.  Ideally I would get the IS f/2.8 but I can't swing another 400-500.  Plus, from all the reviews I've read, the non IS version is a bit sharper.  Of course, i may find I want the IS and upgrade later when I can afford to  ;)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 01:17:41 PM »
I have rented the 70-200mm f2.8 IS lens about four times. It quite simply is the most amazing lens I've ever used. If you have the money to burn, it is worth every single penny. And if you're going to go this high end to begin with, you should definitely splurge the extra dough for the f2.8 IS. If you shoot low light it's REQUIRED, and if if you don't, you'll want that f2.8 anyway cause the shallow depth of field on that thing is absolutely beautiful. And at low light, I was able to get fairly sharp photos shooting 1/50 or 1/60 hand held and FULLY ZOOMED!!!!!! That's just crazy considering the general rule of thumb would be about 1/300th for my 30D at 200mm for hand held (1/200 * 1.6 crop). What's nice too is it has two IS modes, full IS and panning IS, which is another nice touch.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 01:19:26 PM by BayTaynt3d »
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

stirinthesauce

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 02:19:54 PM »
IF I had another 5 bills I would get the IS.  However, I'm gonna go with the non IS L f2.8.  The IS is a dream lens but just can't swing it.  I'm stretching a bit as is.  Not real concerned though, canon lenses hold a great resale value and when I'm able to jump up, it will be at a minimal loss on resale. 

Most show photography I do, the lighting is really good.  If not, I can always jump to my 1.8 50mm.  or bump up my iso.  At worst I will pick up a monopod which should be plenty of compensation (and cheaper than the jump to the 2.8L IS).

But again, most of my shooting is outdoors, of people and landscapes.  The 2.8 is needed for the sake of people and the closeups of plant life, so as to really blur out the background. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com