Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Be Kind Please Tag Your Files!  (Read 9954 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: Be Kind Please Tag Your Files!
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2013, 09:29:07 PM »
Though I suppose no one converts to WAV anymore and they just listen to the FLACs... 

Is this true? 

I'm really surprised if the answer is yes, because to me that would mean almost everyone listens to their music from their computer, since players don't come supplied with FLAC decoding, do they?  Other than when mastering, I don't ever listen to music from my computer.  Close to 100% of my listening is through my ipod in the car (2 1/2 hours a day commuting), working in the yard, or during the 1/2 hour down time I force on myself before going to sleep every night.

I got a couple 20gb iriver's in the yard sale.  they work great as a portable flac player ;)

I mean, it's great to have that capability, but having read some of the responses so far, I'm still preferring the awesomeness of the 24/7 accessibility I have to nearly my entire life's music library on a 160gb ipod classic.  But then again, I don't have thousands of dollars in playback gear either, so while I want to make high quality sound recordings, tip top playback fidelity isn't my top priority.  :-\   Judging from the responses so far, I guess I'm in a pretty significant minority on this point.

you have all your music on a 160gb?  that enough for my mp3 album collection but hardly enough for live shows.  you're not saying you spent all that money on schoeps and listen as mp3 are you???
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2013, 09:31:42 PM »
non tagged 16/44 as I suppose those are just being burned to CD.

hardly anyone burns to disc anymore.  I'd say most folks convert our recordings to mp3 and some keep as flac.  I know there are some that still burn to cd but the number is shrinking rapidly.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Toke

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2013, 08:47:41 AM »

hardly anyone burns to disc anymore.  I'd say most folks convert our recordings to mp3 and some keep as flac.  I know there are some that still burn to cd but the number is shrinking rapidly.

True, but why would they choose 16/44 over 24/48 then?  I guess smaller files, but I always want the best quality available.  Maybe I should tag the 16/44 file sets too.  I try to give people what they like.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2013, 09:42:09 AM »
Yes, please tag the 16/44 files.  When given the choice, I generally download the 16/44 files because on my playback system, I cannot hear a difference.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2013, 10:40:13 AM »
When given the choice, I generally download the 16/44 files because on my playback system, I cannot hear a difference.

This. I use 24bit audio in mixing and mastering for noise floor benefits, but I don't need the dynamic range for playback. Second, I can't reliably hear above 15khz, so the difference between 44.1 and >48 is negligible to me. No reason for me to waste that space or download time.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2013, 03:22:27 PM »
you have all your music on a 160gb?  that enough for my mp3 album collection but hardly enough for live shows.  you're not saying you spent all that money on schoeps and listen as mp3 are you???

Sigh...here we go again...I've had to answer this same question a million times.

HQ recording equipment is not the same as audiophile playback gear, which I don't have.  If you want to discuss playback, then lets move the discussion to audiophile dot com...or whatever... 

With 2 1/2 to 3 hours daily commute to work, I spend 95% of my listening time in a car.  I use my ipod to carry my music with me wherever I go.  I can't listen to music on the computer at work because it's not compliant with my offices computer use standards...I will be fired if I put music on my computer or connect my own hard drive.  Scheops sounds fantastic, even on an HQ MP3. 

The end.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:31:17 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2013, 03:39:01 PM »

When did this myth start?
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com