Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: editing/remixing lopsided mixes.  (Read 1376 times)

Offline firmdragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
editing/remixing lopsided mixes.
« on: July 10, 2005, 03:23:07 AM »
ok say, i just did an aud recording and i was standing near the stage next to a small PA where the vocals come out.  so the overal mix of the recording sounds good except that it sounds like the singer is singing beside you.  so vocal heavy on one side.  how would you guys mix this?

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: editing/remixing lopsided mixes.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 10:09:25 AM »
isolate the side with heavy vocals (copy and paste to a mono wav file if you can)
play with eq until it is mostly all vocals
copy the vocal only channel and mix with the oposite side.
if you have multitrack software this is pretty easy to get the right mix, if not it is trial and error
Make sure the new mixed side didn't overdrive.  If it did you need to lower the level of both sources and try again
normalize the original vocal heavy side and the new  mixed side individually
use the original vocal-heavy side and the new other side to make a new stereo wav
listen to see if you got it right.
if not, then start all over  ;D

I think this is all you can do.  It will most likely screw up the immage, but there isn't much else you can do other than making the whole recording mono
Best thing to do is to record from the center of the soundstage.

Good luck!

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline jhirte

• Needs to get out more...
  • At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 12:12:45 PM »
Could also do a channel mix in Cool Edit - easiest way, but you'll loose some of the stereo effect this way.

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 05:35:37 AM »
try inverting the phase on the non-vocal heavy side, the running it through a M/S plugin, adjust the levels and it might just provide what you are looking for.

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com