Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PC problems  (Read 1360 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
PC problems
« on: September 13, 2005, 10:02:05 AM »
I have an amd xp2200 system I use for p2p.  It has an msi k7n2g mboard..

Recently, it began rebooting over and over.. Basically, you power it up and the mb/cpu seems to lose power. Usually this happens within a second (or few) of power on, other times it might take 30-180 seconds.  The power interruptions are often very brief - you can see/hear the system fans all slow down briefly as power is cut and then restored.

I swapped out the power supply but it made no difference. I have removed all cards and disconnected all disks.. I loosened the mb last night but have not removed it.  I'm guessing the mb has a problem (and not the cpu).

Any advice before I order a new mb?  I'd hate to buy a new (older) mb and find it was the cpu.  I've never had a failure quite like this.

Thanks!

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
Re: PC problems
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 11:02:21 AM »
Check yer RAM. ;)
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline mmedley.

• CAR RAMROD
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 12:01:26 PM »
MSI makes good stuff. Asus and Giga-Byte as well.

It sounds like your mobo finally shit the bed if it's not the RAM. I'd replace the mobo and keep the machine turned off to prevent furthur damage to any of your other pieces of HW.

I've had the same problem you mention, power supply is on, but no power to computer, etc. I also removed everything and changed the power supply only to realize that it was the mobo.

Good Luck!

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 12:54:06 PM »
Thanks for the help..

I pulled the MB out and ran it outside the machine..  Things went sorta okay when I started the machine by shorting the on pins. So I plugged in the power button and the damn machine started right up (it should not have).  Seemed like a short in the button.

I tested the power button with a DVM.  Everything looked just fine...  I moved the dvm scale from 2K to 20K and discovered there was only about 4.7K of resistance!  The circuit opened as soon as I messed with the button. I tried to clean it but it is sealed. I'll probably just replace the button..

So I put the thing together and booted it. All was going well until the problem struck again.  I'm guessing the suction when I closed the case (with fans on) mucked up the contacts again. This cheap case has little front ventilation.

So I unplugged the damn button and started the machine by shorting the pin.  My p2p is running again!  Up for 15 minutes, fingers crossed...

This is a cheap case.. I normally run nice Antecs but had to settle when I built this one.  Lesson: don't settle for cheap cases. It is one of the most important parts of the machine (cooling and noise).

Don't know why, but MSI puts the serial number on the bottom of the board (it probably greatly reduces warranty claims since the serial number is used to rma and determine mfg date, etc)..  This one was made in mar 03.  So the warranty was just down to parts but not labor.

Offline mmedley.

• CAR RAMROD
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 11:57:00 PM »
Interesting.

I'll agree on the case. I love my Lian Li.  8)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com