Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tablet vs laptop  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Thom Joad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Team TNT!
tablet vs laptop
« on: February 07, 2006, 04:08:38 PM »
I've been toying with the idea of picking up a tablet/laptop to set up for recording only.  I imagine I'd go with the Presonus Firebox for an interface (however if the laptop only has USB then obviously I'd go a different route)

What I mainly want is something that is as small as possible, I'm talking 10" or under screen sizes.  I've found there is a ton of tablets on ebay, for fairly cheap, that have all the necessary inards to make it a decent recording box.  My question is, is there anyone using a tablet interface for recording and have they had any problems with it?  Is there an equivalent of a "hold" button on these, to prevent a mistaken input from accidentally touching the screen while recording?  Is the battery life worse, better or the same as a traditional laptop?  Can you optimize Windoze on these for music as we do with our desktops and laptops?  etc.  Any and all opinions welcome!

If I had the scratch I'd pick up one of these in a heartbeat and be done with it.  http://www.oqo.com/hardware/basics/  They're going for $2k on ebay.  Anyone run one these?  F'in SWEET!

Thanks! -Matt 

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Re: tablet vs laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 08:26:40 PM »
The biggest issue with the laptop - tablet route is going to be powering it in the feild. If you have acces to AC then thats not an issue. The recording software of your choice would determine a "hold" function. I  use wavelab and I dont think it has that feature, however I have never had an issue of the software being stopped by anything other than me being drunk and doing something dumb.

If the laptop tablet is going to be recording only and if all your going to do is 2 channel i highly reccomend rethinking the laptop route. there are several new Flash based devices that will suit this need. They will be easy to power in the feild, will allow for a very small footprint / all-in-1 device. They cost about 1/2 price described above.

I have run a laptop for about 3 years now and I am chomping at the bit to get a marantz or the tascam just taking a wait and see approach. The alptop rig tends to be a larger rig in my experience
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Thom Joad

• Taperssection Member
  • Team TNT!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 08:28:37 AM »
Right now I run a Sony D10 ProII.  I know about the 671 and P2 and am intrigued, however, I was thinking I could set up a laptop/tablet based rig with something very close to the same footprint (maybe smaller, see the link and check out the dimensions of that OQO 01+), and possibly cheaper than a new un-modded 671 (definitely cheaper than a ACM).  I plan on waiting for the 671's, P2's etc. to show up on the used market, and I know that will take a couple of years, but in the meantime I want to go 24bit.

Size:
Like I said I am looking at size first and foremost.

671 - 10.5"w x 2"h x 7.5"d

sony vaio CR1 - 9.7"w x 1"h x  6"d,  this is just for example I'm not planning on getting this exact VAIO, just illustrating my point about size.  BTW that OQO dealie is 4.9"w x .9"h x 3.4"d

Price:
I'm talking used ebay prices

671 + 4GB CF ~ 1200-1300

tablet/laptop + firebox ~ 800-1000 (since I will not pay more than 700 for the laptop)

Power:
Some of these laptops/tablets I'm looking at have the ULV processors, I'm wondering how much more run time you would get on the high capicity internals with these new processors if you were just running a bare bones XP and Wavelab.  Even so I would make sure to get the cigarette lighter power adapter for it and run it off the 12V's I already have, if needed.  Yes, it's still carrying around 12V's but hey I'm still young enough

Specifically what I was asking in my original post is about whether or not to look for strictly traditional laptops, or one of these new tablet/laptop hybrids, or a plain tablet style.  I was thinking the latter of these would have problems say if the gear bag moved, and something in your gear bag accidentally bumped into the screen, and stopped the recording.  Are the tablets stylus sensitive only, or can you input with your fingers, elbows, mics. etc.  All this may be moot, as I will probably just end up picking up a regular laptop, but there are some great deals to be had in the tablet market, and I wanted to explore this option first. 

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 12:15:14 PM »
OQO is a cool gadget, but tablets in general are kind of worrisome (at least to me).  Plus it's nice to have a machine to use for common everyday stuff (surfing, etc) as well.

Sony is overpriced, especially when it comes time to buy batteries.

Look at Fujitsu, or possibly at JVC.  I've got a JVC 7310 that's the size of a sheet of paper folded in half.  Used it a couple of times in the field, but it was too small to be comfortable for a lot of other things I needed it for.  I use a Fujitsu T70G now and I couldn't be happier with it for 2-4 channel recording.

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline rustoleum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 12:53:42 PM »
Sony Vaio C1VN, C1VPK, etc.

It's Small and easy to power for 8 hours or so (w/ Quad Cap. battery)

Offline Thom Joad

• Taperssection Member
  • Team TNT!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 05:00:54 PM »
I already have two laptops.  One is outdated, too slow, too big, and it's operating system is fairly sick.  The other is for work, and I really don't want to be hauling it to shows.  I also have a home desktop.  I use my work lappy and desktop for surfing, typing, etc.  So, I'm looking for something just for recording, hence it can be as small as possible since I won't be doing everyday work on it, just using the pointer to push the record button in wavelab

I've been looking at Fujitsu, as they seem to be used by many.  I'm trying to find a Toshiba Libretto U100 for cheap.  Great package with a 7.2" screen size.

TNJazz, any chance on you getting rid of that JVC anytime soon?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com