Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Filtering feedback?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
Filtering feedback?
« on: September 02, 2006, 01:08:35 PM »
Taped a show last night that had a really crappy PA, but the show ended up having some "historical significance."  Feedback became overwhelming in a few places.  The soundguy aplogized for it after the show ( ;D) and said maybe I could EQ it out with a notch. 

Does this sound like it'd be worthwhile, or a waste of time?

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Filtering feedback?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 02:40:53 PM »
Taped a show last night that had a really crappy PA, but the show ended up having some "historical significance."  Feedback became overwhelming in a few places.  The soundguy aplogized for it after the show ( ;D) and said maybe I could EQ it out with a notch. 

Does this sound like it'd be worthwhile, or a waste of time?

a notch filter is a good idea, try running inspector and see if you can pick out which freqs are causing issues. dl here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=71121.0

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 10:57:19 AM »
Awesome, thanks man!

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 11:10:20 AM »
no problem Sloan.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 05:52:15 PM »
I recorded a 10-piece jazz band last weekend indoors at a little place.  Had a bunch (mebbe a dozen) LOUD squeaky feedback episodes.  Took a chance and found I could hunt them down in Audacity by zeroing in on each one with the Analyze>Plot Spectrum tool.......it lets you see your frequency spectrum for the short moment you have highlighted.  It snaps to each peak, so you can make a note of the EXACT feedback frequency by floating your cursor across the frequency graph it makes (feedback was occuring usually in the 6000-10000 Hz range, sometimes there were harmonics in there also.)  The guy squeaking was moving around the small stage area a slight bit, so I was noticing that each feedback event had a slightly different center frequency.  I needed a notch filter that would let me specify what resonant frequency each event was happening at........and let me control how narrow a frequency range I wanted to subtract from the waveform for that little amount of time I used the filter    :hmmm: :smoking2: :hmmm:

So, I went looking aroung the interwebs, and found a sweet little Nyquist plug-in called "notch.ny" from the plug-ins area of the Audacity site.  I stuffed it into the ...\Audacity\Plug-Ins folder, fired up Audacity again, and then went to work erasing every single one of them, hunting them bastiges down like I was looking for ticks on a dog!!  Man, did it ever fix the recording.......big lifesaver.   ;D ;D ;D

You just highlight the offending event, plot the spectrum and note the peak frequency (or frequencies), pull up the notch filter, specify the frequency and shape (a "Q" of 4.5 worked best for me), apply the filter, and then re-plot the spectrum to see and then listen that the feedback is erased!

VIVA AUDACITY!!!!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 07:57:26 PM by capnhook »
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com