Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Too much gain...help to fix with SoundForge 8.0??  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Gawain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Too much gain...help to fix with SoundForge 8.0??
« on: December 18, 2006, 06:54:58 AM »
I set about 1/4 of the total gain with an MM preamp (around -10db) and made the stupid mistake to add also gain in my iriver h120 (maybe -8 db, can't remember exactly). So, some kind of distortion is in it (was a rock show open air, btw).....Is there a way to simply decrease the volume and get a decent result? I'm not too good with SoundForge but maybe any of you can give some tips (EQ settings or any other tool)
Thanks  :)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: Too much gain...help to fix with SoundForge 8.0??
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 12:26:26 PM »
If you clipped, there's not much you can do. Open up the wav in SF and if it's mushed flat against the top and bottom, you're kind of screwed. If it's only minor clipping (and I mean MINOR), then there are a few things you can do that have been discussed ad naseum elsewhere in the forums, use search. Otherwise, learn from it, and don't do it again next time!  :)
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Gawain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Too much gain...help to fix with SoundForge 8.0??
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 01:01:24 PM »
The wav fits less than 3/4 of the window, it's not a big clipping...will do a deep search here (thing I should have done before, but I wanted concrete solutions for SF 8) and try some things, maybe I can restore it...
And of course this is how this works: try and learn. Next time I'll be conservative with gain, at least you can work with low sound in post!
Thanks for the input  :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com