Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps MK41 vs MK41V  (Read 7751 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Schoeps MK41 vs MK41V
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2023, 12:36:41 PM »
In the photo above the mics need to be rotated 180 degrees in the mount.
The red dots should face forward.

Similar thread, see the illustration in the first post- https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=186491.0

Either of the orientations in that 1st post illustration will work, as the red dots face forward in both cases.  Choice between one or the other is mostly about cable management and of course which way the mount is setup to work.  Yours will be like the second illustration, which seems most common.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2023, 01:19:59 PM »
In the photo above the mics need to be rotated 180 degrees in the mount.
The red dots should face forward.

Similar thread, see the illustration in the first post- https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=186491.0

Either of the orientations in that 1st post illustration will work, as the red dots face forward in both cases.  Choice between one or the other is mostly about cable management and of course which way the mount is setup to work.  Yours will be like the second illustration, which seems most common.

Perfect!  Thx Lee.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2023, 05:13:48 PM »
Off topic, but somewhat relevant..

IMO, for either the 41 or 41V (or any super/hyper):
From my ear’s perspective..  I ‘think’ that to get the pattern’s full sound, the rear lobe of any super/hyper should not be blocked/baffled if possible.  Although there might be situations where that is preferred if there is a lot of noise right behind you or rear reflections or something.
But that rear lobe of the 41’s is magic IMO.
YMMV as it all might be my ears or in my head.

A friend once ran 41V’s vertically, but backwards on a stand (red dots aiming wrong directions).  I think that the recording was still listenable, but not what it could have been.

None the less, that’s a sweet mount!

.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2023, 07:22:58 PM »
I ‘think’ that to get the pattern’s full sound, the rear lobe of any super/hyper should not be blocked/baffled

Anything in close proximity to the microphone can effect pattern and response, particularly if its near or blocks the front or rear vents.  The larger the object is the greater its influence, and the closer the object is the greater its influence.

Ideally, unless intentionally using a baffle as part of the recording technique, one shouldn't have anything in close proximity to the microphones, but practically we need to mount them somehow, and when worn, a large object in close proximity is impossible to get away from.  When head worn, the head may or may not be leveraged as an intentional baffle.  It certainly is used intentionally for HRTF "dummy head" like setups.  Worn in a hat as discussed above, the arrangement is no longer HTRF dummy head like (both mics are out in front of the baffle, rather than on either side of it), but the head still acts as a baffle to the rear which may provide some useful sensitivity attenuation for sounds arriving from directly behind.  In any case, best to avoid blocking the sound path to both the front and rear vents as much as possible.

I've wondered how much of the sound of a supercard is related to the tightness of its pattern and how much is related to its small rear lobe.  That would be a good comp to make with a higher-order ambisonic microphone.  At a high enough order, one can retain a very similar front pattern to a first-order supercardioid but without any appreciable rear lobe.  I'd very much like to hear that. It may be the collective front and back lobe in combination (with inverted polarity) that produces the sound of the supercard that we are familiar with, more than just the 1st order pattern shape.

A friend once ran 41V’s vertically, but backwards on a stand (red dots aiming wrong directions).  I think that the recording was still listenable, but not what it could have been.

I run a pair of rear facing DPA supercards as a regular part of my multimicrophone array.  Its really interesting to listen to that pair in isolation, and compare it to the isolated forward facing microphones. So much of the sound we end up recording is the diffuse/reverberant sound filling the room, that even intentionally using supercards in that way to maximally reduce the sensitivity of that pair to sound arriving from the front hemisphere doesn't do as much as one might think to "eliminate the sound arriving from the front".

Regardless of how the microphones are oriented, when listened to in isolation we end up getting more similar sounding content in each of them than many folks probably realize.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2023, 08:49:35 PM »
I ‘think’ that to get the pattern’s full sound, the rear lobe of any super/hyper should not be blocked/baffled

Anything in close proximity to the microphone can effect pattern and response, particularly if its near or blocks the front or rear vents.  The larger the object is the greater its influence, and the closer the object is the greater its influence.

Not any tapers, but lots of people nowadays could put the rear lobe pointing straight into their ears and they'd be just fine.  :)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2023, 03:48:52 PM »
^ Not sure your meaning there.

What I was attempting to say is that although both can produce an audible effect, blocking the vents (front or sides) will be considerably more egregious to sound quality than the presence of an object in close proximity behind the microphone.

Applied, that means don't worry about your head, but do concerned yourself with maintaining an open sound path to the vents as much as possible.

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2023, 10:17:26 AM »
^ Not sure your meaning there.

Many people's heads are filled with a vacuum...won't interfere with the rear lobes of mic capsules.  I was joking...but maybe being semi-serious.   ;)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2023, 07:37:03 PM »
That's 14.7 psi worse than an being an airhead!  At least around here at sea level.

"So a vacuum headed taper walks into a millibar and says, I'm feeling a bit pressured here.."

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2023, 05:53:14 AM »
That's 14.7 psi worse than an being an airhead!  At least around here at sea level.

"So a vacuum headed taper walks into a millibar and says, I'm feeling a bit pressured here.."

Not related, but I heard a technical nerd joke today that I LOLed at.

The doctor tells a woman she only has six months to live.  He advises her to marry a chemist and move to Toledo.  She asks if that will help cure her illness.  He answers, no but it'll make six months seem like eternity.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2023, 03:37:28 PM »
PM me your emails, I took pics for someone last week, I'll send them to whoever wants them.

PM sent

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2023, 03:39:00 PM »
I see all the time here folks saying the 4Vs and 41Vs are much easier to run in a hat. I've always run 4s and 41s and I can't picture the advantage of the Vs in a hat either. If anyone can explain it (PM is fine), I would appreciate it as well. I doubt I'd change now since I have everything but I'd like to understand the advantage that the Vs offer.

+1

It depends on the hat.  The way I wear mine the V's won't work as well.

Yes, Kangol for some reason just looks out of place in florida ( just my opinion) just use mesh baseball cap, but would like to know mounting options, thank you

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2023, 04:23:26 PM »
Yes, Kangol for some reason just looks out of place in florida ( just my opinion)

A Kangol looks out of place everywhere. You have to be willing to make a fashion statement. I had an artist laugh at me the first time he saw me in the hat (taper friendly artist in a non-friendly venue).
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2023, 05:39:54 PM »
I don't care wearing a Kangol.
I'm there to get the job done, not to look well dressed.

it's a concert, not a fashion show :)
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2023, 07:23:14 PM »
Will that Shapeways mount work for MK 41s if I spin my Kangol around backwards or is my head in the way then?

I have sewn elastic loops into the Kangol that work OK but it is never really a stereo configuration.

And, I am normally dressed like an odd duckling anyway. I recently went to a show to meet another taper I had never met and as soon as I saw the knobby Kangol I knew he was the right guy. LOL
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2023, 07:39:48 PM »
Yes, Kangol for some reason just looks out of place in florida ( just my opinion)

A Kangol looks out of place everywhere. You have to be willing to make a fashion statement. I had an artist laugh at me the first time he saw me in the hat (taper friendly artist in a non-friendly venue).

I guess maybe what i meant those Kangols really make me sweat, they don't seem to breathe to well. I just sew elastic bands inside mesh baseball hat in what I hope is favorable configuration
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 07:44:52 PM by bluntforcetrauma »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com