Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Updated: Playback Newbie Help (Headpone amp & 24/96 USB)  (Read 4765 times)

Offline braweave

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Updated: Playback Newbie Help (Headpone amp & 24/96 USB)
« on: September 14, 2010, 09:09:36 PM »
So first off im probably going to get stoned for asking this. so "DUCKS!!"

Here it goes:

Over the years I have not really done anything for playback. I think it is time to change this.

I really want to have a nice set of headphones, I have had Akg K240's. I would prefer to not spend more than 200 on headphones so from what I can tell, I should just buy another pair.

I never really playback on anything other than my computer. Most of the time on Headphones. So for now Ill probably hold off on a speaker system. (although I will take recommendations on bookself sized playback speakers)

With that said what would I need to get to go from either my Imac or Macbook > Headphones. and have it be 24 bit and great quality.

I think this means I am looking for a good Usb headphone amp. (unless I am missing something). What are some recommendations for under $250.00?

Again, I know I have been here for a long time, and should have done this a while ago, so please accept my apologies for not doing this sooner and have mercy on my soul!!
-Brandon
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:41:23 AM by braweave »
Neumann KM140 > Sound Devices MP-2 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
Re: Playback Newbie Help
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 09:53:47 PM »
if this gets you stoned

...well......

nice post.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline braweave

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Playback Newbie Help
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:06:54 PM »
I did a little research and from what I can tell, I should just buy another pair of K240's Unless anyone can recommend something that is better for under $200 (I might be willing to go to 225 or 250, but I would need some convincing.)

So, I guess I'm looking for some recommendations on a good 24 bit amp that can plug into the usb (or firewire) ports of my Imac and macbook.

Thanks!

Offline braweave

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Playback Newbie Help (Headpone amp)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 11:01:25 PM »
in looking through some other threads and doing a little research. I think I have found something that will fit my needs.

However, I have a few questions.

Does the Imac and Macbook output via USB @ 24 Bits?

If not, what do I need to output @ 24 Bits?

If so, What do you think about / what are the differences between the Ibasso D2 http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=43 and The Ibasso D4 http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=44 Other than the obvious of being able to use the external battery.

Are both of these 24 bit? I cant seem to find any info on their website about them.

Thanks

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 12:13:13 AM »
in looking through some other threads and doing a little research. I think I have found something that will fit my needs.

However, I have a few questions.

Does the Imac and Macbook output via USB @ 24 Bits?

If not, what do I need to output @ 24 Bits?

If so, What do you think about / what are the differences between the Ibasso D2 http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=43 and The Ibasso D4 http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=44 Other than the obvious of being able to use the external battery.

Are both of these 24 bit? I cant seem to find any info on their website about them.

Thanks

See if you have an optical or spdif out on your imac. Your macbook will have the optical/headphone combo jack, and then use optical over usb any day of the week. If the akgs are low-impedance, and you are attracted to the ibasso line, I recommend the D10. It has a DAC & Amp all in one like the D4, but it has multiple digital/analog inputs, and you can swap opamps to change the sound signature. It can do headphone out or line-out from the dac, and really isn't that expensive. I had one for a while and it packs a bang/buck. On that note, I got the biggest benefit from using/adding an outboard DAC to my macbook, while the amp hasn't been the big focus for me. ymmv.

As far as output from the mac, I've never had problems doing 24bit out, but usb is typically relegated to a top end of 16b/48khz while the optical out is at least 24/96 (which is why I recommended the optical).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 01:03:12 AM »
I wanted to get one of these for a while:  http://www.audiophileproducts.com/fubar4plus

But it doesn't do 24bit via USB, only SPDIF/TOSLINK... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline braweave

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 07:36:11 AM »
so since it sounds like USB outputs only @ 16 bits can any of you recommend a cheap USB plug that would give me an SPDIF or Optical output?
Thanks,
Brandon

Offline braweave

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 11:18:53 AM »
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit.html

I found this one, and it seems to be the cheapest that still offers 24/96.

However I also found this one

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=15185

which seems to be a little more. but it seems to offer more outputs.  which could be better for later on down the road.

Thoughts??
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:30:36 AM by braweave »

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 12:13:51 PM »

which seems to be a little more. but it seems to offer more outputs.  which could be better for later on down the road.

Thoughts??

Make sure to read the caveats on the second one. Yes, it will deliver 24bit audio over usb, but only in certain circumstances, you're macbook should be fine, but I don't know the age of your imac (but the macbook already has an optical out on it). If you are really interested in the first one, I'd find out what the usb chipset is as anything that is supporting Win98/OS9.2 is suspect in my mind about actually receiving 24bit USB audio. The transport chipset is really the deciding factor from what I gather, not the DAC, on whether it will work which is why you see small units like the ibasso ones that support 24/96, but not over usb.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline braweave

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 12:34:32 PM »

Thoughts??

Make sure to read the caveats on the second one. Yes, it will deliver 24bit audio over usb, but only in certain circumstances, you're macbook should be fine, but I don't know the age of your imac (but the macbook already has an optical out on it). If you are really interested in the first one, I'd find out what the usb chipset is as anything that is supporting Win98/OS9.2 is suspect in my mind about actually receiving 24bit USB audio. The transport chipset is really the deciding factor from what I gather, not the DAC, on whether it will work which is why you see small units like the ibasso ones that support 24/96, but not over usb.

My Imac is brand new (I just bought it last year) My Macbook is a few years old, but I plan on buying a brand new one within the next few months.

I am a little confused by what you are saying. Are you saying that If I go (Imac or macbook > USB 24bit converter > Ibasso headphone amp) that it may not be actually outputing @ 24 Bits??

If I am reading what you are saying correctly, the USB devices above might not output @ 24bit. Is this correct? If so, what do I need to do to find out if it is 24 bit?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:39:46 PM by braweave »

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 02:55:05 PM »

Thoughts??

My Imac is brand new (I just bought it last year) My Macbook is a few years old, but I plan on buying a brand new one within the next few months.

I am a little confused by what you are saying. Are you saying that If I go (Imac or macbook > USB 24bit converter > Ibasso headphone amp) that it may not be actually outputing @ 24 Bits??

If I am reading what you are saying correctly, the USB devices above might not output @ 24bit. Is this correct? If so, what do I need to do to find out if it is 24 bit?

Thanks

The chipset on the unit that will receive the usb cable. They will probably be capable of 24bit output (notice both accept non-usb digital signals), but may not over usb. The issue as I understand it is in the usb chipset, there was a lock on the chipset for a long time so unless the mfg paid a lot of money to use a specific one, nothing ever went above 16/48k. I think the price has come down recently, but it's still not a real common feature.

If both of your macs are new, why not use optical and avoid the entire problem & extra gear? In my experience it was plug in and go (hell, I still do that but I feed a Grace 901 via optical from my macbook).

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 08:56:05 PM »

Thoughts??

I have one of these, which I run from an old Shuttle system running XP, and a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro/80 headphones. Great combo, BUT, every time I've tried it from a laptop (I've tried a ThinkPad T30, a Dell Inspiron whose model number I've forgotten, and an Acer Aspire One) it has yielded occasional clicks and pops. So, it normally stays hooked to the Shuttle box.

I have no idea how well it would work with a MacBook.

Although I suspect there's a A->D->A conversion, I've used it as an impromptu analog mic preamp into my LS-10 line in, with beautiful results. It could also be used with the digi out and a bit bucket, but I'm not sure about sampling rates in that kind of setup.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 11:42:01 PM »

You can see the DAC Chip used in both the D4 and D10 models Ibasso lists.  The PCM2706 in the D4 is a 16/48 chip.  Although the WM8740 is 24/192.  I'm not sure why both are used???

The PCM2906 in the D10 is a 16/48 USB chip.  And again, this one uses the WM8740, presumably for the SPDIF input.

Terry 
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Re: Updated: Playback Newbie Help (Headpone amp & 24/96 USB)
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 12:02:41 AM »

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Updated: Playback Newbie Help (Headpone amp & 24/96 USB)
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 12:02:55 PM »
I figured this might be a good thread to ask this in. I figured it would be pointless to start a new thread for this very simple question.

So I'm looking at getting a pair of Audio Technica M50 headphones for my home listening. Do I need a headphone amp if I am using them with my laptop or iPod?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com