Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new to studio monitors  (Read 5671 times)

Offline bobsmith19

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Live from Atlanta
new to studio monitors
« on: November 21, 2007, 10:17:55 AM »
Hey, I've been thinking about studio monitors, but I am not sure how they work.  I don't have any studio equipment, only a PC with soundcard (regular old SoundBlaster Live with 1/8" plugs).  From my research I'm guessing I need active monitors?  But how do you hook them up?  What do I need to hook them to?  Most of the pictures I've found they have XLR and RCA plugs on the back of them.  Do they connect directly to your soundcard somehow?  Any advice and explanation is appreciated.  Thanks, Bob.
Milab VM-44 Link > SX-M2 > PMD661 OCM
Nevaton MCE 400 > PS1 > PMD661 OWM
AT853 (80s model) > PMD620 OWM

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: new to studio monitors
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 11:16:18 AM »
Hey, I've been thinking about studio monitors, but I am not sure how they work.  I don't have any studio equipment, only a PC with soundcard (regular old SoundBlaster Live with 1/8" plugs).  From my research I'm guessing I need active monitors?  But how do you hook them up?  What do I need to hook them to?  Most of the pictures I've found they have XLR and RCA plugs on the back of them.  Do they connect directly to your soundcard somehow?  Any advice and explanation is appreciated.  Thanks, Bob.

There are two different types of studio monitors

A- Powered ( usually have a XLR and a RCA ) connector on the back and always have a power cable going to them. These are the best option if you dont want a separate power amp * big and expensive * But in some cases you sacrifice dynamic range, but only if you buy cheap monitors.

B- Non powered monitors have two terminals on the back red and black and they might have whats called a speakon or 1/4 connector x 2 if they can be biamped. This means you will need at the very least a power amp and at the very most a power amp and a crossover. This can get expensive rather quickly but the advantage for this set up "can be" higher SPL with less distortion. These will connect directly to your sound card provided you get speakers that have an "unbalanced" input you will need a special cable that goes from 3.5 mm stereo to two RCA OR two 1/4 inch cables.

I would personally go with A.

Some of the monitors I would recommend are

Genlec, JBL, Tannoy, Event, and KRK. But there are others you can spend from $200 to $20,000 for a good set of monitors I recommend getting the best you can afford, only if you plan on making money by say doing some recording.. or if hearing your recording with a good balanced speaker is important you might want to consider getting powered home stereo receiver and buying a set of good home stereo speakers. Recording speakers tend to have there own flavor Genlec tends to be pretty flat, JBL tends to be bright almost to flat, Tannoy tends to have good imaging at the expense of low end. Event tends to be cheap and ok sounding, and KRK tends to be what most people buy for a home studio. If you want good low end you will also need or might consider a subwoofer. But opinions on this subject are like assholes.. Every one's got one. The bottom line is dont ever buy anything unless you hear them for your self with program material that is very familiar to you bring a cd down to the store for your listening tests. Also make sure the speakers will fit into your space. If you use a CRT monitor you might also need to make sure that your monitors are magnetically shielded. This prevents the magnets from magnetizing your computer monitor! and making it look like ass. Its a really hard thing to find good speakers do research shop around and ask lots of questions. In the end you will end up with good speakers. I really like Genlec but they might be out of your price range at $800 a set but again especially in this business you get what you pay for. I have a set of 1033's that I have had for about 6 years now and they will never leave me. I rely on them for my mixes and for my day to day listening.

Good luck

PS.. Here is a link to a pair of Genlec monitors I really like and they are cheap right now..
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Genelec-8020A-NEW-Condition-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ300174130911QQihZ020QQcategoryZ47093QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Chris
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 11:28:52 AM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 12:36:03 PM »
i run genelec 1031a's, but they are probably way too excessive for what you are looking for.  But the Gennie's that Chris linked to would work just fine.

Like Chris said--do your homework and listen to monitors before you buy.  A lot of the bigger name monitors can be auditioned at Guitar Center,etc...then you can hit the web and look for deals or pre-owned.

Enjoy.
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 12:47:01 PM »
I use the Blue Sky media desk and am a huge fan. I paid close to $600 a few years ago.  They have a cheaper model EXO now.

Worth checking out IMO, very accurate.

Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 01:36:19 PM »
I hear great things about these blue sky's.
also, the Avantone "mix cube" gets good reviews, and are not too expensive.  Passive though.

for the money (cheap)  the Edirol MA-15D is not bad.  Plus, it has 24bit DAC built in so you can run a signal from your deck, your sound card...whatever.
I've got the older model, 10D and I love them for PC speakers. 
add a chaintek AV-710 sound card ($20something, 24bit digital card) and you're in business.

eBay!!!!
http://tinyurl.com/yqjohe

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 01:50:36 PM »
I'll second the recomendation on the Blue Sky's. I'm running the Prodesk 2.1. Great sound.

Look into buying seconds (B stock) on their website to save a bunch of cash.

http://www.abluesky.com/asp/default.asp
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 01:52:54 PM »
check full compass too

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 03:09:19 AM »
Other inexpensive and good active monitors between $250-500 include...

Alesis M1 Mk II

Alesis M1 Active 620 & 520

Behringer Truth B2031A

Behringer Truth 2030A

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 11:38:40 AM »
I recently got a pair of KRK RP-6s.

Bottom line is that you need to go somewhere and listen to these monitors before you buy them. I took a couple of CDs of shows I had recorded (different styles of music) and spend about an hour + trying out different monitors at a local Guitar Center. From this you'll start to get a feel of how the different brands sound. I then went home and did some research online and ended up getting a great deal on my RP-6s.
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 02:18:59 AM »
for the money (cheap)  the Edirol MA-15D is not bad.  Plus, it has 24bit DAC built in so you can run a signal from your deck, your sound card...whatever.

just got these (thanks nick for the recommendation) and they rock!  for less than $200 I am VERY pleased.  I run coax from my soundcard (audiophile 24/96).  they also can have optical and rca ins.  pretty sure they are the same guts (dac etc) as the ua5.  sounds great at 24/96 for editing/playback etc.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 09:39:55 AM »
+T for being cheap!
:)

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 10:39:32 AM »
While I also highly recommend listening to the various brands to see what sounds best to you, don't forget to check the yard sale here at ts.com. Currently for sale is a pair of KRK V6s.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,94692.msg1261293.html#msg1261293

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 12:08:01 PM »
While I also highly recommend listening to the various brands to see what sounds best to you, don't forget to check the yard sale here at ts.com. Currently for sale is a pair of KRK V6s.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,94692.msg1261293.html#msg1261293

thanks for plugging my sale.  :)

while it's hard to beat the price of a monitor pair(with DAC...pretty cool) under 200 bucks, if you have a couple extra hundred to spend, KRK's should definitely be on the "listening list". i haven't felt the need to upgrade from the V6's until i was quoted some stellar prices on passive dynaudio bm6s and bm15s(which i previously thought were WAY out of my range).

RebelRebel

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 01:20:00 AM »
never heard anything but good about the Blue Skys.. they are affordable and have a lot of very informed folks lauding em..

Offline STRAWMAN

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 05:42:12 PM »
krk's are sick

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com