Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tube Failure Sucks  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Tube Failure Sucks
« on: October 28, 2005, 11:48:26 PM »
One of my Amperex 6DJ8s died, I'm pissed.   >:(

Thanks for letting me vent.

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Tube Failure Sucks
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 03:16:38 AM »
 :'(     All tubies weep at the passing of another Old Stock soldier.....  +

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 08:37:27 PM »
I lost three this year, all at the same time. $340.00 later I was up & running again, OUCH!!!!!!!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 11:26:32 AM »
Never had this problem with SS.   :P   jk   

That does suck, got any extras around the house?  Might want to stock up!

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 11:29:38 AM »
This was one of the reasons I decided to go a different direction.  I loved the tube sound, don't get me wrong, but I never put MP3's through it, b/c I didn't want to waste tube life on MP3s.  But, for many listening purposes, MP3's do have their place (just background listening, lets say) - so I felt that I couldn't maximize the versatility of my playback system w/ a tube amp...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 01:07:53 PM »
I'm very lucky that the tubes that I like best in my system also happen to be pretty inexpensive...

nothing more annoying than settling into the chair and losing a tube though :P
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 01:29:03 PM »
I had a lot of cognitive dissonance when I had my tube amp... I was always worried about wasting tube life on inferior recordings/albums etc.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 01:51:34 PM »
get those transistors out of here :P

;)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 02:13:11 PM »
you've got me worried....

any recommendations for KT88's?  nothing too expensive or hard to find.  I need a quad.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 04:36:43 PM »
Never had this problem with SS.   :P   jk   

That does suck, got any extras around the house?  Might want to stock up!

Unfortunately it took awhile to find the pair I had and the only other source I've found is charging $140 per tube which is a little too steep for me.  I replaced the A frames with a pair of Amperex 6DJ8s from the Bugleboy era, which sounds good but not quite as good as the A frames.  Due to the cost and increasing rarity of quality NOS 6DJ8 tubes I've decided to upgrade my headphone amp rather than buying more tubes.

And for all you solid state guys, the tube sound is worth the added hassles.  :)

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 06:56:15 PM »
Let's not forget but we are talking about tube life that is in the hundreds or thousands of hours, that is ALOT of listening. Also when they actually do come up with an amp that sounds JUST like tubes, not similar then I will switch  8)
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

BobW

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 10:32:16 PM »
you've got me worried....

any recommendations for KT88's?  nothing too expensive or hard to find.  I need a quad.

EH KT-90s

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 11:02:39 AM »
Carl - you have BAT gear right?

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 12:29:59 PM »
Yes, I have a VK-60, I am considering adding another to Bi-Amp but may add a pre instead.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com