Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: i want to know about limiter function  (Read 2492 times)

Offline zoo440

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
i want to know about limiter function
« on: June 04, 2016, 01:42:32 AM »
i want to know about limiter function, what dose it work for? what's difference between limiter on and off? i'm using tascam DR 40, i was spoiled my ourdoor live concert recording , the sound was distorted especially base drum part except other parts were very clear, setting was dual rec, dual LVL i don't know how to set it up, dual LVL is raging from 0- -12db, should i off or setting at -12db, and is there mics gain control on tascam DR40 ,please give me your tips for best sound setting
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 02:48:04 AM by zoo440 »

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: i want to know about limiter function
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 11:31:45 AM »
i want to know about limiter function, what dose it work for? what's difference between limiter on and off? i'm using tascam DR 40, i was spoiled my ourdoor live concert recording , the sound was distorted especially base drum part except other parts were very clear, setting was dual rec, dual LVL i don't know how to set it up, dual LVL is raging from 0- -12db, should i off or setting at -12db, and is there mics gain control on tascam DR40 ,please give me your tips for best sound setting

Read here:

http://tascam.com/product/dr-40/

If you recorded in dual level (4 channel) mode and one pair of channels is distorted (peaks at or over 0 dB) then check the lower level pair of channels.  If that is not run up to 0 dB but still distorted then the source was too loud. 

I don't think you need limiter.  Limiters often hide bigger issues because they flatten the loudest parts (and may not do that well, leaving the peaks distorted).  It is better to see the real levels and to manually set your levels so the loudest peaks are maybe -6 dB at the highest. 

It sounds like the loudest parts were too loud or were recorded too loud. 

Use manual level settings.  Don't let it go all the way to 0 dB. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline zoo440

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: i want to know about limiter function
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 11:39:24 AM »
thank you for information

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.275 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com