Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY Microtrack Dongle....HELP  (Read 1948 times)

Offline insanescott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
DIY Microtrack Dongle....HELP
« on: March 23, 2007, 07:53:35 AM »
I have followed these plans(listed below), but cant seem to get my dongle working correctly.  Can anyone draw up a quick schematic chart so I can make sure I have it correctly hooked, or tell me what cables go where? Thanks in advance.

Scott

>>
All parts secured on a trip to Maplin:
- box is LH56L ("potting box miniature", 30mm x 20mm x 15mm)
- 1/4" jack plugs are (I think) YW07H / JH99H. remove and discard the barrel/strain relief
- 3.5mm socket is (I think) FK03D
- for wire, grab a small amount of some fairly thin stuff.
- once assembled I potted the whole lot in quick setting epoxy resin (maplin N60BZ)

Soldering iron and solder, obviously essential!
Multimeter handy to check for shorts before you pot in resin.

Recipe:

Drill two holes in the bottom of the box, large enough to accept the body of the 1/4" plugs. The ABS is fragile and will probably break, that's ok, you're going to pot it at the end.

Chop a bit out at one side for the 3.5mm socket, again it will probably shatter but that's still ok.

With connectors roughly in place, solder wires: left to left, right to right, shields all together.

Now before you pot it in the epoxy, make sure you have a good seal. Any gaps/cracks and the epoxy WILL seep out. I used blu-tack: roll out a thin layer of blutack and place it over the top of the MT (over the 1/4" sockets), poke holes in the blutack where the 1/4 sockets are. place un-potted dongle firmly into MT, so that everything is nicely snug against the blutack... that's sealed the bottom. Now build up blutack around the 3.5mm socket. So everything is nice and watertight.

Squeeze out a decent chunk of epoxy (onto a piece of paper, or card) and mix together... it has the consisntency of golden treacle. Pour into top of box. Try to mix enough epoxy to fill the box in one go (it's OK to waste some epoxy). Wait 5 minutes, the epoxy will go off, kick out a ton of heat, and set solid. While the epoxy is still hot it's easy(easier) to clean up any drops/tears.

Offline edwardo_machino

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: DIY Microtrack Dongle....HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 08:55:52 AM »
What is th e purpose of this mod?

Offline insanescott

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 08:59:06 AM »
I have read in several threads that by using the 1/4in inputs the Microtrack has more headroom.  I recorded a rock show the other night and my recorder was clipping like crazy.  Can you help any?

Offline hawghunter

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 09:12:46 PM »
I have read in several threads that by using the 1/4in inputs the Microtrack has more headroom.  I recorded a rock show the other night and my recorder was clipping like crazy.  Can you help any?

What type of mics,did you use a batterybox or pre-amp, and what settings were you using on the unit?
Thats what info someone will need to know to help you out.
ISO: NIRVANA :), 8/15/91 - The Roxy

930's > MMe

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com