Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What bad batteries can do to your recording?  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
What bad batteries can do to your recording?
« on: July 19, 2008, 10:47:33 AM »
I have no samples available and my question is quite simple.
Can a new but bad set of batteries ( lithium coin type batteries) in a 9v BB result in a thin and weak sounding recording? More: the fresh out of the box bad battery is an usual thing? ( I confess: it was a no brand battery :P).
I'll run a few test with new and hopefully good batteries, I'm just curious.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts on that  ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: What bad batteries can do to your recording?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 12:58:30 PM »
Sorry I can't help you with this one, but I found out the hard way what happens when your standard garden variety alkaline 9v goes into its death throes while your taping with your Church Audio STC-9000. It ain't pretty and it leaves you wishing you weren't so cheap! ;D ::)

Good luck! MSTaper 8)
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 02:40:11 PM »
Sorry I can't help you with this one, but I found out the hard way what happens when your standard garden variety alkaline 9v goes into its death throes while your taping with your Church Audio STC-9000. It ain't pretty and it leaves you wishing you weren't so cheap! ;D ::)

Good luck! MSTaper 8)

Yes, you're right.  ;D
I'm totally paranoid about the 9V battery in my CA 9100. Since one my batteries died on me mid-show, I kept changing them after 4 shows. Well, I'm probably on Greenpeace's black list.
Thanks for your response.  Much appreciated ;)

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 04:50:53 PM »
One word: Voltmeter.   ;D

I have been using the same Duracell M3 9V for over 10 shows now and it's still showing as 7.4 volts on the meter. Obviously if you have a bad battery straight out of the pack, its no use checking the volts. BUT what I have started to do is recording anything around the house for a few hours to 'wear' the battery in with my rig. Then check the volts so make sure its still 'healthy'. If you have a bad battery you will soon know about it as it will not last too long.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 05:02:47 PM »
One word: Voltmeter.   ;D

I have been using the same Duracell M3 9V for over 10 shows now and it's still showing as 7.4 volts on the meter. Obviously if you have a bad battery straight out of the pack, its no use checking the volts. BUT what I have started to do is recording anything around the house for a few hours to 'wear' the battery in with my rig. Then check the volts so make sure its still 'healthy'. If you have a bad battery you will soon know about it as it will not last too long.

Good point  ;)
Thanks for the tip.

Offline MG916

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 10:55:51 PM »
Make sure you test those batteries under load conditions for an accurate reading.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 01:07:29 AM »
Make sure you test those batteries under load conditions for an accurate reading.

No problem.
But what about my original question? Does anyone ever heard about thin/weak recordings due to bad batteries on a BB?
Thanks in advance to all of you  ;)

datgirl333

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 11:28:52 AM »

No problem.
But what about my original question? Does anyone ever heard about thin/weak recordings due to bad batteries on a BB?

I had a new 9v Energizer alkaline go bad in a battery box during Railroad Earth in Asheville last month but didn't know it until I was reviewing the show afterwards.  Noticed a SIGNIFICANT reduction in volume level about an hour into the set.  I knew I had not touched the levels then so I traced the cause back to the battery--when I took it out of the bb, the bottom of the battery was bulged out, like it had had GAS or something (maybe it did?), causing it to pop out. 

Never seen THAT before...::)  LUCKILY the battery did not leak when it failed.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 11:35:08 AM by datgirl333 »

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 03:42:08 PM »

No problem.

I had a new 9v Energizer alkaline go bad in a battery box during Railroad Earth in Asheville last month but didn't know it until I was reviewing the show afterwards.  Noticed a SIGNIFICANT reduction in volume level about an hour into the set.  I knew I had not touched the levels then so I traced the cause back to the battery--when I took it out of the bb, the bottom of the battery was bulged out, like it had had GAS or something (maybe it did?), causing it to pop out. 

Never seen THAT before...::)  LUCKILY the battery did not leak when it failed.

Thanks for your response. Good to know that your battery problem ended up well  ;D.
Anyway, we had the same problem: a bad battery ruined an otherwise great recording. >:(

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com