Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tcd-d3 vs. tcd-d7/d8  (Read 5034 times)

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
tcd-d3 vs. tcd-d7/d8
« on: November 16, 2004, 10:32:40 AM »
Just wondering what the benefits are of using a d7 or d8 over a d3.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

jpschust

Re: tcd-d3 vs. tcd-d7/d8
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 10:56:45 AM »
better transports, for some reason i remember the d3 as being playback only, but i could be wrong.  also the d8s are the newest out of that bunch so age wise probably going to be in better shape- that doesn't mean the owner has taken care of it, but that's another issue entirely.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 11:16:53 AM »
d3 does record.

Biggest disadvantage of the d3 is its age -- it was officially introduced in the US in 1990 (though I believe it was available in japan as early as 1987).  Although I don't know when it was discontinued, it likely wasn't produced for long after the d7's introduction in 1993.  Thus, you're likely looking at a 12 to 15 year old deck. 

Another factor, it's my understanding that both the d7 and d8 are still covered by Sony's flat rate repair policy (i.e. $1xx.xx to fix anything wrong with the deck, including head replacement) -- the D3 is not covered by this and I'm not even sure if parts remain available.

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 08:17:18 PM »
d3 does record.

Biggest disadvantage of the d3 is its age -- it was officially introduced in the US in 1990 (though I believe it was available in japan as early as 1987).  Although I don't know when it was discontinued, it likely wasn't produced for long after the d7's introduction in 1993.  Thus, you're likely looking at a 12 to 15 year old deck. 

Another factor, it's my understanding that both the d7 and d8 are still covered by Sony's flat rate repair policy (i.e. $1xx.xx to fix anything wrong with the deck, including head replacement) -- the D3 is not covered by this and I'm not even sure if parts remain available.

not sure how the warrenty deal works. my d8 has had multiple owners so i don't think i'd be covered anyway. my d3 records just fine. i don't  have a batt. for it and if i could find one, i dought it would hold a charge. new one? probly only if i make one. maybe some day. it seems a pretty tough unit, but i'd spend a few extra $s and get a d8. or double your money(?) and get a tascam. full size heads vs. 1/2 size. not sure but the m1 and d100 might have full sized heads also.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 09:33:18 PM »
We are talking about (at least from my recent investigation) a huge price difference here. The units I looked at differed in price by at least $300 to $400. Ususally more. These d3's are being sold cheap. And I'm talking about units that are  reported to be  in perfect operating condition from reputable long time ebay sellers. This extremely low price, in comparison to d7's and d8's, is what sparked my interest.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 10:08:53 PM »
right, "double yor $" .  d8s are around $300.  i wouldn't invest in a d3 as your main unit though, no matter what the price. if you're gonna run tape, and keep the price down, go for a d8. you'ld be better off w/ a jb3 if you want to go down to that price range. d3s might be a lot less theese days, but then there's a reason for that  ;).
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline Bubb Rubb

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 12:52:21 AM »
D3's are out of control!  I love to see people running them

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 04:38:06 AM »
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 04:56:16 AM »
if i were you, i would get a Sony M1, D100 then D8, in that order.  you can still find great deals on M1s from time to time.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 06:53:56 PM »
I have a D3 and a D100 and I usually end up using the D3 more.  It will take a signal from any deck if I'm patching and I like the fact that it has an actual power button and is not always on like other models.  If you can get one for cheap that is in good shape I'd say go for it.  There are lots of external power solutions for it as the input is 6v same as the D7/8.
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 07:06:39 PM »
Something I would consider before buying a 10-12yo D3 as your only DAT deck, you are going to need to rewind and play back the tape at least once to transfer it and most likely you are going to be using it to listen to tapes to.  That amounts to alot of head wear and time on the motor for rewind and cuing.   One reason that my D7 has lasted 10 years is that I have multiple home decks for cloning/transfers, so the D7 gets used to record only and some light rewinding of the recorded leader. 

If you can find a decent working D3 for less than $50, then no real loss if it fails.  But if you are spending a couple hundred, I think that you would be better off with a nomad or going the extra to get a deck that was manufactured in this century.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 07:11:39 PM »
Note, the sony flat rate repair deal that I mentioned above is not a warranty/etc.  It's basically an arrangement provided by Sony to anybody with a d7 or d8 or d100 (but not an M1 since it's not a consumer deck) that provides whatever repairs are necessary for a fixed price, including head replacement, etc.

Thus, a very real advantage to a d7 or d8 over a d3 is that with a d7/d8 sony will, for a little over $100, rebuild your deck to working condition (as long as it wasn't abused). 

hexyjones

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 07:19:35 PM »
Note, the sony flat rate repair deal that I mentioned above is not a warranty/etc.  It's basically an arrangement provided by Sony to anybody with a d7 or d8 or d100 (but not an M1 since it's not a consumer deck) that provides whatever repairs are necessary for a fixed price, including head replacement, etc.

Thus, a very real advantage to a d7 or d8 over a d3 is that with a d7/d8 sony will, for a little over $100, rebuild your deck to working condition (as long as it wasn't abused). 

Are you sure they are still doing the flat rate repair for those models?...I thought I heard they had stopped. But, that may have been a dream.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 07:22:35 PM »
Are you sure they are still doing the flat rate repair for those models?...I thought I heard they had stopped. But, that may have been a dream.

I head the same thing, that D7s were too old to qualify.  I've also heard stories where flat rate repair had to be applied multiple times before they finally did the full head/board replacement.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 07:24:09 PM »
I'd heard they stopped and heard the d7 was too old, but then heard they still were doing this for the d8 and d7-- I'd also heard they'd discontinued the d8, but doug oade sez it's still in production.  

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com