Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 and stealth  (Read 5139 times)

Offline Music is alive

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • SPCMC8(cards)>SPSPSB6>NJB3
    • My DVD trade list
JB3 and stealth
« on: February 23, 2005, 12:31:44 AM »
Those that tape with the JB3 in a stealth - not open - environment - how do you get the device in?  Do you crotch it, or do you "hide it in plain sight" like a CD-walkman?

It occurs to me that given its CD-walkman appearance, one thought is to hide it in plain sight in a fanny pack and some headphones and just stroll in with it - but will they let you in the door (arena shows) with such a device openly displayed, even if they have no clue that it records?  Or will they make you take it back to the car?
There's a little black spot on the sun today
That's my soul up there

http://www.geocities.com/sailaway_radiosong/DVDlist.html

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
Re: JB3 and stealth
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 01:24:58 AM »
I'm working on a mod for the jb3 right now.  Its going to be a fabrication really.  I am going to either 1. pain my jb3 to look like a sony walkman or 2. find a cd case and mod it to fit on my jb3.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline Music is alive

• Taperssection Regular
    • My DVD trade list
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 02:22:42 AM »
But will most venues allow you in if they just think it's a regular CD walkman (i.e. not a recording device)?  Or will they not let it in?  Folks that in fact stealth with NJB3, how do they typically get it in?
That's my soul up there

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 05:55:22 AM »
But will most venues allow you in if they just think it's a regular CD walkman (i.e. not a recording device)?  Or will they not let it in?  Folks that in fact stealth with NJB3, how do they typically get it in?

I have answered this before, but if you guys don't mind the repeat, I don't mind typing!

My technique is to have no technique - the JB3 lives in my jacket pocket. As you point out, it looks a bit like a CD player, and thats what security assume it is. Generally they are more interested in getting people through the door as quickly as possible, or looking for drink cans / bottles / sometimes cameras.

100+ stealth recordings with no problems, so far. I guess at some stage I WILL get busted, but I'm reasonably subtle about things, even though I'm a nervous taper (I have to check the Nomad every couple of songs, to see if its still recording, and I still have levels).
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

hexyjones

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 06:43:51 AM »
ASSUMPTION #1 - PEOPLE ARE STUPID! - Your average Amercian just isnt that discerning...

These days everyones cell phone has little blue glowing screen!!! - No one notices stealthers anymore...

You young'ns dont know how easy you have it...

Just walk in with your stuff!!!!

You are more likely to call yourself out by being paranoid and sneaky...

I stealthed "Jars of Clay" - a Christian "Praise" Band - with my JB3 on my lap...checked levels whenever I liked...right in the middle of the threater...

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 10:12:39 AM »
Agreed with above. I have never even attempted to crotch the jb3, there is no need. More often then not I won't have a jacket or pockets big enough to put it in, so I walk in with it in my hands. No questions have ever been asked. I've actaully been to a few shows that I saw others doing the same, with the JB3. Takes the paranoia factor right out of the equation. I've been to small clubs, big rooms, and arenas and have never been asked to take it back.

"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 10:44:44 AM »
Do you guys leave the leather pouch off when attempting this method?  I have leather pouches for mine and I think it makes them look not quite as CD-player-ish.

Agreed with above. I have never even attempted to crotch the jb3, there is no need. More often then not I won't have a jacket or pockets big enough to put it in, so I walk in with it in my hands. No questions have ever been asked. I've actaully been to a few shows that I saw others doing the same, with the JB3. Takes the paranoia factor right out of the equation. I've been to small clubs, big rooms, and arenas and have never been asked to take it back.

-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

hexyjones

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 10:49:19 AM »
I dont have the pouch - I suspect the majority of us dont...

You have to see this from the normal persons context...

Only YOU are seeing the pouch - no one is thinking on that level at all...!!!

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 10:51:52 AM »
I use the pouch, and as stated, never was looked at twice.
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline mondraryfields

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 11:24:50 AM »

I keep my Nomad in my jacket pocket.  I've had security ask me twice what was in my pocket.  Both times I just pulled it out and said it was my cd player.  They didn't pay any more attention to it and proceeded with the rest of the pat-down.  I was nervous bringing it in this way at first, but now I do it without even thinking about it. 
DPA 4061 > MMA6000 > Nomad JB3
http://home.mn.rr.com/livemusictrading/

Offline Music is alive

• Taperssection Regular
    • My DVD trade list
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 01:48:55 PM »
Ok, thank you guys, I appreciate that.  It does seem to me like you could bring it in among other stuff (like a fanny pack with cell phone, keys etc) and unless  the security guy is really, really cold-blooded, he isn't going to make you carry what he thinks is just a CD walkman with headphones back out to your car.  The reassurances I've heard in this thread were comforting. 

I have some more newbie questions and will post them tonight  :)  I appreciate the responses and the helpfulness.
That's my soul up there

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 01:57:38 PM »
The only way to get into Tool is to crotch it or have a your lady put it in a purse full of womens feminine products and shit like that.  Most other places, I agree that you can just put it in your pocket and claim it is a CD player. Headphones help too.
-Karl

hexyjones

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 02:02:57 PM »
The only way to get into Tool is to crotch it or have a your lady put it in a purse full of womens feminine products and shit like that.  Most other places, I agree that you can just put it in your pocket and claim it is a CD player. Headphones help too.

You team evil guys have a whole other world of problems! - moshers, etc...

Good point though - expect higher scrutiny at harder edged shows...

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 02:12:26 PM »
Thats why we are TEAM FUCKING EVIL!  Hard core tapers rule!  I feel like I am getting too old for it already at the ripe old age of 27.  My nerves just cant take it like they used to.  Now I get all nervous the entire 6 hours before a tough stealth show, my woman is one cool kitten when it comes to it, but then again she doesnt usually care if it gets taped or not (try getting her exicted about Ministry aint gonna happen).  Half of me wants to hire a woman to go with me to the shows that require extreme stealthing just so I have a backup plan, in the instances where my woman cant make it to .  Most of the time I go solo or with my good friend Mikey, and he is stealthing as well.  Its toooo fucking bad about the Gmini 220, that would have rocked for the next Tool tour.  I am seriously thinking about getting some pins put in my leg and having a serious accident that requires a big ass metal cast on my leg before the next Tool tour.

You team evil guys have a whole other world of problems! - moshers, etc...

Good point though - expect higher scrutiny at harder edged shows...

-Karl

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 02:28:07 PM »
For what its worth, I walked in to the Ministry show here in DC with the JB3 in hand. Saw at least two others do the same exact thing.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com