Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: beginning taper questions  (Read 2956 times)

Offline dhora

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
beginning taper questions
« on: December 14, 2004, 11:12:59 PM »
Ok, Hello all. Before checking out this site, I didn't think I was a total taping newbie as I download and trade concerts fairly frequently. I was planning to get some SP-CMC-4 mics and a SP-SPSB-1 battery box w/ bass roll off to run into my NJB3. Now after looking around a bit, I feel like a huge newbie and I have a few more questions to ask.

I'm looking to spend less than $500 on my taping setup because I don't have too much money to pump into this and it may not be something I plan to pursue too heavily. I'll probably tape 3-4 shows a year. I'm  not sure if I'm going to do any stealth recording or not. Most shows I go to have open taping anyway.

Sorry for the long preface.. Here's the questions:

1) How important is something like a UA-5 that can handle mic power/gain/ADC?

2) Would that (UA-5) be something I could skip and add in later if I'm interested since the NJB3 handles gain/ADC although apparently not very well? ie run something like: SP-CMC-4 > SP-SPSB-1 > NJB3 and then run SP-CMC-4 > SP-SPSB-1 > ua5 > NJB3

3) What is the difference between SP-CMC-4 / AT853 / AT853Rx ?
I believe the SP-CMC-4's are AT853's made by the Sound Professionals, but are there any other differences?

4) I see that Sound Projects C4 seem to be pretty well regarded for "cheap" mics. Are they any better or are they about the same as the AT853s/SP-CMC-4/AT853Rx? Which would you recommend, assuming I won't be doing stealthing because the C4's are a bit larger.

5) I notice SoundProfessionals is currently out of stock of many mics. Where else would you recommend buying mics from?
Also I have not found pairs of AT853Rx mics for sale anywhere. Anyone know where to pick them up as a pair? or would I need to pick them up individually?

Ok.. sorry for the giant post. The more I learn from the wealth of info here, the more questions I have. TIA for the help.

-dave
AT853h,o, AT831c > AT831 (SP-CMC-2) > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3
Shows on the Archive: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Dave%20Hora%22

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Re: beginning taper questions
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 11:35:16 PM »

A UA-5 will be a noticeable improvement over SP-CMC-4 > SP-SPSB-1 > NJB3. However, it is definitely not required to make a good tape. SP-CMC-4 > SP-SPSB-1 > NJB3 is certainly capable of making a very listenable pleasant recording.

2) Would that (UA-5) be something I could skip and add in later if I'm interested since the NJB3 handles gain/ADC although apparently not very well? ie run something like: SP-CMC-4 > SP-SPSB-1 > NJB3 and then run SP-CMC-4 > SP-SPSB-1 > ua5 > NJB3

a. if you are taping VERY loud shows then it is very likely that SP-CMC-4 > SP-SPSB-1 will not work; the SP-CMC-4's cannot handly high spl's. Tell us what bands you plan to tape and I'm sure someone can comment on whether they're too loud.

b. If the shows you plan to tape are not very loud then I recommend trying out the SP-CMC-4 > SP-SPSB-1 > NJB3. If after a year you are having a blast and you cannot get enough of taping then you know it is time to upgrade.

also, if you don't have soldering skills, then sp C4 > digimod UA-5 > jb3 is going to cost ~800, not to mention cost of cables/stand etc. I currently run this rig and it capable of making good to great recordings.

As far as your other questions about the at853 mics, I don't know the answers but I know someone will kindly chime in with the answers.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline hhf32

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 11:42:28 PM »
You could pick up the Superlux's for about $140, a ua-5 w/power used for about $210 and a jb3 for around $150. You would still need a stand around $40 and cables in the yard sale for $35. This would'nt be a stealth rig, but it would be a nice beginner rig for
under $600.
AKG 461's>digimod UA5>JB3

Offline dhora

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 11:52:32 PM »
I already have a NJB3, so I don't need to pick one of those up.
I plan to tape bands like O.A.R., Wilco, DMB (although that is probably wasting my time since so many others do it better than i would) etc...
Shows on the Archive: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Dave%20Hora%22

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 12:15:14 AM »
So, is the $500 in your 1st post for total cost for a rig, or $500 now that you have the JB3.
Don't worry about everyone else pulling a better show, sometimes you do, sometimes they do, as long as somebody does.

AKG 461's>digimod UA5>JB3

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 01:03:30 AM »
DMB (although that is probably wasting my time since so many others do it better than i would)

Maybe so, but its fun pulling your ownrecording.
Cheap air cushioned stands can be hand on ebay for $12 + shipping
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline dhora

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 01:45:23 AM »
$500 now that I have the JB3. So I'd like to spend 500 on: mics > power > gain > ADC
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 01:54:11 AM by dhora »

urobouros

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 10:57:22 AM »
Here's a less expensive option(shameless self promotion):
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=31434.0

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 12:12:49 PM »
well if were shamelessly self promoting...c1000s are great starter mics, and ive got a pair for sale here http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=31756.0

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 12:15:36 PM »
it may not be something I plan to pursue too heavily. I'll probably tape 3-4 shows a year. I'm  not sure if I'm going to do any stealth recording or not. Most shows I go to have open taping anyway.

hehe, but you havent yet experienced just how addicting taping is...3-4 a year will quickly become 3-4 a month ;)

Offline edgar

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2004, 10:43:22 PM »
Ok, Hello all. Before checking out this site, I didn't think I was a total taping newbie as I download and trade concerts fairly frequently. I was planning to get some SP-CMC-4 mics and a SP-SPSB-1 battery box w/ bass roll off to run into my NJB3. Now after looking around a bit, I feel like a huge newbie and I have a few more questions to ask.

I'm looking to spend less than $500 on my taping setup because I don't have too much money to pump into this and it may not be something I plan to pursue too heavily. I'll probably tape 3-4 shows a year. I'm  not sure if I'm going to do any stealth recording or not. Most shows I go to have open taping anyway.

Sorry for the long preface.. Here's the questions:

3) What is the difference between SP-CMC-4 / AT853 / AT853Rx ?
I believe the SP-CMC-4's are AT853's made by the Sound Professionals, but are there any other differences?

4) I see that Sound Projects C4 seem to be pretty well regarded for "cheap" mics. Are they any better or are they about the same as the AT853s/SP-CMC-4/AT853Rx? Which would you recommend, assuming I won't be doing stealthing because the C4's are a bit larger.

5) I notice SoundProfessionals is currently out of stock of many mics. Where else would you recommend buying mics from?
Also I have not found pairs of AT853Rx mics for sale anywhere. Anyone know where to pick them up as a pair? or would I need to pick them up individually?

Ok.. sorry for the giant post. The more I learn from the wealth of info here, the more questions I have. TIA for the help.

-dave

i like the at831's better than the 853's - have a taped a few shows side by side and the 831's dominaTE every time.
SP-CMC-2>SP-SPSB-2>M1

Offline dhora

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2004, 09:21:04 PM »
any other opinions on AT831s vs AT853?

I'm listening to a show off the archive now taped w/ 831s.. sounds pretty good so far.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 09:15:40 AM »
any other opinions on AT831s vs AT853?

I'm listening to a show off the archive now taped w/ 831s.. sounds pretty good so far.

Sorry for reviving this old thread.

Reading the above, be aware that the phantom power makes a substantial difference between AT853 and AT853Rx (comes with phamtom power XLR connectors).

I just bought my Rx's as opposed to the (non-phantom 853's) since they fit the rest of my setup, and although I haven't tried them, others can tell you that pahntom makes for a totally different recording under certain conditions...

Jan
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com