Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rode NT5 mics...your thoughts?  (Read 3689 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Rode NT5 mics...your thoughts?
« on: March 15, 2004, 05:46:53 PM »
Are the cables terminated to XLR?  

http://www.rodemic.com/specsnt5/nt5specs.htm

It doesn't mention anything about that but it appears it needs 48V for phantom power which means i would need to invest in a PS-2 (i think) plugged line in into my dat, right?  Let me know folks, i found a pair on ebay for a decent price and am definitely curious to try these for stealthing, it looks feasible.  Opinions are always appreciated   ;D
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re:Rode NT5 mics...your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 05:51:38 PM »
it needs 48v, so yes a ps2 would work. check the "power requirements" on the lower right-hand side.

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline George

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 06:20:24 PM »
it needs 48v, so yes a ps2 would work. check the "power requirements" on the lower right-hand side.

Yep, i noticed that as well.  So the question is: XLR?  It doesn't seem to mention anything about how the cable is terminated.  Thanks!   ;)

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 06:52:37 PM »

Yep, i noticed that as well.  So the question is: XLR?  It doesn't seem to mention anything about how the cable is terminated.  Thanks!   ;)

i've seen them in shops. they are your standard XLRM outputs on the end of the bodies.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline George

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 07:00:02 PM »

i've seen them in shops. they are your standard XLRM outputs on the end of the bodies.

marc

Ah ok, so would a PS-2 work with these mics (mics:XLR Male>preamp:XLR Female?).  

What kind of cable does the PS-2 have to connect to a source, such as a M1?  Just trying to get rig chain figured out, thanks for the response!  

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 07:03:31 PM »

PS-2 input is XLRF.  you just need a standard XLR cable between the mics and the PS-2.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline George

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 07:41:18 PM »

PS-2 input is XLRF.  you just need a standard XLR cable between the mics and the PS-2.

marc

Awesome pic, thanks a bunch!  So, last question (i swear!).  Looks like i have to run XLR-F from the PS-2 to....not sure where to go from here.  Do i need another piece of equipment between the PS-2 and my source or can i purchase a XLRF to 1/8" cable to plug into the line in on my M1?  TIA!   ;)

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline bush

• "Taper Pimp"
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Steppin to the beat
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 10:18:12 AM »
Dont buy the rodes, dont buy the rodes

you'll be sooooo disappointed in the way they sound.

i ran them for a while and they are horrible if you are moe than 15 ft from the sound source.

also they are not really small enough for stealthing.  YMMV

bush
Team Bama--Duct tape Mafia

"RIGLESS"

1985 CJ-7 stretched on 38's

Offline jnorman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 01:49:27 PM »
i owned apair of the nt5s for a short while.  i was able to get fair results out ofhtme in the studio on piano and acoustic guitar, but they were not very good as a main stereo pair at any kind of distance - they were thin and bright sounding.   for teh same kind of money, i would say the akg c391s (used about $350 pr), are a much better mic.  but still you are going to be wanting to upgrade again sonn with any of those mics.  it makes sense to go ahead and kill yourself to get a pair of good mics that will last you a long time and hold thier value - i have really liked the akg c480s, the schoeps cmc64s, and DPAs.  sennheiser mkh series are very good, as are the upper models of gefell.  teh older neumann km84s are great old mics, and you will never lose any money by investing in them.  i think the least expensive mics i have liked are the AT4051s and the little gefell M300s - both around $600 pr used.  i find the km184s to be pretty useable in the studio for close mic applications, but they are also rather thin for diffuse field applications.   correct matching of your mics with a good preamp can also make a world of difference.

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 02:06:50 PM »
so j. you  have to try the gordon mic pre

:D

Offline jnorman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2004, 04:39:33 PM »
hey muj - i am using 8 channels of millennia media HV3 - i think they'll do...  :-)

Offline mizary

• Taperssection Member
  • Bam!
    • Go buy some Elvis stuff!
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2004, 05:51:22 PM »
I have to say at the very least the NT5's look really cool.

And I have a couple primus shows from last year from the warfield recorded with nt5's and I think they sound better than any of the other primus sources from that tour...

However it has been suggested to me that the warfield was probably the best sounding venue from the tour...  and I don't have any other sources from that show to compare - so maybe it's just the sweet soundig venue...

But either way...  they look nice and are in that attractive intermediate price range.

--mizary
Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Offline George

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2004, 07:24:08 PM »
Thanks for your opinions guys.  Hey J, i'll start searching around for all the mic models you listed, thanks again hombre  ;)

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2004, 12:39:17 AM »
i owned apair of the nt5s for a short while.  i was able to get fair results out ofhtme in the studio on piano and acoustic guitar, but they were not very good as a main stereo pair at any kind of distance - they were thin and bright sounding.   for teh same kind of money, i would say the akg c391s (used about $350 pr), are a much better mic.  but still you are going to be wanting to upgrade again sonn with any of those mics.  it makes sense to go ahead and kill yourself to get a pair of good mics that will last you a long time and hold thier value - i have really liked the akg c480s, the schoeps cmc64s, and DPAs.  sennheiser mkh series are very good, as are the upper models of gefell.  teh older neumann km84s are great old mics, and you will never lose any money by investing in them.  i think the least expensive mics i have liked are the AT4051s and the little gefell M300s - both around $600 pr used.  i find the km184s to be pretty useable in the studio for close mic applications, but they are also rather thin for diffuse field applications.   correct matching of your mics with a good preamp can also make a world of difference.

I've seen 391's new for $325 and 481's for $625.
Mike

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com