Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mil Spec Silver Cable Question  (Read 47797 times)

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mil Spec Silver Cable Question
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2007, 10:50:40 AM »
I myself will never have too much to add when it comes to cables except:   I do hear a difference between cables.  The ones with silver in play are tighter to my ears, and perhaps more "alive".  But don't mistake that for better.  If any "taper" is torn between whether to go copper or silver, I'd have to point out that with the ranging environments and sound sources that "tapers" encounter, the type of cable you use will not "make or break" your liking of the recordings you make.  I personally love the cables ed boardman made for me out of the belden 1503a.  They are *very* manageable in the field, light, and easy to coil.  Above all else when it comes to selecting materials to produce recordings, I think one should look at cabling as being the last piece of the puzzle.  Go with the most cost effective, well made cable you can find off the bat for a while, then try other types to see you can find any improvement you like.  You might move to silver and LOVE the sound and that would be great, but by no means does the fact that YOU love it mean it is BETTER......   it's just better for you.   I personally do not *love* the sound that the schoeps mics put out.  But that is not to say I don't have many listenable and wonderful tapes made with them.  The low end is nice, but the mids and highs (to me) are brittle and unnatural.   Can I convince schoeps lovers that Im right?  oh pulleaasee..  Ill take the akg sizzle anyday over the schoeps, but that doesnt make akg's better, just better for me.   Very much like cabling.  Well made cables of either silver, silver plated, or copper are all *good*...  at that point it comes down to whether you like vanilla or chocolate.
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2007, 12:32:44 AM »
my whole effort is price driven.....
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2007, 10:06:43 AM »
I'm waiting for a comp between silvers, copper, and home depot 3-wire extension cord ;D

I am working on a 3 prong to xlr adaptor.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2007, 10:22:07 AM »
I'm waiting for a comp between silvers, copper, and home depot 3-wire extension cord ;D

I am working on a 3 prong to xlr adaptor.

don't laugh. it exists.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2007, 10:28:42 AM »
most companies these days will use a 4 or 5 pin XLR to feed power, but i have seen some older units that use a standard 3 pin XLR for the hot/neuteral/ground. i dont think there is an actual adapter to go from an edison plug to an XLR, but i have seen a cable with a 3 pin XLR on one end and an edison plug on the other.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2007, 10:30:19 AM »
I have thought about making some to burn in cables... But it just seems like something that could start an electrical fire while just sitting on the shelf, not even plugged in.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
cable burn in?

cue the dissenters in 3...2..

;D
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2007, 11:38:31 AM »
most companies these days will use a 4 or 5 pin XLR to feed power, but i have seen some older units that use a standard 3 pin XLR for the hot/neuteral/ground. i dont think there is an actual adapter to go from an edison plug to an XLR, but i have seen a cable with a 3 pin XLR on one end and an edison plug on the other.
Any company that would use a cannon plug to an 3 prong Edison plug should be shot.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline George2

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2007, 10:49:01 AM »
I usually burn my cables in using 220vac. Increases the depth to my recordings, while also improving transient response.
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2007, 01:14:02 PM »
I usually burn my cables in using 220vac. Increases the depth to my recordings, while also improving transient response.
::)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2007, 01:32:15 PM »

lightweight! you need to burn them in before the step down transformer. 440vac is the only way to go.

« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2007, 02:18:17 PM »
lightweight! you need to burn them in before the step down transformer. 440vac is the only way to go.

And it doesn't work right if you don't burn in with 3 phase power.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2007, 02:25:17 PM »

doesnt it also matter as to how the cables are laid out?  Ive heard north to south as there is less resistance between the poles.. :-*
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2007, 02:27:44 PM »

doesnt it also matter as to how the cables are laid out?  Ive heard north to south as there is less resistance between the poles.. :-*

don't forget the audiophile crystals.....if they are there.....everything sounds better!

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2007, 02:31:55 PM »
also make sure the cables are not touching the ground. ever.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com