Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mil Spec Silver Cable Question  (Read 47788 times)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mil Spec Silver Cable Question
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2007, 03:22:38 PM »

Evidence???  Apologies.  I must have missed it.  Point me to the mounds of it.  I guess you mean that you or some other folks have tested this and have not relied on anecdotal evidence.  We all know that anecdotal evidence is notoriously inaccurate so we would, of course, ignore it.  Right?   8)

Actually, I think the idea that this is anectodotal evidence is a red herring.  It somehow implies there is a right and a wrong scientific, objective answer.  It is entirely subjective -- whether or not an individual percieves a noticeable sound difference in different cables, whether or not an individual prefers the sound of a given cable over others, and whether or not that sound difference is more important than other things -- like handling noise or whether the cable was originally meant for conduit placement.  You can't scientifically prove that AKGs are better sounding than Schoeps -- some people will prefer akgs, some schoeps, and some neumanns (and some Milabs  8) ).

Also, I've got to admit to being confused. ???  You purchased one of the last sets of mil-spec SPC mic cables I've made.  Apparently at this point you've switched to Canare starquad.  Forget the specs -- what differences did you hear between the two types of cables?  Which cable type sounded better to you?  Doesn't matter which you choose, to me the point is that people can choose whatever floats their boat.  From the sounds of it, you prefer Canare not the SPC, which is fine, I just don't understand there's the need to somehow prove that folks that choose otherwise are wrong.

Todd -

I stopped using your cables as the connectors are 180 out from what I want on the SD 722 inputs.  I also disliked the lack of flexibility in the cables themselves.  I had a pair of Canare star quads that were easier to work with.  So I then ordered 200 meters of star quad and a bunch of Neutriks and make my own cables now.  It is pretty easy to do and I get the lengths I need without having to check the mailbox.  I think a lot of this "perceived difference" between the good cables is placebo effect more than anything.  And I also really like using tools for the purpose they were designed.  I suppose that I could offer up your cables on YS but I may need then down the line for something.  I am kind of a pack rat.

Sorry to take so long in answering your question.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline George2

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2007, 04:03:28 PM »
Back on track about the mil spec "Silvers".... That teflon outer is made for permanent installation into conduit. You put that wire grease on the cables and push and pull through..
You guys are familiar with the wire grease, right?
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2007, 04:07:16 PM »
Back on track about the mil spec "Silvers".... That teflon outer is made for permanent installation into conduit. You put that wire grease on the cables and push and pull through..

Actually, a lot of it gets installed in aircraft where it is bundled into larger teflon sleeves.

Offline Tim

« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2007, 04:08:09 PM »
Love the passive-aggressive challenge ::)

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2007, 04:27:36 PM »
Hardly. Merely noting the tone. I thought this thread had finally calmed down a bit, apparently not.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2007, 04:45:21 PM »

By code, wire going in ceilings and in conduit shall be plenum cable, which is different than teflon coated cable.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2007, 05:19:17 PM »
Let's summarize, shall we?

• some really like the sound of mil spec silver cable
  • others don't
  • some have had nothing but positive experiences with mil spec silver cable in the field
  • another has not (quasi-field use)
  • some think it should only be used for it's intended purpose, and not for field recording
  • others think it makes sense to use if it sounds good to their ears, doesn't suffer the problems others suggest it has, etc.

Whaddya think...another 10 pages?  :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2007, 07:21:08 PM »
:lol:

always the voice of sanity ;D

thanks Brian

Offline jcrab66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2007, 10:38:41 PM »
Actually, a lot of it gets installed in aircraft where it is bundled into larger teflon sleeves.

thats a new one on me
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2007, 07:18:47 AM »
that makes sense.  it is mostly communications wire.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2007, 10:32:09 AM »
I stopped using your cables as the connectors are 180 out from what I want on the SD 722 inputs. 

FWIW, you can easily change the angle that the cable exits with those RA neutriks.  The RA neutriks allow 7 different exit angles, every 45 degrees other than straight up (over the silver unlock tab on the 722). 

If you're interested in changing them, you'd need to unscrew the screws holding on the cap to the connector, take out the plastic insert, push the bottom portion of the connector up into the connector housing to unseat it, rotate the bottom portion to the new angle you'd like, reseat it, and then put everything back together.  I don't think you had the 722 when you got the cables from me, or at least I wasn't aware.  Getting those RA neutriks to fit on the 722 is a bit tricky, but they will fit.  Just need to alter the exit angle of the two cables from each other, so something like this:  \  /

Sorry you didn't find the cables to your liking. :-\  I had been curious though about what you thought of the sound of them vs the Canares if you ever did a comparison.  Obviously, you might like the sound of the Canares better, or one could easily prefer the sound of the silver-clad cables, but not enough to overcome the difficulties you found with the cables (eg., lack of flexibility).  I've used three different kinds of Audio Magic cables, the Xtremes, the hyperconductors, and the Sceptors with the clear jacket -- those Sceptors sounded great, but man they were just way too much of the PITA to deal with.  Of the 3, all sounded great, but the hyperconductors were the only ones I really found easy enough to use.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2007, 07:13:25 AM »
Let's summarize, shall we?

• some think it should only be used for it's intended purpose, and not for field recording

Whaddya think...another 10 pages?  :P
that reason is stupid.
think of all the lonely vegetables out there that would be left ..., um... "un handled" if they were only used for their intended purposes!
no more poop-chute cucumbers, zuchini phallus, "mellon wholes"...

Offline boojum

« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2007, 01:47:12 PM »
I stopped using your cables as the connectors are 180 out from what I want on the SD 722 inputs.

FWIW, you can easily change the angle that the cable exits with those RA neutriks.  The RA neutriks allow 7 different exit angles, every 45 degrees other than straight up (over the silver unlock tab on the 722). 

If you're interested in changing them, you'd need to unscrew the screws holding on the cap to the connector, take out the plastic insert, push the bottom portion of the connector up into the connector housing to unseat it, rotate the bottom portion to the new angle you'd like, reseat it, and then put everything back together.  I don't think you had the 722 when you got the cables from me, or at least I wasn't aware.  Getting those RA neutriks to fit on the 722 is a bit tricky, but they will fit.  Just need to alter the exit angle of the two cables from each other, so something like this:  \  /

Sorry you didn't find the cables to your liking. :-\  I had been curious though about what you thought of the sound of them vs the Canares if you ever did a comparison.  Obviously, you might like the sound of the Canares better, or one could easily prefer the sound of the silver-clad cables, but not enough to overcome the difficulties you found with the cables (eg., lack of flexibility).  I've used three different kinds of Audio Magic cables, the Xtremes, the hyperconductors, and the Sceptors with the clear jacket -- those Sceptors sounded great, but man they were just way too much of the PITA to deal with.  Of the 3, all sounded great, but the hyperconductors were the only ones I really found easy enough to use.

PM sent
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline George2

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #133 on: December 20, 2007, 11:59:59 PM »
i'm asking Santa for some milspec silver.
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2007, 07:17:12 AM »
nice!

One thing i've noticed w/the millspec...
it will produce failures *more often* when used in short runs.  Like < 1 foot little ICs.  the cable doesn't easily flop around ..., so it puts stress on the solder joints.  24 or 26awg wire is thin..., and it breaks.

of all the repairs, failures i've seen its been with little ICs.  I'm going to find a new cable for those short runs.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com