Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recycling hardware for a RAID box?  (Read 2238 times)

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
Recycling hardware for a RAID box?
« on: July 30, 2012, 11:05:43 AM »
I know this topic has been beaten to death but the time has come for some massive storage upgrades.  I have at least 12 TB of internals, externals and about 1000 DVD's of SHN and FLAC files that I want to get into a stable storage system for listening and sharing and redundant protection. 

I do not mind dropping loot but I need to figure out what I can use from old hardware I currently have.

P4 Sony RB30 running Media Center
Dell Poweredge 1600 server with a SCSI card (6 drive bays) Has Server 2003 on mirrored 74GB drives already
(old) LARGE handmade PC Antec P180, Q6600  (6 Drive bays)
(current) LARGE handmade PC NZXT Switch 810Antec P180, Q6600  (6+ Drive bays)

A ton of other power supplies, optical drives, etc.

I am open to ideas?  including scrapping it all an going from scratch.  My preference is to recycle something first and rebuild as opposed to wasting crap.

Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
Re: Recycling hardware for a RAID box?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 02:57:28 PM »
I played around with FreeNAS & OpenFiler among others and none of them wound up being very stable when running ZFS.  I really wanted something with easy expandability from a storage perspective.  I finally gave up and bought a Drobo FS.  It just works.  No Drama, no hassle. 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 04:50:22 PM »
Do not rely on RAID for backup purposes (you will still need a copy of anything you put on the RAID system).

RAID systems can and do fail and alot of times in manners that all data on the array is lost.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 09:20:50 PM »
I played around with FreeNAS & OpenFiler among others and none of them wound up being very stable when running ZFS.

I wouldn't recommend using ZFS unless you have a motherboard that supports ECC RAM (and ECC RAM is installed). Without ECC, ZFS' data integrity features are meaningless. Also, ZFS is very RAM-hungry; I wouldn't build a ZFS system with less than 4GB, and more is better.

FWIW, my 4GB box running OpenIndiana (the direct descendant of OpenSolaris) has been rock-solid.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 01:58:09 PM »
I played around with FreeNAS & OpenFiler among others and none of them wound up being very stable when running ZFS.

I wouldn't recommend using ZFS unless you have a motherboard that supports ECC RAM (and ECC RAM is installed). Without ECC, ZFS' data integrity features are meaningless. Also, ZFS is very RAM-hungry; I wouldn't build a ZFS system with less than 4GB, and more is better.

FWIW, my 4GB box running OpenIndiana (the direct descendant of OpenSolaris) has been rock-solid.

I had I think 6GB of RAM, but it was not ECC.  I just fought issues with FreeNAS not working properly and always throwing errors they only popped up when building a ZFS volume.  My dilemma was I want something that offers the flexible growth (simply pop in more/larger drives and the NAS manages the parity and rebuilds what is essentially the RAID set)  that the Drobo does.  I gave up and spent the $$ on a actual Drobo, saving a few bucks just was not worth the time and frustration.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com