Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: quick ? before i buy this wmod ua5  (Read 5804 times)

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:quick ? before i buy this wmod ua5
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2004, 04:31:51 PM »
Well if you a recording at 48 anyway, it just resamples the incoming data to 44.1, saving you a software step IMHO.  Also, I would build the pack to power it yourself.  I can honestly say that NONE of the portable power solutions sold by vendors are worth remotely close to what they charge.

D

Offline dsanders79

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2004, 06:42:47 AM »
First post over here, anyway.  While the UA5 is not bit perfect, if I have a DAT at 48khz I sometimes use the UA5 to transfer the show and use it to resample to 44.1 on the fly.  It saves me from having to use software (all I have is Sound Forge which I have heard isn't the best for that, although I have not actually tested myself).  I do have another sound card for bit perfect transfers.  While it is not ideal to do non-bit perfect transfers, I feel it is alright as long as you list how you transferred the show so that people know.  I personally love my w-UA5.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2004, 08:40:14 AM »
First post over here, anyway.  While the UA5 is not bit perfect, if I have a DAT at 48khz I sometimes use the UA5 to transfer the show and use it to resample to 44.1 on the fly.  It saves me from having to use software (all I have is Sound Forge which I have heard isn't the best for that, although I have not actually tested myself).  I do have another sound card for bit perfect transfers.  While it is not ideal to do non-bit perfect transfers, I feel it is alright as long as you list how you transferred the show so that people know.  I personally love my w-UA5.

there is nothing wrong with Soundforge's resampling...its dithering isnt as good as Wavelabs though

the water's clean and innocent

Offline joemango

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2004, 03:33:24 PM »
Use a network cable!

It's faster and more reliable than using s/pdif and relying on two possible resampling steps (one going out of the UA-5 and the other going into the Desktop PC) to get it done.  Even wireless would be faster than doing a real-time transfer.

If you don't have a network hub, you can use what they call a crossover network cable to connect 2 pc's directly.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2004, 04:00:10 PM »

there is nothing wrong with Soundforge's resampling...its dithering isnt as good as Wavelabs though

SF 6.0 has different levels of 'accuracy' that it resamples with, when it analyzes first.  Obviously this will impact both the resample quality, in addition to how long it takes.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com