Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 32-bit FP PolyWAV files - how to make this less of a headache?  (Read 1304 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: 32-bit FP PolyWAV files - how to make this less of a headache?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2024, 11:03:39 AM »
Writing 8 separate files simultaneously is much more taxing on the media and more likely to produce write errors.

Is that actually true?  If so. its never been a problem for me using Zoom F8, Roland R-88 or Tascam DR-680.

I got that from somewhere in Sound Devices' literature. It may have been in the 788 manual when talking about writing to the CF card.

It is definitely true for the older SD633.  When that was new, I was having lots of issues trying to write separate files and was advised by SD to record poly files, after that I never had problems with the SD633.  But with the Zoom F6 and F8 I never have had any issues with writing separate files ever.  My Mix II 6 is "lightly used" but I don't remember any file issues with it, either.  So I think it was an SD issue and is maybe solved.

Jeff

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 32-bit FP PolyWAV files - how to make this less of a headache?
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2024, 01:00:11 PM »
Writing 8 separate files simultaneously is much more taxing on the media and more likely to produce write errors.

Is that actually true?  If so. its never been a problem for me using Zoom F8, Roland R-88 or Tascam DR-680.

I got that from somewhere in Sound Devices' literature. It may have been in the 788 manual when talking about writing to the CF card.

It is definitely true for the older SD633.  When that was new, I was having lots of issues trying to write separate files and was advised by SD to record poly files, after that I never had problems with the SD633.  But with the Zoom F6 and F8 I never have had any issues with writing separate files ever.  My Mix II 6 is "lightly used" but I don't remember any file issues with it, either.  So I think it was an SD issue and is maybe solved.

Jeff

Either that or CF. Maybe it's not an issue with newer UDMA 7 CF cards.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com