Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Convert to FLAC  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Councilman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Convert to FLAC
« on: June 06, 2007, 07:43:32 PM »
I have taped several shows that I have converted to 44 bit .wav files.  I have burned them to a CD and can listen to them in my car, etc.

I would like to convert them to FLAC and post them on the variouse sites.  I used the db power amp to convert to .wav and I see that it will also convert to FLAC. 

I hear that the level 8 conversion rate is preferred for FLAC.  My question is how do I separate the recording into individual tracks?

Any help would be appreciated!

Chris

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Convert to FLAC
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 07:48:01 PM »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 09:40:33 PM »
I have taped several shows that I have converted to 44 bit .wav files.  I used the db power amp to convert to .wav

Chris

what format were they that you had to convert to wave??
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 11:57:21 PM »

what format were they that you had to convert to wave??

Excellent question. If the original source was better, then you may want to start over.  Otherwise, CD Wave is the tracking program of choice, and personally, I use FLAC FrontEnd to do the conversions.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 02:42:52 AM »
I've been breaking my recordings into tracks using Audacity. It's multiplatform, powerful and free.

Good luck!
Mics: MM-HLSC-1, ECM-737, ECM-719
Recorders: R09, MZ-RH1, MZ-R70, MBP
BBox: Greenmachine DIY, CA-UBB (on the way!)

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 12:36:50 PM »
I've been breaking my recordings into tracks using Audacity. It's multiplatform, powerful and free.

Good luck!

I'd suggest only using Audacity for fades and such, and downloading CD Wave for free as it's known to split correctly on sector boundaries, while Audacity is not.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 12:44:04 PM »
CD Wave editor is "free" in the sense that you can pay the author if you care to.  For US$15 it is a small price for such a valuable tool.  It is using an older version of FLAC but the next release will include FLAC 1.1.4.  I am also using the FLAC front end to compress (losslessly) to FLAC as it also does fingerprinting and some labeling.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 05:25:49 PM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 01:00:06 PM »
CD Wave editor is "free" in the sense that you can pay the author if you care to.  For US$15 it is a small price for such a valuable tool.

Actually, it's not voluntary ("if you care to") from a licensing perspective.  Shareware licenses (like CD-Wave's) require the user to purchase a license after the trial period expires (31 days for CD-Wave).  There's simply no programmatic enforcement of the license, i.e. demo's that expire, crippled feature set, etc., that compel the user to pay for the license.

Edit to add...

I hear that the level 8 conversion rate is preferred for FLAC.

I prefer compression level 6 - it's much faster and achieves damn near the same compression ratio.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 05:32:34 PM »
Brian I agree with you abut the shareware license.  I bought mine.  But most folks see shareware, as the previous poster did, as "free" and treat it as such.  Having slung code for ~20 years I know the effort that goes into the finished product and how rigorous the testing need be.  Plus, I have a soft spot in my heart for other code slingers.

As for compression with FLAC, well, you are right.  For me, though, the extra time means nothing: after all, I do not have to crank anything to make it work.  And, being retired, I have lots of time and no money.  Seems how it works out.  Working you have money but no time; retired is the opposite.  ;o)

It seems that FLAC has eclipsed Shorten and Monkey (APE) as the lossless compressor of choice.  Sound Devices offers it in their current release of 2.15 for their machines.  It is good to see all of Josh Coalson's work be recognized.  I think he does it for the love of it as I see nowhere that there is a charge.  Hat's off to Josh.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline nasarius

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 11:56:40 AM »
I'd suggest only using Audacity for fades and such, and downloading CD Wave for free as it's known to split correctly on sector boundaries, while Audacity is not.

Audacity works just fine for this purpose, as long as you configure it properly. It even shows you the number of frames you have selected. Assuming you're using the latest beta...

1. Choose CDDA frames on the selection bar.
2. Edit > Snap To > On.

Also, check out the Audacity wiki.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 11:58:26 AM by nasarius »
[sample] Giant Squid omnis > custom battery box (.068uF bass rolloff) > JB3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com