Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Port Forwarding  (Read 2458 times)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Port Forwarding
« on: December 30, 2007, 05:43:07 PM »
I am not sure if this is the right section to post this but since it has to do with the computer I thought I would start here.  I recent bought a new wireless router to hook up my daughters lappy she got for christmas.  I went through although things I needed to do in term of her computer being connect wirelessly and my desktop being connect via cable.

Once the router was between my desktop and my cable modem I got firewalled.  No big deal I went through the process of opening up the ports.  Worked like a charm.  I was back to my non firewalled status interms of downloading.

We, I decided to update my antivirus to norton 360, since my daughter got a copy for her new lappy.  Again I was firewalled.  I went through the portforwarding guide to open my ports via norton, only the 360 wasn't listed, but internet security 2007 was.  I matched everything up as comparred to norton 2007 verses 360.  Everything matched, nothing extra just slightly different looking windows no big deal.  Got everything set.  I am still firedwalled!

I also made sure I am not firewalled in XP.

For the life of me I can't figure it out. I am not a genius when it comes to computer but I have above average skills and ussually figure things out.  I am currently stumped...

Any help would be greatly appreciated....OOK          Ps. I know my spelling sucks...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 05:51:27 PM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
Re: Port Forwarding
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 09:08:33 PM »
norton sucks.  get AVG free ;)
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 03:45:54 PM »
are you forwarding on the router or just in Norton. 

I really cant help ya with norton as I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole.   ;)
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 02:31:13 PM »
I'll third the opinion that Norton is the worst thing you can do to a computer.  It used to be really good stuff and had devolved over the past 5 years or so in to quite a turd.  If you are running a NAT router (Linksys, Netgear, etc) you should be in pretty solid shape from a firewall standpoint unless you suspect a PC on your home network is compromised.  If not the Windows firewall is not bad.  AVG Free for AV is the way I go as well.  If you are a bit more specific about what you are trying to forward and what things you are having issues with we can probably help.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 11:20:10 PM »
Allrighty then. 

I dumped the Norton..what a pain to get rid of...

I am using AVG free....Seems to be working...

I am using a new netgear router.  I set up the port forwarding for Bit tornardo on the ports 10000 to 10010 specifically on the router.

However now it seems that the ports are sometimes open and sometimes firewalled...not sure why??

DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 11:39:33 PM »
Allrighty then. 

I dumped the Norton..what a pain to get rid of...

I am using AVG free....Seems to be working...

I am using a new netgear router.  I set up the port forwarding for Bit tornardo on the ports 10000 to 10010 specifically on the router.

However now it seems that the ports are sometimes open and sometimes firewalled...not sure why??

what client are you using?  there is no need to open 10 ports.  with utorrent you only need one port.  bit tornado uses a different port for each torrent running.  so if there is more than 10 torrents running some will show as firewalled.

did you set up a static IP?  if not your router may assign you a different IP sometimes than the one the ports are opened for.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 02:32:24 AM »
Client: Bit tornado

Yep set up a static Ip  I thought I had it all figured out....got it working rebooted my computer..It worked..the fire wall was gone

then my daughter went to log on her wireless lappy and it wouldn't connect with the way the router was now set up for my wire pc in the network.

I had to change the router back to its auto setting.  She is running vista and I am running XP.  Could that be the difference at this point.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 01:45:48 AM »
I contacted net gear who is my router compnay.  They help me set up the correct static address to my daughter's lappy.  All is right in the world again.  I just about had it right but was off on the DNS primary and secondary DNS.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 02:01:46 AM »
I contacted net gear who is my router compnay.  They help me set up the correct static address to my daughter's lappy.  All is right in the world again.  I just about had it right but was off on the DNS primary and secondary DNS.

fwi you should only have to set the static IP to the one that you are torrenting on.  ie it doesn't matter if your daughters laptop gets a different IP.  it does matter if the machine YOU are torrenting on gets a different IP.  anyway glad things are working.  I STRONGLY recommend changing to utorrent from bit tornado.  just trust me!  and no need to have 10 ports open!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com