Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Time to replace my Logitech Squeezebox; suggestions?  (Read 16058 times)

Offline tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
Time to replace my Logitech Squeezebox; suggestions?
« on: March 27, 2017, 03:17:07 PM »
Looks like the display on my Slimdevices Squeezebox has bit the dust.  What do people recommend for a replacement?

I use it in my mainroom for wireless playback of my iTunes collection and FLAC audio recordings.  Something with high audio quality, fast response, and remote/app capability is highly preferred.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Re: Time to replace my Logitech Squeezebox; suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 12:17:53 PM »
Looks like the display on my Slimdevices Squeezebox has bit the dust.  What do people recommend for a replacement?

I use it in my mainroom for wireless playback of my iTunes collection and FLAC audio recordings.  Something with high audio quality, fast response, and remote/app capability is highly preferred.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

first gen amazon fire tv (if you need optical) or 2nd gen HDMI only. There is a $3 app which will make it a squeezebox player. I use it with mine. work great. only downside is apps. it doesn't allow you to fire up pandora etc through the app like it does on the logitech devices. but all of those apps are available on the fire tv anyway so not a huge deal.

The fire sticks also can be used but HDMI only as well.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline tapeworm48

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 09:16:38 PM »
thanks, i will look into this one.  any other suggestions?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

M10 / R09 / D100

08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 09:21:48 AM »
If you have a modest amount of tech skill and a little time, an Intel NUC does 4K video on HDMI, Hi-Res audio to 7.1, SS USB3.0 (x4), and fast Wi-Fi, SD, and SSD support to SATA3

http://www.staples.com/Intel-NUC5CPYH-Intel-Celeron-N3050-Dual-Core-Desktop-Computer/product_IM1ZY0516

There are faster versions than this one for more $$$, if you are a gamer or are going to edit with it.
The NUC can be had for less than at Staples, if you shop it, of course.

From http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc5cpyh.html  :

Product Overview

NUC5CPYH is one of the most fully featured Intel® NUCs.  Based on a dual-core Celeron® processor, this Intel® NUC includes new features such as a VGA port, SDXC card slot, and TOSLINK* audio output while continuing to offer 4x USB 3.0 ports, 4K video support, and 802.11ac Wi-Fi*.  Also, we have secured the base with the Kensington lock, significantly improving IT asset security.  From entry-level consumers in emerging markets, to organizations looking for a value-oriented mini-PC, NUC5CPYH is the smart choice.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 08:29:44 AM »
tw48 -- I have two functioning Squeezeboxes gathering dust on the shelf, if you want one or both for a reasonable price.  One is a Classic, I think, and the other for certain is a v3.  You're welcome to one or both at a reasonable price -- just shoot me a PM and we'll sort out the details.

If you're looking to move on from the SB, consider Google Chromecast.  I transitioned from my SB devices to Google Chromecast Audio (CcA).  I replaced 2 Squeezeboxes with just CcA, as I merely used them for the interface.  (I added a third CcA + an inexpensive preamp to drive speakers in an additional space.)  And I replaced one Boom with CcA + inexpensive powered speakers like this one, and added the same setup to an another space.  At the time, I wasn't having much luck finding 2+ SB add-ons at reasonable prices, so switched up my configuration entirely.

On the software side, I pair the CcA with BubbleUPnP server and Android app for playback control of my locally hosted music, and use TuneIn for radio and Spotify / Pandora for streaming, all controlled through my Android devices (tablet or phone).

In all honesty, I find the Chromecast Audio a clunkier solution and user experience than the SB, but the price is right ($35 each) and at the time I needed to replace and expand my home audio and found it difficult to source the extra SB devices I needed.

Note Chromecast, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't handle 24-bit.  For my purposes these days, that's a trade off I can accept.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline tapeworm48

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 01:55:54 PM »
108 Ohms - thanks for the suggestion, going to look into it mostly for curiousity as i'm not a gamer, and primarily interested in an audio solution.

Brian - thanks for the suggestions.  let me research the chromecast + bubble option first and then consider your SBs.

I'm curious, did you consider Plex vs BubbleUPnP and if so, what did you find?  I will be looking into it as well.  From the looks of the CcA site, it supports 24/96. 

My playback setups are good to go, just need to replace the receivers.  I have optical input in the living room, and RCA/Aux in the bedroom, so it looks like CcA gives you that flexibility too.

M10 / R09 / D100

08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 02:51:05 PM »
Yep, CcA can output optical or mini analog out...just need adapters to get to RCA connectors.  If CcA supports 24/96 now, that's news to me.  Good to know!

I use Plex for my video, so am familiar with it.  Can't remember why I didn't go with Plex for audio.  Must've run into an issue at some point.  Probably time for me to re-visit, since I'd prefer to run purely Plex for both video & audio.
Roland R-05

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 01:41:43 AM »
What do people think of Sonos stuff?
My main interest is in figuring out a decent setup for some wireless speakers in other rooms.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 09:05:56 AM »
My main interest is in figuring out a decent setup for some wireless speakers in other rooms.

I love my sonos system, but there are some significant hurdles with it

1) 65k limit for songs maintained by Sonos system.  This is overcome using an separate library indexer that costs me ~$12 a year.  http://www.subsonic.org/pages/sonos.jsp .  Then the library shows up like a spotify library
2) limited to 16/44.1.  Has an impact for me, but I can live without streaming hi res in every room of the house and only listen to hi res in my listening room connected directly to the computer
3) Expensive.  The stuff ain't cheap

The good things
1) Love the convenience of music in every room
2) love the convenience of unplugging a speaker and adding music to another room
3) the playbar, sub and Play 1s for surround sound are really expensive, but easy to install and add quite a bit to flat screens who have garbage in the speaker department
4) my 10 year old and my wife can use it with little to no training from me.
5) Their HW is supposedly never obsolete.  They have supported every speaker they have sold in the 10+ years they have been around...

Questions, let me know.

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 10:48:42 PM »
I'm kind of leaning towards getting a new Onkyo amp with wifi, muti-room capability. But I'm totally open to suggestions.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 08:52:21 AM »
unfortunately I don't have any experience with the onkyo system, but my advice would be to consider a solution that has a remote app through your phone or ipad.  That is one of the nicest things about sonos...I can control it from anywhere.  And one other thought...if you have more than one family member who will be listening at once...sonos makes that as simple as can be.

Just thoughts to ponder

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 03:50:27 PM »

I love my sonos system, but there are some significant hurdles with it

1) 65k limit for songs maintained by Sonos system.  This is overcome using an separate library indexer that costs me ~$12 a year.  http://www.subsonic.org/pages/sonos.jsp .  Then the library shows up like a spotify library
2) limited to 16/44.1.  Has an impact for me, but I can live without streaming hi res in every room of the house and only listen to hi res in my listening room connected directly to the computer

2 is a deal breaker for me!  Everything I've recorded since 2007 is 24/48.  The Sonos does not even downsample does it?  I've read the adc in them is perfectly capable of 24/48 + but they won't update the firmware to include it.  They have a lot of potential but until they support 24/48 I would have to look elsewhere.

I have a friend who wants help with his and the 65k limit.  I will look in that link for him.

I'm still using 3 squeezeboxs in the house and dread the day they don't work!  A duet on my main stereo in the bonus room and a boom in the kitchen as well as the screened in back porch.

I also have fire tvs all over the house for video but that really isn't a good alternative to me.  No tv in kitchen or the deck.

but my advice would be to consider a solution that has a remote app through your phone or ipad.  That is one of the nicest things about sonos...I can control it from anywhere.

I control all sb from my Google Pixel and have on all my other android devices.  The Logitech app hasn't worked in years but Orange Squeeze is great and Squeezer isn't bad either.

Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 08:19:56 PM »
Gordon, that 65k limit is a non issue once he uses the subsonic...made sonos adoption much easier for me.

The hi res limitation does in fact suck..I don't think it will take anything at a higher bitrate than 16 unfortunately.  I have just resigned myself to high res listening is at the big system with the computer feeding the dac directly.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 10:30:07 AM »
Lots of good options noted here.

I'm a big fan of the modularity of the CcA approach.  If I want to change things up in any way, I can simply replace one or more components rather than the whole integrated unit.  Likewise, if I have hardware or software problem, I can replace the one component that has the problem instead of the whole dang thing.  And, of course, if I want to expand and / or reconfigure my audio spaces, I can do so inexpensively and with a huge array of options vs. a limited product offering by a single company.

I think of it kind of like my recording gear.  Would I buy a single, expensive system that locks me into a specific set of mics + a specific preamp + a specific recorder, all of which combined are applicable only to a very limited set of recording scenarios?  Or would I rather piece together my components individually to get my preferred features across all components in the chain and can be adapted to a variety of recording scenario I need or want?
Roland R-05

Offline tapeworm48

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 10:58:13 PM »
update from me:  i decided to go with CcA via optical cable in my main room.  i cast using my android devices through hi-fi cast.  the reason i chose this one was b/c it was the only one that i saw that could achieve gapless playback to CcA.  for the server, since i already had logitech media server running, i left it as is.  the hi-fi cast app recognizes the LMS server, and i can access the same folder structure as i have laid out on my PC.

brian, are you able to do gapless playback via CcA?

M10 / R09 / D100

08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com