Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealthing at European Festivals  (Read 3390 times)

Offline lushka

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Stealthing at European Festivals
« on: February 26, 2007, 07:02:55 AM »
Hey everyone:

Has anyone had experience in stealth taping at European Festivals? The issues which really concern me - is sneaking equipment past security at the gates and the taping environment itself: are bouncers always on the look out for tapers, are concert goer’s taper friendly or the may turn you in, etc?

Any help will be really appreciated,

Thanks.

Offline j.mart

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Stealthing at European Festivals
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 07:25:53 AM »
hi,

depends on the place you're going. europe isn't all that homogeneous. in portugal, there is absolutely no taping awareness at all. the least people expect is that someone is recording the show, therefore, if someone searches you're bag, they expect to find bottles of water and other stuff that isn't taping related. that applies for both security and concert goers. but i figure that a place like UK or germany, there will be more concern at the gates regarding tapers.

p.s. what kind of bastard turns a taper in. sheesh :-X
semi-retired

rec:
AT943 (o, c) / DPA SMK4061
Wendt X2 / ST-9100
PCM-D50 / SD 744T

archive
last.fm

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 07:47:39 AM »
Hey Lushka!

I'd be much more worried about having the right mics for the job, eg ones that can cope with wind if outdoors, or to build / buy some mini-dead rats (furry mic screen covers) that work..

..and if you're thinking of Sweden Rock, please pm me.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

sml42

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 08:20:40 AM »
In the UK at least, security is pretty much on the gate. Once you're in, you're in. Depends on the actual festival, but I'd expect them to be more focussed on looking for glass bottles / alcohol. I've been to a bunch of festivals here in the UK (admittedly, only 2 since I started taping) and my advice would be to not worry too much.

hth,
stephen

Offline lushka

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 09:25:59 AM »
Thanks for the info, guys. Guess, no "crotching" is needed. I plan to tape at an Italian Rock Festival.

Offline Semayat

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Reggae Taper
    • Reggae live
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 09:37:02 AM »
Hi,

I live in France and tape reggae shows, so i don't know much about rock festivals...

It depends on the venue...for example in Italy there's the rototom sunsplash wich allows taping (both audio or videos) and even make a contest for photos....

On the contrary i was in France that summer for the Ja sound, and the security was so tight!!! Once you were at the gate, they were looking everything (pocket, bag, shoes  :o) and once you were in, there were security in the scene looking for tapers (mainly videos) ...I have been burned during a show due to my mic  ;D the man told me : "Eh stop that or you're out!!!"....i stopped and as soon as he was far from me, i started all over  ;D :P

Honnestly, there are different policies regarding countries, places, kind of music i guess...But don't worry there's always a way to get in  :D

Bye
Semayat
Selling : SP CMC-2, SP SPSB-1

Taping rig :
Mics : SP CMC-4 (AT853's)
Preamp : CA9100 (V3.2)
Recorder : Ihp-120, H2

Offline lushka

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 09:58:33 AM »
Wow. You got caught using SP mics:) They sure enforce their anti-taping policies. How did he notice that you were taping? Did you frequently look at the meters on your recorder or was it the mic cable?

Hi,

I live in France and tape reggae shows, so i don't know much about rock festivals...

It depends on the venue...for example in Italy there's the rototom sunsplash wich allows taping (both audio or videos) and even make a contest for photos....

On the contrary i was in France that summer for the Ja sound, and the security was so tight!!! Once you were at the gate, they were looking everything (pocket, bag, shoes  :o) and once you were in, there were security in the scene looking for tapers (mainly videos) ...I have been burned during a show due to my mic  ;D the man told me : "Eh stop that or you're out!!!"....i stopped and as soon as he was far from me, i started all over  ;D :P

Honnestly, there are different policies regarding countries, places, kind of music i guess...But don't worry there's always a way to get in  :D

Bye
Semayat

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 12:20:06 PM »
As far as Germany is concerned: standard patdown/bag check procedures at the entrances. Once you're in, you shouldn't have any problems. Unless you have wires hanging out of your pants or something...

Offline macacopowa

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Barcelona Projecte Musical
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 05:00:10 PM »
Hi,

Bye
Semayat

HI, I am very interested  to know about this rototom festival, I'm looking for on their web but I don't found the taping policy. What's your experience about that? Do you know others festivals in Europe wich allows taping?
respectable rig:
Neumann km184 > Hi Ho Silver Clad Cables thegreatgumbino style> SD722

stealth way
CMC-8>3wire bb>R1/ ihp120

recordings on LMAhttp://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danimacaco

http://myspace.com/musickapes       http://db.etree.org/macacopowa

stevetoney

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 06:50:41 PM »
A couple weeks ago I was at the Melkweg in Amsterdam  :yahoo: and recorded Rose Hill Drive.  ;D  Although I stayed stealth with the AT-853's  >:D  I never saw anyone search anybody for anything.  After all this IS Holland and if you go by the Jam in the Dam DVD, pretty much everything is legal in that country.  :spin:  Course this really doesn't help you much. :-[

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 09:31:53 AM »
I would hide your recording device+bbox+mics on places they´d never dare to search for.
I live in Austria and it always depends on the security-company that has been hired to check customers for mainly bottles, cameras or other "used as possible weapons"-stuff ;).
I ALWYAS tape stealth because in 20 years of taping I got used to stealth-mics and small devices and Europe is not at all as taper-friendly as USA.

When TOTO played in MODENA(ITA) in 2004, there where security guys watching out for tapers and cameras EVERYWHERE...about 50 guys in the audience running around and checking the situation throughout the whole show. This was really extreme!
I was completely DEAD after the show, cause sometimes they stood maybe 2m beside me checking anybody for mics on their clothes or video-cellphones  ;D! it was REALLY hard work for me!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 09:38:42 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Semayat

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Reggae Taper
    • Reggae live
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 04:11:13 AM »
Wow. You got caught using SP mics:) They sure enforce their anti-taping policies. How did he notice that you were taping? Did you frequently look at the meters on your recorder or was it the mic cable?

Hi,

Bye
Semayat

Last year i was using an Ecm-719 from Sony, that may explain why i got burn  ;D ....and i was not looking everytime my mic/md, but the guy went near from me and checked me...boom, burned  :-\

HI, I am very interested  to know about this rototom festival, I'm looking for on their web but I don't found the taping policy. What's your experience about that? Do you know others festivals in Europe wich allows taping?

They do not especially accept taping (sorry for my last message), BUT they allow photos and do a contest each year. The main reason they do not care about taping at the rototom is because they broadcast on TV ALL the shows  :o (which is considerable and appreciable) A friend of mine goes every year and enter with a (my) MD everytime without problems, there are some guys filming....this is a case of liberty  ::) ...check www.arcoiris.tv , you'll be able to watch all the sets from that festival....

I do not know some other reggae festivals with a free taping policy...there's the sundance who clearly do not allow, but every year a guy tapes with a camera and seeds his movies....the summerjam is pretty against too...

The main concern is, I think, getting in....

Bye
Semayat

Selling : SP CMC-2, SP SPSB-1

Taping rig :
Mics : SP CMC-4 (AT853's)
Preamp : CA9100 (V3.2)
Recorder : Ihp-120, H2

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 06:01:38 PM »
Pearl jam in venice any chance this summer?

I know they are playing

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com