Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Webspace and Carry Cases  (Read 2554 times)

Offline indietaperwloo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Webspace and Carry Cases
« on: June 21, 2008, 01:06:17 AM »
Hey everyone!

I just have a couple questions.  The first is about webspace...where can I find it for relatively cheap and with a lot of storage space and bandwidth?  I'd post my stuff on LMA but I mostly tape bands that aren't listed.  And I'm a little wary of doing the whole torrent thing because of the new laws RE downloading and distributing because I'm worried some ambitious cop who's desperate for a collar will try and bust me even though my stuff is legit (i.e. not commercial release as opposed to an ambient recording).  So, that leaves the option of personal webspace.  I want to be able to post full length FLAC and MP3 shows and be able to host a podcast as well.

I'm also looking for a decent carry case for my gear.  The only mics I have right now are one of illconditioned's AT822's and a Sennheiser KE4-210-2 based HRTF hat.  I basically want space for the mics, my HiMD recorder, discs and extra batteries plus a small flashlight and a roll of gaffer tape if I need it.  Any recommendations?
Portable 2 track:
Sennheiser MKE2 (HRTF) > Edirol R-09
AT822 > Edirol R-09
Studio Projects C4 (ORTF/XY) > Presonus Firepod > Edirol R-09

4 Track Open Rig:
Studio Projects C4 (ORTF)/FOH Feed > Edirol R4

FOH:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > dbx 215 Graphic EQ > Behringer PMX2000 (Power Amp Section) > Behringer B1220 Mains

Multitrack:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > Tascam DA-38 w/Burr Brown Op-amps

Out:
M-Audio Fast Track Pro > Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > ESI nEar05 nearfields OR AKG K99 Headphones

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
Re: Webspace and Carry Cases
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 01:28:22 AM »
What do you consider a reasonable price for the web space?  I just switched over to GoDaddy from NetFirms.  Both give you 300gig of storage and 3000gig of bandwidth per month.  The main difference is that with NetFirms people were getting around 5Mbps downloads (less with multiple downloaders) and GoDaddy can easily max out several 20Mbps connections at the same time.  I believe GoDaddy ran me about $350 for 2 years including registering 3 domains.  NetFirms was about $300 for 2 years.  Both prices are for a shared server.  Once you get used to it GoDaddy also has better management tools.  Oh... Not sure if it matters to you but I'm a java developer and GoDaddy also allows Java where NetFirms did not.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline indietaperwloo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 08:33:35 AM »
My page would be pretty simple - comparable to illconditioned's.  I'd also like to host a monthly podcast from the site as well.
Portable 2 track:
AT822 > Edirol R-09

4 Track Open Rig:

FOH:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > dbx 215 Graphic EQ > Behringer PMX2000 (Power Amp Section) > Behringer B1220 Mains

Multitrack:

Out:
M-Audio Fast Track Pro > Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > ESI nEar05 nearfields OR AKG K99 Headphones

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 09:42:55 AM »
You could easily do that at either place.  If you want easy setup I would probably recommend someplace that has auto installs of a content management system like Joomla.  Both NetFirms and GoDaddy (others too) have that.  There are also auto installs of forums, galleries, blogs, etc.

Both also have other plans, some as low as $5 a month, but you don't get as much hard drive space or bandwidth.

Offline ozarkbilly

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 09:52:44 AM »
I'm familiar with someone that had their space pulled by GoDaddy because "their hosting account is being used as a file repository" and "all files that are stored on a hosting account must be used for a working traditional website." 

Is this pretty uncommon, to have stuff pulled down by a host?  I'm interested in setting something up, but I don't want to have to go through the intense headache of frantically backing stuff up like the person above did.

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 11:33:54 AM »
What was your friend doing?  I've used several hosts and never had anything pulled.  I would think if you put shows up and have a page someplace that links to them that would be a working traditional website.  In my case once I get my old site moved over and transitioned I used a CMS system and just make a note about each show I add.  Then I have people subscribe to the RSS feed so they can get them directly from the feed.  Either way you should always keep shows locally also and back up the rest of the site regularly.

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 11:46:31 AM »
I'm familiar with someone that had their space pulled by GoDaddy because "their hosting account is being used as a file repository" and "all files that are stored on a hosting account must be used for a working traditional website." 

Is this pretty uncommon, to have stuff pulled down by a host?
Food for thought:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_Daddy#Controversies
http://nodaddy.com/

Regarding the carrying case, I'm very happy with my lumbar packs (High Sierra Corkscrew and Lowe Alpine Mesa Runner). Is this what you're looking for, or are they too small for the AT822?
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline indietaperwloo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 12:41:07 PM »
Regarding the carrying case, I'm very happy with my lumbar packs (High Sierra Corkscrew and Lowe Alpine Mesa Runner). Is this what you're looking for, or are they too small for the AT822?

The AT822 doesn't have the body and has 3 flexible "legs" so I can mount it easier.  It's a special mod by illconditioned which he has loaned me for doing acoustic shows (I use the KE4 omni HRTF hat for most of my tapes).  So I'd imagine it could possibly fit.  I've had good experiences with High Sierra as I had a backpack of theirs that lasted me for *years* - I took that thing everywhere with me and ran it into the ground.  I think a lumbar pack would probably be perfect for what I do.  Just enough to hold the hat, batt box, discs, HiMD and maybe an R-09 when I get one (I'm planning on renting one for a month from mid July-August), batteries, flashlight and if I get one big enough, maybe some gaffer tape as well.

Thanks for all your input!  Netfirms sounds like the best deal to me.
Portable 2 track:
AT822 > Edirol R-09

4 Track Open Rig:

FOH:

Multitrack:

Out:

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 12:58:04 PM »
Yea... I knew about most of the GoDaddy stuff.  For pretty much any provider if you search on them you will find negative posts.  GoDaddy being one of the bigger ones you will probably find more.  If you are going to run a torrent site, especially if you allow Microsoft stuff, GoDaddy is not the place for you.  Maybe something like DreamHost.  Keeping in mind you will pay more.  And note it was not worth it for the torrent site to move to a new provider after the issue.  As for the family album site.  When you sign up part of the terms of service is that you will keep your info current.  GoDaddy is located here in Scottsdale and since I am also a local developer I know some people that work there through professional contacts.  In the past I've talked to them about some of this stuff and they have had perfectly reasonable responses for what happened.  I'm not trying to be a GoDaddy mark, but so far it is much better than other services I have used.  That being said there are plenty of other options out there.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 03:05:43 PM »
I use GoDaddy ONLY for domain registration.  Way too many problems with their hosting products.  If you're going to be hosting mp3's (legal or not) with them prepare for your site to be scanned regularly for anything illegal.  If I was worried about the security of sharing files over a BT network I certainly wouldn't want them on a host like godaddy.

Right now i've got a site at hostgator.  There is also 1and1.com

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 04:07:51 PM »
Out of curiosity what speeds do you get with HostGator?  I've looked at them in the past but since my 2 primary domains are work related and I need Java they were not an option.  The site I share my recordings on is really secondary since I have the extra bandwidth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com