Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ways to cut down crowd noise  (Read 5291 times)

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am a real American
ways to cut down crowd noise
« on: January 05, 2004, 09:32:28 PM »
what are the best ways to cut on crowd noise?  besides running high and having shotguns.  Any special tricks?  This question comes because i am a frequent taper at the recher theatre and the crowd noise in there in is ridiculous.  If i run too high i sacrifice sound.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
Re:ways to cut down crowd noise
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 09:44:46 PM »
Recher is a horrible place for ambient taping.

I hate the way you are FORCED to set up behind the sbd up against the wall.
12-31-2001 we arrived with the band and was going to hang mics from the projector cradle but venue security wouldnt let us(and we were with the band!). done shows there with maybe 100 people in attendance and we couldnt even put mics on the small tables at the front of the carpet section, etc....

dont know what to tell you

the water's clean and innocent

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 09:46:09 PM »
sometimes there is not much you can do, shotguns and good hypers help, but some places you are just going to get shitty sound and a lot of crowd noise.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline super-phat-al

• I am a real American
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 09:49:44 PM »
true.  the recher does suck when it comes to taping.  I did talk to the manger the other night and explained my rig to him and how it worked.  Maybe i scored some points?  I dont know.  its actually a decent sounding venue, but the ts sucks so much.  However they do have AC power which is cool and the manager said he encourages people to use it.  Also the recher's SBD is always open, doesn't matter who it is.  I wish i would have pulled a Del and Les soundboard.  If i would have known it was gonna be so quiet i would have.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 09:50:43 PM »
XY, give it a shot al....the few times ive ran it have been in noisy bars and clubs ala newport!!!

and i hate the imaging, but the crowd noise is pretty reduced!!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 09:54:40 PM »
be careful with those sbd outs...1 of the XLR pairs is shorted(cant remember which pair is good/bad) and if cables are plugged into the bad pair neither pair will work until it is unplugged
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 09:55:53 PM by luvean »

Offline super-phat-al

• I am a real American
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 09:59:58 PM »
be careful with those sbd outs...1 of the XLR pairs is shorted(cant remember which pair is good/bad) and if cables are plugged into the bad pair neither pair will work until it is unplugged
im pretty sure its the bottom pair.  Hopefully ill be getting a job there soon.  Ill be running the monitors for local nights.  So ill get all the specs down :)

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 10:04:20 PM »
superphatal, you should go to Ottobar friday night for Big In Japan!
its probably my favorite small club Ive ever been in.

Offline super-phat-al

• I am a real American
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2004, 10:58:21 PM »
ive been there before and i thought that venue was awesome.  Big in Japan is pretty cool.  But i dont think my parents would want me driving down on Howard street by myself.  im kind of in a catch 22 because ive only had my license for 3 weeks and my parents would let me go if i had someone with me, but they wont let me drive with anyone.  In a month or so it will change.

Offline Arglebargle

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2004, 11:09:59 PM »
I've been experimenting with stage taping, semi stealth style(low profile, no permission asked). I've had mixed results, sometimes they come out good, sometimes not so good. Then again the venues I go to the crowd usually piles their coats and crap on the front of the stage, and I throw my rig up with the all the crap in a bag. Unfortunately the mics I've been using can't seem to handle the volume so well. I'm thinking of instead of using my DPAs to use my AKG 480s and see if that works well. I'll have to rig up some kind of straps to use XY if I can. The biggest problem I've been having by putting my gear on the front of the stage is where exactly the monitors are, that makes a lot of difference in the sound. Perhaps I'll get a bowling ball bag and put the mics on top and the gear inside. Still trying to work out the details in my head. Think think think think think think. Good luck!! I should add I really don't have to much of a clue what I'm doing I just enjoy experimenting!

Edited to say the other issue I run into is not being able to monitor the levels because of the way I place the mics on top keeps me from wanting to rustle around with them. Gotta work that out too!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 11:14:39 PM by Arglebargle »

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2004, 11:22:15 PM »
if you have a sturdy stand and a long boom attachment and small capsules, you can run a counter balanced boom from the section area behind the soundboard and hang your mics out and over the crowd.   I have seen this done at the recher, so they shouldn't freak out if you do it.  That will get your mics in between the stacks.  If you set up a straight stand your going to get a mono recording off the left stack.

You might try running fob in your hat.  When I was there, they only bitched after we tried to set up a stand in the middle, then they kicked us back.  It seemed more like it was the stand, and not that we wanted to run up there.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2004, 01:17:42 AM »
hypers and x/y are your best bet
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline timP

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2004, 01:48:48 AM »
not to threadjack, but............
anyone run FOB stealth at the Recher....
born and breed Towson here, and am planning on doing some taping there.... Should get pretty good results being so damn tall, just wondered if those azz hole bouncers have messed with yall in the past...
sound is great up towards the front and always thought you'd get a better feel for the show up there...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 01:50:55 AM by spreadahead »
?>FR2LE

Offline herrmann2burn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • West by God
    • my tradelist
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2004, 05:14:20 PM »
what are the best ways to cut on crowd noise?  besides running high and having shotguns.  Any special tricks?  This question comes because i am a frequent taper at the recher theatre and the crowd noise in there in is ridiculous.  If i run too high i sacrifice sound.

Try using a mean glare at the ppl who are talking...if all else fails try the finger to the lips signal...both have been known to cause mixed results.
Take me home, country roads...to the place, i belong...

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/herrmann2burn

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 05:20:56 PM »
born and breed Towson here, and am planning on doing some taping there.... Should get pretty good results being so damn tall, just wondered if those azz hole bouncers have messed with yall in the past...
sound is great up towards the front and always thought you'd get a better feel for the show up there...

I did a Maceo Parker show back in 2000 (?) fob/dfc, 5 1/2' stand, about 15' from stage, with Neumann ak40>lc3ka>km100>v2>dap1.  No problems.  Haven't taped there since.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline super-phat-al

• I am a real American
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2004, 02:52:37 PM »

I did a Maceo Parker show back in 2000 (?) fob/dfc, 5 1/2' stand, about 15' from stage, with Neumann ak40>lc3ka>km100>v2>dap1.  No problems.  Haven't taped there since.
you're one lucky bastard then because there is no way you could pull that off now.  On NYE the guy next to me was 5" over the boxed by tape taperssection and the manager bitched at him.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2004, 06:02:27 PM »
tape front of stack.  only morons would carry on a conversation in that area.

DaryanLenz

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2004, 09:07:45 PM »
Alex, get some hyper caps bud.  When Chris and I were there for Particle this summer, remember puffin while hiding from your girlfriend ;D, the hyper tapes sounded very good.  Very little to no crowd noise.  I can shoot you a copy if you want to hear them!

D

Offline super-phat-al

• I am a real American
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2004, 11:45:36 PM »
Alex, get some hyper caps bud.  When Chris and I were there for Particle this summer, remember puffin while hiding from your girlfriend ;D, the hyper tapes sounded very good.  Very little to no crowd noise.  I can shoot you a copy if you want to hear them!

D
yeah i think my next purchase will be some hyper caps for the oktavas.  Really interested to see how they sound.  But damn they cost so much more then the mics themselves.  $128 for a pair.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com