Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAT > PC Conversion Help...  (Read 3246 times)

Offline blguillen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
DAT > PC Conversion Help...
« on: January 08, 2004, 03:06:08 PM »
Hey all  8)

I have a question about (finally) getting around to transferring some of my tapes to cd.  I have the following soundcard to use (if i need to get another one in the long run, i'm down to do that):

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=ce4f3b6d13494004f69f07cb11070055

and this 7 pin cable:  http://www.micsupply.com/active7pin.htm

I'm using soundforge to record into.  The problem is that I'm not getting anything out of my dat (signal wise).  But, if i run an analog cable line out of the dat into the soundcard, I get signal and it sound pretty good.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? or can offer any advice to me?  Any help is greatly appreciative.

Thanks!!

Bobby
mk4's > nbox >  laptop
mc012's > ps2 > ad20 > 7 pin > d8
at853's > sp battery box > ad20 > 7 pn > d8

www.nancies.org | Moderator
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree.php | Live Music Archive Admin

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Let's go Pens!
Re:DAT > PC Conversion Help...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 04:27:38 PM »
Hey all  8)

I have a question about (finally) getting around to transferring some of my tapes to cd.  I have the following soundcard to use (if i need to get another one in the long run, i'm down to do that):

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=ce4f3b6d13494004f69f07cb11070055

I'm using soundforge to record into.  The problem is that I'm not getting anything out of my dat (signal wise).  But, if i run an analog cable line out of the dat into the soundcard, I get signal and it sound pretty good.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? or can offer any advice to me?  Any help is greatly appreciative.

Thanks!!

Bobby

hmm...well I've never used this device but if DAT > analog out > soundcard > USB > PC works than it sounds like the problem is probably between the DAT and the soundcard.

Check your cable to make sure that it is switched digital and not analog transmission.  Also maybe the cables are mislabelled?  Try plugging the other one into the sound card and see if you get a signal.  
Other than that, do you have any way to verify that the cable you have works?
Also, what Sony DAT recorder do you have?
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 04:38:11 PM »
I'm using soundforge to record into.  The problem is that I'm not getting anything out of my dat (signal wise).

I don't think it's reasonable, given the information available so far, to conclude you're not getting signal out of your DAT.  Before we make that conclusion, we need to verify at a minimum:

[1] all physical connections and cables are connected and functioning properly
[2] proper soundcard drivers are installed and working
[3] soundcard is configured correctly for digital input
[4] proper Soundforge configuration for recording a digital signal

As I look more closely at your post, looks like you're using the Pro Digital 7-in cable which transmits a S/PDIF signal over coax wire with RCA connectors.  The specs on your M-Audio sound capture device indicate it may receive a S/PDIF optical signal with 1/8" connector.  Based on this, it appears you need:

[a] a sound capture device that accepts S/PDIF coax, or
a 7-pin > optical cable, or
[c] a coax > optical digital format converter
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 04:42:25 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 04:41:02 PM »
Hey all  8)

Thanks!!

Bobby

make sure your soundcard's setting is set to SPDIF IN.  MAudio should have a Control Panel. perhaps you need to d/l it from MAudio.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 04:47:34 PM »

As I look more closely at your post, looks like you're using the Pro Digital 7-in cable which transmits a S/PDIF signal over coax wire with RCA connectors.  The specs on your M-Audio sound capture device indicate it may receive a S/PDIF optical signal with 1/8" connector.  Based on this, it appears you need:

I thought that at first too Brian, but after doing so snooping around on micsupply.com it does appear that it is indeed an optical cable, unless mic supply is blatently lying.

http://www.micsupply.com/sonyopticalcables.htm
                                            ^^^^
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 04:51:10 PM »
I thought that at first too Brian, but after doing so snooping around on micsupply.com it does appear that it is indeed an optical cable, unless mic supply is blatently lying.

^^^^

I think MicSupply's web page filename is just wrong.  The only optical device on that page is the toslink > mini adapter.
Roland R-05

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 04:53:21 PM »

^^^^

I think MicSupply's web page filename is just wrong.  The only optical device on that page is the toslink > mini adapter.

It's very confusing what they have there, but they do list this as the description for the adapter

MicSupply.com customers have almost exhausted the 7-pin pin optical cable supply available.  The mini-toslink adapter makes enables the flexibility to use any of  the optical cables on this page in any optical input (toslink or mini optical).

To me this indicates that the cables on the page are meant to be optical, but I do admit they looked coaxial to me at a glance.  After looking at it more closely though I agree with you.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 04:54:27 PM by thoman8r »
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 04:58:01 PM »
I guarantee it's not possible to pass an optical signal through an RCA connector.  Their page is just plain wrong.  'Course, I've been known to be wrong before after making such a bold statement...   :-X
Roland R-05

Offline blguillen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 06:23:49 PM »
Also, what Sony DAT recorder do you have?
i'm using a d8

it is on digial, and on an analog setting.  one is for in, and the other is for out.  at the moment i have no real way to verify whehter or not the cable works (I just bought it yesterday).
mk4's > nbox >  laptop

Offline blguillen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2004, 06:28:07 PM »

I don't think it's reasonable, given the information available so far, to conclude you're not getting signal out of your DAT.  Before we make that conclusion, we need to verify at a minimum:

[1] all physical connections and cables are connected and functioning properly
[2] proper soundcard drivers are installed and working
[3] soundcard is configured correctly for digital input
[4] proper Soundforge configuration for recording a digital signal

its all installed & connected properly

ah, ok.  so a 7 pin > optical cable adaptor would work then?  I'll check it out and see if it'll work.  i have a 1/8 mini connector adaptor on the rca out side of the cable.  or should i just get another soundcard?
mk4's > nbox >  laptop

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2004, 06:37:41 PM »
ah, ok.  so a 7 pin > optical cable adaptor would work then?  I'll check it out and see if it'll work.  i have a 1/8 mini connector adaptor on the rca out side of the cable.  or should i just get another soundcard?

Yeah, that's your problem - using a RCA > 1/8" adapter won't work because the sound capture device is expecting an optical signal, not an electrical signal.  Your 7-pin > RCA cable + RCA > 1/8" mini adapter is providing an electrical signal.

A 7-pin > optical cable *would* work, but IMO you should keep the 7-pin > coax you have currently (much more robust than the 7-pin > optical cables out there) and just get a different soundcard.  Lots of inexpensive options for soundcards, there've been some posts recently about different cards.  Try a search and ask more questions if you need to.  Is there a reason you're using an external sound capture device?  Are you using a desktop or laptop?  PC or Mac?
Roland R-05

Offline blguillen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2004, 06:49:00 PM »

Yeah, that's your problem - using a RCA > 1/8" adapter won't work because the sound capture device is expecting an optical signal, not an electrical signal.  Your 7-pin > RCA cable + RCA > 1/8" mini adapter is providing an electrical signal.

A 7-pin > optical cable *would* work, but IMO you should keep the 7-pin > coax you have currently (much more robust than the 7-pin > optical cables out there) and just get a different soundcard.  Lots of inexpensive options for soundcards, there've been some posts recently about different cards.  Try a search and ask more questions if you need to.  Is there a reason you're using an external sound capture device?  Are you using a desktop or laptop?  PC or Mac?
i just got a fujitsu laptop, and wanted to get this as an alternative to maybe the vxpocket, and run ad20 (optical out) > (optical in) m audio trackman and from ad20 > 7 pin > dat as a backup,.

i figured it would work for a dat transfer too.  no worries though.  i'll do some more reading up on the soundcard threads (Yeah, there has been lots o discussion about it recently) and get me one i can internally connect to my regular pc.

Many thanks Brian!!! I got lots o shows coming up in socal that I wanna hit up, and wanna spread some of my recent stealths too...  8)
mk4's > nbox >  laptop

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2004, 07:18:43 PM »
with the m-audio soundcard you have to screw around with the control panel.  Use the s/pdif internal clock, make sure you have coax digital input selected (might have to toggle back and forth to detect a signal), and the type of signal (consumer or pro) has to match what ever your deck is putting out

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com