Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: quick ? before i buy this wmod ua5  (Read 5792 times)

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
quick ? before i buy this wmod ua5
« on: January 09, 2004, 03:26:43 PM »
im about i click from buying one of these from the oades. i already have sweet sony lappy. this is my next step. this worries me a little:

The mod disables the digital output from a computer to the UA5 via the USB port, so you cannot send data from the computer to the UA5 on the USB buss. This does not affect your ability to record with it, only your ability to send data from your hard drive to the UA5 via USB.

does this mean no transfer from lappy to desktop via ua5?

and another, if i have no mics (yet) do i need alternate power for the ua5 or can it run of the usb bus for patching purposes. i have 2 batteries so i should (praying) have enough juice for both.

one last question, i need a patch for moe. in the atl please.

thanks for all your help and infinite wisdom. you guys are the shizzle. sorry snoop dogg just played herr.

drew
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
Re:quick ? before i buy this wmod ua5
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 03:35:27 PM »
Why would you "transfer" from laptop to desktop via a UA-5?  Don't you have a network cable?  ???
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 03:37:15 PM »
im about i click from buying one of these from the oades. i already have sweet sony lappy. this is my next step. this worries me a little:

The mod disables the digital output from a computer to the UA5 via the USB port, so you cannot send data from the computer to the UA5 on the USB buss. This does not affect your ability to record with it, only your ability to send data from your hard drive to the UA5 via USB.

yes

and another, if i have no mics (yet) do i need alternate power for the ua5 or can it run of the usb bus for patching purposes. i have 2 batteries so i should (praying) have enough juice for both.

I don't think it can run of the usb bus.  You'll want to look into an external power solution I think.  Either eco-charge or DIY.  I built mine and it was  under 100 bucks.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 03:39:27 PM »
Why would you "transfer" from laptop to desktop via a UA-5?  Don't you have a network cable?  ???

I think USB 1.1 is 100 mbps so if his network card was only 10 base T the usb would be much faster.  But yeah, you can always do it via ethernet.

Can't you just hook the laptop directly into the usb bus of a desktop?

(I dunno, I don't own a laptop.)
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 03:42:14 PM »
so the oades battery pack is not worth what they ask? yes i have a network cable. what i meant to ask was can it still be used as a tranfer device from any digital medium to desktop?

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 03:43:34 PM »
I don't think it can run of the usb bus.  You'll want to look into an external power solution I think.  Either eco-charge or DIY.  I built mine and it was  under 100 bucks.

Nope, definitely is not powered via the USB bus.  External power all the way.  There're links in the Archival Info section about inexpensive, simple, reliable DIY battery solutions or the UA5.  Check it out and decide for yourself whether the Oade's is worth the cash.  I know my answer.  :)

And agreed with the others, here - you don't want to go lappy > UA5 > desktop for transferring recordings.  Get an inexpensive ethernet hub or run peer-peer for transferring the files.

From what other digital medium would you want to transfer device>  UA5 > desktop?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 03:45:19 PM »
The UA5 cannot be powered via USB, you must use the supplied AC "wall wart" power supply or buy/build a battery system.  I built one from Rat Shack NiMH 9.6v packs and Adapta-Plug connectors for about $50-60 including charger.

It is true, the mod will kill the USB playback capabilities of the UA5.  It won't let you go spdif out to your desktop digi i/o card.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 03:45:22 PM »
so the oades battery pack is not worth what they ask? yes i have a network cable. what i meant to ask was can it still be used as a tranfer device from any digital medium to desktop?

I've never seen an oade battery pack, but I'm sure it's a quality product as all their stuff is.  It's probably a lot more sturdy and rugged than a DIY solution would be, plus you don't have to go through the hassle of soldering connections and piecing together a battery pack yourself.  That's what you're really paying for.

If you've got the money, I'd say go for it or an eco-charge.

- Dwight Schrute

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 03:47:20 PM »
i have a home dat deck that was a gift. i have never used it because i have no dats. i was trying to kill 2 birds with one stone. getting a recording device and a dat to desktop transfer device. my current sound card sucks. thanks for the input on batts.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 04:05:15 PM »
fwiw, USB 1.x is something like 9-11mbps.  Even plain ol' 10baseT is way faster transfer than USB..which requires CPU power to do a lot of things as well ..spin the discs..etc.

you transfer from your laptop via a home network.  

with the oade mod, I believe you give up DAC functionality w/the UA-5.  I can't remember exactly what the trade off was, but if your using it for recording purposes only then it was certainly the way to go.

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 04:11:26 PM »
Yeah you're right.  I don't know where I got that figure from, USB 2.0 is like 480 mbps and firewire 400 mbps.

- Dwight Schrute

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2004, 11:41:12 PM »
I'd actuly recomend a DIY battery pack, for these reasons:
*Cheaper
*Lighter
*Smaller
*Not as poisonous (not exactly a big issue)
*You can use the extra $$ to buy cool things ... like a mini-mag light or a firewire card ect ect ect

the cable does'nt actuly require any solder, its nice if you have it as it esures a good connection, but it is not strictly nessisary. I'll make you a cable at cost if you need it.
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2004, 04:21:42 AM »
i may take you up on it, but i think i should nut up and get the oades. seriously, though, i appreciate yalls feedback. thanks alot. back to lurk mode.

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2004, 10:26:27 AM »

From What I know the UA-5 is NOT bit for BIT accurate , so You would Not want to use it for transfers anyway.

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2004, 04:03:15 PM »
bit perfect recording=yes
bit perfect transfering=no

that fuckin sucks

DaryanLenz

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2004, 04:31:51 PM »
Well if you a recording at 48 anyway, it just resamples the incoming data to 44.1, saving you a software step IMHO.  Also, I would build the pack to power it yourself.  I can honestly say that NONE of the portable power solutions sold by vendors are worth remotely close to what they charge.

D

Offline dsanders79

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2004, 06:42:47 AM »
First post over here, anyway.  While the UA5 is not bit perfect, if I have a DAT at 48khz I sometimes use the UA5 to transfer the show and use it to resample to 44.1 on the fly.  It saves me from having to use software (all I have is Sound Forge which I have heard isn't the best for that, although I have not actually tested myself).  I do have another sound card for bit perfect transfers.  While it is not ideal to do non-bit perfect transfers, I feel it is alright as long as you list how you transferred the show so that people know.  I personally love my w-UA5.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2004, 08:40:14 AM »
First post over here, anyway.  While the UA5 is not bit perfect, if I have a DAT at 48khz I sometimes use the UA5 to transfer the show and use it to resample to 44.1 on the fly.  It saves me from having to use software (all I have is Sound Forge which I have heard isn't the best for that, although I have not actually tested myself).  I do have another sound card for bit perfect transfers.  While it is not ideal to do non-bit perfect transfers, I feel it is alright as long as you list how you transferred the show so that people know.  I personally love my w-UA5.

there is nothing wrong with Soundforge's resampling...its dithering isnt as good as Wavelabs though

the water's clean and innocent

Offline joemango

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2004, 03:33:24 PM »
Use a network cable!

It's faster and more reliable than using s/pdif and relying on two possible resampling steps (one going out of the UA-5 and the other going into the Desktop PC) to get it done.  Even wireless would be faster than doing a real-time transfer.

If you don't have a network hub, you can use what they call a crossover network cable to connect 2 pc's directly.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2004, 04:00:10 PM »

there is nothing wrong with Soundforge's resampling...its dithering isnt as good as Wavelabs though

SF 6.0 has different levels of 'accuracy' that it resamples with, when it analyzes first.  Obviously this will impact both the resample quality, in addition to how long it takes.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com