Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Small lightweight stand?  (Read 4888 times)

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
Small lightweight stand?
« on: January 13, 2004, 06:57:47 PM »
Since I'm going all small and light (see the  "I like small mics..." thread) I'd also like a small stand for situations that require a stand. I have the Ultrapod for "clamping", which is the ultimate for being lightweight and small, but doesn't always work out in all the venues I go to.  
I recently sold my Bogen Big-Ass (not the real name) 13' stand. It was a great stand, but I'd love something smaller, lighter, and with a smaller footprint. I think something in the 7' to 9' range that folds up nice and small would be ideal. Any suggestions? I've searched around B&K a bit but there are so many damn stands there it's hard to narrow it down. Those are also not being sold as portable stands like we would want but more for studio lighting, so it's hard to tell how small they can fold up.
The big Bogen stand was a pain if the wife and I were going out to dinner before the show and I'd have to carry it in and try not to hit people with it.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

M@
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Small lightweight stand?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 07:03:15 PM »
Check the Archival Info forum, Matt - some good options there including part numbers.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 07:03:45 PM »
Bogen makes just such a stand. nice and small with a small footprint. you can even saw the legs down to make it even smaller...

don't have mine handy but the stand # is on the site somewhere
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 07:25:24 PM »
3373 is one such model

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 07:32:49 PM »
3373 is one such model

that's the one

it's endorsed by fob tapers worldwide  8)

you can actually see one here http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=20;action=display;threadid=11892
it's the stand pictured
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 10:55:28 PM »
3373 is one such model

I have one too, great stealth stand, can also be used on stage.

Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 12:05:47 PM »
APIC (American Photographic Instrument Company) makes a nice small footprint stand that I use.  Closed is only 22" and 2" in diameter, extends up to 9 feet.  I like the added extension compared to the 3373 Bogen since it can easily be used as a TS stand as well as FOB.  Only problem is this model doesn't come in black, only silver.  I spray painted mine flat black a year or so ago, and the paint job has held up well.   Oh, also, only good for small mics or active capsules at full extension.  Sorry--don't know the exact part number offhand.

-Todd
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 12:08:33 PM »
careful spray painting a stand that you don't paint ove rthe joints etc.
e-scott ruined a stand this way

Offline mattb

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 12:10:19 PM »
Is there anything that's a little taller than the 3373 but still with folding legs? That stand is 6'2" and I'd like to be just a little taller to get over the heads of just about everyone but Shaq.
Or has onyone ever made or bought a little extension? About 1' taller would be ideal. On B&H it looks like the next step up is something like this Comet 0470 Stand:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=148860&is=REG
Anyone got any experience with this or any Comet stand? I'm not familiar with them at all. Any other suggestions for a 7' stand that folds up nice and small?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 12:11:39 PM by mattb »

Offline mattb

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2004, 12:16:48 PM »
APIC (American Photographic Instrument Company) makes a nice small footprint stand that I use.  Closed is only 22" and 2" in diameter, extends up to 9 feet.  I like the added extension compared to the 3373 Bogen since it can easily be used as a TS stand as well as FOB.  Only problem is this model doesn't come in black, only silver.  I spray painted mine flat black a year or so ago, and the paint job has held up well.   Oh, also, only good for small mics or active capsules at full extension.  Sorry--don't know the exact part number offhand.

-Todd

That sounds really good. Do you remember where you got it?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2004, 12:21:27 PM »
3373 is one such model

I have one too, great stealth stand, can also be used on stage.

Ben

thats the one....great stand
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2004, 12:44:56 PM »
it says only 6'2'? Seems taller than that... I'm just about 6' tall and it's well over my head

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2004, 12:57:22 PM »

That sounds really good. Do you remember where you got it?

Got it off ebay used--sorry not much help there.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2004, 01:54:38 PM »
I have an APIC stand as well, I believe it's the 10' Blacklight series.  I almost always my Bogen 3733, though.

While the 3733 specs say 6'2.3" (74.8"), you can go 4-6" (guessing here, don't have it in front of me) higher than that by not extending the legs out flat.  I like the leg design on the 3733 a lot because I can get extra height, as well as shrink down the footprint.  I don't use the APIC as much anymore because it has a larger, less variable footprint.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline mattb

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2004, 02:20:55 PM »
I have an APIC stand as well, I believe it's the 10' Blacklight series.  I almost always my Bogen 3733, though.

While the 3733 specs say 6'2.3" (74.8"), you can go 4-6" (guessing here, don't have it in front of me) higher than that by not extending the legs out flat.  I like the leg design on the 3733 a lot because I can get extra height, as well as shrink down the footprint.  I don't use the APIC as much anymore because it has a larger, less variable footprint.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I think I'll do that 3733 stand and I see B&H also has some used 12" and 18" extensions. If I got an 18" extension I could probably use this stand in the section or FOB/onstage. I know extending it will make it less stable, but my stuff is small and light so I don't think it will matter much.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com