Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie Rig Suggestions  (Read 4280 times)

Offline shroominhumpy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team Ghetto Rig--Cheap gear. Sick Tapes.
Newbie Rig Suggestions
« on: January 14, 2004, 08:21:41 PM »
All right here it goes. I am like all other high school seniors and dirt poor, but the jam-band and taping scene has fortunately bitten me and I have come to the conclusion I need to expand my rig. I have a MD recorder, and a set of binaural mics. I want a good cardioid stereo rig for under $200. I would also welcome suggestions on what stuff to get and where to get it. If you like some mics that are maybe lesser known than the AT-853's and you have some good reasons to get them, let me know. I appreciate all suggestions. Thank you guys so much. Advice like this is what really makes taping such an awesome community and hobby.

Jason
If mass communications blend together harmoniously, and often unnoticeably, art, politics, religion, and philosophy with commercials, they bring these realms of culture to their common denominator—the commodity form. The music of the soul is also the music of salesmanship.
Herbert Marcuse

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
Re:Newbie Rig Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 08:23:01 PM »
Sound Pro AT831s. :) Right in your budget.

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 09:19:52 PM »
I have the sound professionals version of the at831 and I love em.  if you can afford the at853's I'd get them though, a little more flexibility.  oh yeah, get a batt box too.  :)
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 09:22:46 PM »
You might want to look @ Superlux SMK-H8Ks. Very nice mics for the price! Do a search over @ archive.org check out the derek trucks show, and the dirty dozen brass band show...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 10:04:55 PM »
I have the SP 853s, which were one of my first mics...and I still use them today for stealthing...at the price point you can get them...they pack a nice punch

Offline shroominhumpy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 10:30:51 PM »
I have had one person suggest to me that I try this setup. If I could squeeze it for under 200 would it be worth it?
Superlux SMK-H8Ks>Samson Mixpad 4>Sony MZ-N505(Already have the MD). Is this a decent starters rig?
If mass communications blend together harmoniously, and often unnoticeably, art, politics, religion, and philosophy with commercials, they bring these realms of culture to their common denominator—the commodity form. The music of the soul is also the music of salesmanship.
Herbert Marcuse

jpschust

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 10:31:59 PM »
you could also jump in on those akgc1000s for sale, decent mics

Offline Swampy

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 10:36:19 PM »
I have had one person suggest to me that I try this setup. If I could squeeze it for under 200 would it be worth it?
Superlux SMK-H8Ks>Samson Mixpad 4>Sony MZ-N505(Already have the MD). Is this a decent starters rig?

Thats what I ran. Check out some of thoes tapes on the archive if you have broadband. Damn nice rig for the money IMHO. The C1000s are also nice mics in the price range. FWIW I like the Superlux because of the extras they came with, they are matched pairs, and their cheapness...

jpschust

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 10:40:16 PM »
the problem with buying the mixpad is you are gonna ditch that POS pretty damn fast.  they just sound like ass.  id rather have line transformers than that thing in my rig.

Offline shroominhumpy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2004, 10:40:58 PM »
I am downloading the tapes as we speak. I like what I am reading about the mics. There is a Samson on Ebay right now with like 4 hours left and it is sitting at $50. I am tempted to bid, just for the sake of having a phantom power unit and pre-amp on my hands for that price. Any advice for this phase?
Herbert Marcuse

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2004, 11:04:02 PM »
there's no preamp quite like....... no preamp. a set of switchable line transformers, some c1000's...should sound pretty good.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline Swampy

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2004, 11:24:05 PM »
the problem with buying the mixpad is you are gonna ditch that POS pretty damn fast.  they just sound like ass.  id rather have line transformers than that thing in my rig.

I have to disagree... I think for the cash its great for a newbie...

radioboy1977

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2004, 11:50:26 PM »

Thats what I ran. Check out some of thoes tapes on the archive if you have broadband. Damn nice rig for the money IMHO. The C1000s are also nice mics in the price range. FWIW I like the Superlux because of the extras they came with, they are matched pairs, and their cheapness...

listen to alex.  he knows what he's talking about.

Offline chuckcage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2004, 05:46:46 PM »
I'll say again that not only do the C1000s sound quite decent, the coolest thing about them is that they're virtually indestructable, have inserts that give you both cards and hypers right off the bat, take an internal battery so you have no phantom power needs, and are VERY inexpensive, available, and reliable on the used market!

Chuck
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2004, 05:57:32 PM »
true dat.  i have some c1000 shows, but they sounded like ass cause they didnt' have line transformers on them.   strait to MD.  but i've heard many other people have good results from them.  I think get started like that, get some c1000's power them by batteries, and then run line transformers, no need for the mixpad.  then in the future look into upgrading away from MD. i noticed one huge hell of a difference, but keep it around, its really really handy to have. i still have mine, and use it the same or even more than my dat, but not for shows, cause i like my dat.  but good luck, +T man get something started and get something recorded.

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com