Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Low vocals, but the instrumentals are crystal clear-what happened?  (Read 5708 times)

Offline toolrep1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hi Everyone!

I have a technical question for the board, with a situation that I've never encountered before.  My friend recently taped a show, and I just listened to it, and I'm confused.  She was essentially dead center, against the stage, right in front of the lead singer (the show was GA, the room held about 700 people, and open taping wasn't allowed). 

Here is how she describes her taping position:

"I was stage front with mics about mid-chest height on my purse handles hanging from my shoulder.  About 3 feet from stage as we had to keep a space clear for camerman (the show was filmed for an upcoming DVD release).  Stage is high, about at my chin height.  Nearest bank of speakers were suspended from ceiling to my right & up pretty high.  I aimed mics that direction.  I did notice when anyone was talking the sound was lower & vocals were hard to distinguish when singing but could make them out listening carefully." 

Without touching the "raw" master, the instrumentals (guitars, bass, keyboards, drums, etc.) are crystal clear.  I mean, up there with the best "stealth" recordings I've pulled with the Edirol HR-09R.  But the vocals are just really low.  On the more acoustic numbers, it's not as noticeable, but on the more guitar-heavy songs, it's almost hard to hear the vocals, as they're overpowered by the music.

So my questions are:

1. Could this be the result of the taping position?

2. Do anyone know of anyway to boost the vocals without increasing the volume of the music?  The entire recording does not need to be increased in sound level, only the vocals.  I don't have the knowledge to do this, but I figured somebody on this board might be able to help...I've never done any post-processing of shows, so I don't even know where I would begin...

Ok, hope to hear from someone soon-thanks!

Andy

Offline rhinowing

• Needs to get out more...
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
Re: Low vocals, but the instrumentals are crystal clear-what happened?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 02:54:33 PM »
textbook case of standing too close to the stage...
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline toolrep1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 03:08:03 PM »
Ok, can you please elaborate on this "standing too close to the stage?"

And, are there software programs out there than can separate vocals from instrumentals, allowing for just the vocals to be boosted?

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 03:22:43 PM »
Lets say this is an average rock band...

The instruments all have on stage amplification, the vocals are only coming through the on stage monitors and the FOH PA system. The mics were placed in a position where they didn't pick up the monitors ( in front of you but facing the band ) or the PA ( hung from the ceiling will go straight over your head on the first row ).

As far as being able to fix it with software....I don't think I'd even try it....I'd just scrap it and go with lesson learned.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 03:29:11 PM »
I wonder if the mics' height may also be contributing to the problem - mid-chest sounds pretty low, which in my experience usually equals fewer high frequencies, something that always seems to take a higher toll on the clarity and perceived proximity of vocals.

In terms of being too close to the stage, I think what Rhinowig is getting at is that you can often be so close to the action that the PA system projects beyond you, so you get everything that is coming off the stage but anything that is coming only through the PA (ie vocals) gets a bit lost.

Plus a lot of indie-type bands seem to mix their vocals very low when playing live, something the human ear seems to compensate for somewhat in the room but less so when listening to a recording. That's my experience anyway.

As for trying to sort it out with software, I would think that it would be more or less a lost cause. You might try gently boosting frequencies between 1-2kHz to try and bring the vocals out a bit more but I'd imagine that things are going to start sounding quite odd quite quickly
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 04:35:47 PM »
Ok, can you please elaborate on this "standing too close to the stage?"

And, are there software programs out there than can separate vocals from instrumentals, allowing for just the vocals to be boosted?

Yep, your friend got solid monitor/stage sound, which is low on vocals, and missed the PA for the most part.

Nope, no programs that will directly do what you're hoping, though by boosting specific frequency ranges you may be able to improve the vocals a little, but not that much, I'm afraid.

And this:
I wonder if the mics' height may also be contributing to the problem - mid-chest sounds pretty low, which in my experience usually equals fewer high frequencies, something that always seems to take a higher toll on the clarity and perceived proximity of vocals.
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 07:36:25 PM »
textbook case of standing too close to the stage...
I've recorded from a "new-to-me" venue where I could have sworn that I'd be in the "sweet spot" and have had this happen. I was taping from the 10th row and vocals came out as crap on the recording. Everything else sounded great.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 08:14:59 PM »
There is a flip side to this.
A few bluegrass, folk, and some jazz acts have great vocal mixes in the onstage monitors.
However more often than not you will get low vocals when onstage/lip.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline skelly14120

• Taperssection Regular
  • My little buddy
    • Shows Recorded -incomplete
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 09:36:47 PM »
back in the early days of my taping ive made this mistake luckly as in your case the show had been filmed for dvd or just someone's personal collection. Id find out as much info on the release of the video as I could and try to get a copy maybe mix the audio from it with your recording ?

Now a days youll never find me front center unless Im filming and I know another source of audio will be available at some point .As for the people I know I would never have someone  do the recording for me unless i gave them very very strict rules  .
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 09:43:01 PM by skelly14120 »
Open
At2021>Edirol R-44

Stealth

CA14>St9100 Ver 4.3>Edirol R-09HR

SBD
SBD >Tascam Dr07
SBD

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 12:08:46 AM »
This reminds me of the 53 shows I've been at where someone up against the stage is yelling "turn it up", or "more vocals" or whatever, not realizing that they are essentially standing behind the speakers...
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline skelly14120

• Taperssection Regular
  • My little buddy
    • Shows Recorded -incomplete
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 03:00:32 AM »
hah :-D yes
Open
At2021>Edirol R-44

Stealth

CA14>St9100 Ver 4.3>Edirol R-09HR

SBD
SBD >Tascam Dr07
SBD

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 09:07:59 AM »
Emphasizes how crucial position in the venue is to recording. I think it's one of the most important factors.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 01:27:43 PM »
just like in real estate the three most important words are Location, Location, Location

while front row/stage lip is often ideal for photography it is usually less so for recording (unless it's an acoustic show or you're off-center and effectively stack taping)

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 02:36:54 PM »
Or an instrumental band.
Although even with instrumental bands some things get lost in translation, or are fed only through the PA.
At MMW 9/28/08 everything on my recording was clear and present except for the melodica. Which turned out, for that show anyway, was fed through the PA only.

Also I imagine proper location is a ton more difficult around stage lip when sleathing like your friend was.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 07:07:07 PM »
I was at a Menomena show one time where only the vocals and the keys were in the extremely under powered pa (it was at a small high school auditorium). As you moved around the room, the sound changed from uneven, to bad, to worse. It was pretty crazy--one spot was all drums, nothing else, the next was just vocals and keys, nowhere had a good mix. But my friend was able to make a nice mix from the SBD and AUD tapes I made, coming up with something that sounded far superior than the room sound at the actual show.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.129 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com