Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: newbie's informal poll: while taping, do you stay with your gear all show?  (Read 8568 times)

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Newbie question (again), sorry y'all.  I get these questions that keep popping into my head, I think it's a sign I got da' bug and can't wait to tape  ;D  

This may have been asked before, but I couldn't find anything on it.  When you tape, do you always stay with your gear 100% of the time, or do you feel confident that it will be safe, and you can go boogie or socialize?  The reason I asked concerns a gig in January, one of my first taping gigs.  A bunch of dudes set up their gear, checked their levels for a song or two, and then disappeared until set break.  Second set started, they ran the tapes, then took off again until the end of the show.  

I was like wow, those dudes have a lot of faith that nobody's gonna lift their shit.  Me being a rookie, I dunno, maybe they new I was conscious of all the gear, and that I'd keep watch over it?  Was I used?!  The horror   ;)   I personally would *love* to go drink and get a groove on, but I'm too worried about my stuff getting broken or taken.  

Am I being overprotective?

I thank you kindly...

Offline brandont_h

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
I always stay with my stuff.  Even if no one is going to steal it, you never know when some drunk person might trip over your stand or something.  You've got a lot of money invested in that stuff, so it makes sense to act that way.  ;)
AKG C1000S > Edirol UA-5 > Sony TCD-D8
DAB > DA-120F > Sony TCD-D8

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
I stick with my gear.

I don't generally go to concerts to socialize, I go to hear/watch the music.  I enjoy tossing a few back, but not getting nutty.  I basically stay with my gear except to grab a beer or hit the head, usually when I have someone I know to keep an eye on my stuff.

'Course, I'm usually FOB so far less inclined to leave my gear exposed with a bunch of raving and drooling w00ks milling about all around me.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline oldfan

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
??
You lost me here...
I keep my MD in my pocket and my mics clipped on my collar.
So I guess, I stay with my gear :)

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 10:50:45 PM by fozzy »
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
'Course, I'm usually FOB so far less inclined to leave my gear exposed with a bunch of raving and drooling w00ks milling about all around me.

lol. when you said that I pictured a bunch of zombie wooks (complete with arms sticking straight out in front of them) whose only mission is to blindly run into/trip on gear.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!

If I'm taping alone, (and not in the section or pit) I try to stay most of the time - 'specially FOB - too crazy to chance leaving, and if it's bust scene FOB, you don't want security messing up your gear while they're hauling your buddy away.  I do most shows with the wife, so we can cover each other.  

I also shoot (still photos) most shows I do.  If I'm on a photo pass too, (and without the wife) I'll ask whoever is patched or clamped to watch my stuff while I go up front to shoot (most shows, photo passes put you between the rail and the stage for the first 10 minutes or so).  But I prefer shooting with the long telephoto from around the room, so I'll roam and check back.

I can understand the paranoia of wondering if someone is gonna snatch your stuff.  99% of tapers are decent, reasonably honest people - we're a breed unto our own.  Once you get out there a few times, you'll start seeing people from other shows, other venue's and you'll get to know people and feel alot safer asking someone to watch your shit for awhile, so you can take a leak, grab a death-dog, or shake yer ass up front for awhile...

Welcome to the club - now GO TAPE SOMETHING...

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
I stick with my stuff too. Just too many things that can go wrong. If it's in the section, or there's more than just a couple of us, I'll run off for a minute or 2 and get a beer or have a smoke...but I'm standing right next to my gear the other 99% of the time.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
It depends where I am taping and who I am with. If there is someone around to watch my stuff I set my levels and I am off. The way I figure it, if I am clamped to somone that is sticking with their gear the chances of someone coming and lifting my stuff, attached to a stand and all are slim. I use to never leave my stuff, but I missed hanging out, so I do so now. If I am 100% on my own I stick around my stuff. Overall, if I clip a few spots in a show while I am off smoking a phat one outside I could care less. I am doing this for myself.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
yea it does depend on where i'm at.  a crowded bar, i generally stay with my stuff,. unless there are people i know, then its all good, i ask them to keep an eye out for it, and buy them a drink.  otherwise i normally stay with my gear the whole time.  it all depends on who your with, in a taper section, or not, normally in a TS i'm pretty cool with it, if i know them, but i might be a little uneasy.  It gets easier as time goes by.  the first few times out, i was real careful, now i'm not such a phreak about it, but still cautious, can't help but be with all the money we have invested in our rigs though right?
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

jessedscott

usually stay. But I am also usually with someone else who is taping. so I can run off and grab a beer. It also depends on where I'm taping.

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
I stay pretty much all the time.....unless i have someone there to scopre out my stuff while i got get a beverage or whatnot
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
Always stick with my shit. But its always good to know guys (TEAM PITTSBURGH!!!) that will take care of you if you have to take a piss or somthing...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
yeah, team p-burgh is always a group effort(the way it should be), and i generally do half and half, if im at a small place and can see my stuff, i'll go drink/boogie/whatever, but if its a bigger arena show, im usually always in the vicinity!!!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Another reason my gear is insured....some steals it...I get new gear
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com