Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording shows to a minidisc  (Read 4374 times)

Offline SGSG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Recording shows to a minidisc
« on: March 22, 2004, 03:21:55 PM »
Hey folks,

New owner of a minidisc player, literally just learned that hey, you can use these things to record at shows.  Go easy...

First of all, right now, I primarily would like to tape for my own use, not interested at the moment in trading or selling tapes - this is also to record my fledgeling band's first few gigs.  So, what do I need?  What is an SBD?  What mics will do the trick?  I've heard those tiny, cheap lapel mics work, and I've heard from others that they're terrible.  Help a neophyte out, please.  Thanks.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re:Recording shows to a minidisc
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 03:28:50 PM »
check out the sony mics (907, I believe!) to begin with.  Lapel, if you want to record yourself, might be a hassle cause you would want a stand...

SBD = soundboard.

And, never sell tapes.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 03:50:01 PM »
Lapel mics have a very narrow frequency response range, and will sound terrible. It will do fine for recording spoken word at close range, but will not sound very good for music at a distance. Imagine jamming out to your favorite band on a 1940's era AM radio.

Look into that Sony ECM single point stereo microphone. It will cost you around $90 at most. It is battery powered, so I believe you can just plug it into the Line In of your MiniDisc. It will be able to record pretty well in most situations that you'll come across.

You can get a cheap microphone stand for about $40 from Guitar Center. On-Stage makes decent fold up microphone stands that will work out well for you. I don't know if the ECM mic comes with some kind of clamp to screw onto the stand, but your recordings will come out better if there is some way to hold the mic up in a stationary position (not hand held).

Good luck to you man, if you have any other questions about this, never feel too afraid to ask around here. There are plenty of people that are more than happy to help. Welcome!

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 04:07:08 PM »
I have a sony ecm-ms908c I'll sell you for $70.  I've made some quality tapes with it

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 04:12:22 PM »

First of all, right now, I primarily would like to tape for my own use, not interested at the moment in trading or selling tapes -

carefull what you say about selling of tapes...  not a good thing, especially around here.   as for your questions i would recomend staying away form lapel mics.  there are some mini mics that work great.  check www.soundprofesionals.com.  yea also the sony 907 is a good starter i think a few people here have used them, but i couldn't tell you anything about it having never used it.  if your really looking into getting into taping more though, don't buy something cause its cheap, unless its good, and at a good price..  peace.
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline SGSG

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 04:12:25 PM »
Hey, thanks for your help.  Yeah, I have checked out the ECM mics and they look tasty.  As for recording my band, I would probably give the MD to a friend in the audience and have them do it from there so I can concentrate on more important things...

Thanks again.

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 04:16:17 PM »
You've come to the right place for info!

For small microphones that are easy to use with a MD recorder, go to www.soundprofessionals.com and check out their Audio Technica microphone pairs - AT831, AT853 or AT943.  I used the AT831 mics when I first started taping and have many great tapes from them.  These mics are also very small and easy to use for stealth recording.

And I'm sure somebody said this already, but don't sell shows.  Ever.  That jeopardizes things for all of us.

Taping - not for profit, just for music and just for fun. ;D

Welcome.
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline SGSG

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 04:18:25 PM »
Schwillster, how is the 908 different from the 907?    

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 04:35:00 PM »
selling is alright if it's his own band ;)

the 908c is just a different color (more silverish) and it comes with a different mount

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 04:46:31 PM »
I personally started off with the at831's from soundprofessionals, but those sony mics mentioned earlier will work as well. good luck getting friends to tape, my bum friends almost spilled beer on my shit. it was pretty funny though...
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline SGSG

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 04:57:46 PM »
Hmm...did you have to use a preamp or battery with this?  And do you still have the stand and case and all that?

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 06:12:44 PM »
selling is alright if it's his own band ;)

Yes, selling your recordings of yourself or your own band is fine.  Selling recordings made by others of other bands (like my tapes of whatever) is BOOTLEGGING.

You will be hunted down and shot if you bootleg...

In the end, you are better off even giving your recordings away - people tend to give an open ear to free music and then turn on their friends, but pooh-pooh stuff that is not free and they have never heard of...

I'll take home every sampler and freebie from every record store and show I go to, but damn if I paying for anything that may be in the $1 bin...  Knowutamean???

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2004, 08:24:07 PM »
Hmm...did you have to use a preamp or battery with this?  And do you still have the stand and case and all that?

if you're referring to my post then yes, I have a batt box to go with those mics. I got the batt box from sound pro's as well. good stuff.  what's your budget?

Offline Mobius

• Taperssection Regular
  • Degenerate Extraudinaire
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2004, 01:11:45 AM »
my bum friends almost spilled beer on my shit. it was pretty funny though...

hehe....i just like to cut out the middleman and spill beer on my own gear/self :D

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2004, 01:43:46 AM »
those bums spilled on a dig cam too, I should've known better after that happened. that was even funnier since it wasn't mine...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com