Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DVD-A questions  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Tenn Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
DVD-A questions
« on: March 23, 2004, 06:24:37 PM »
Sorry, I posted in the Open Forum also. I should have posted here first.

I have some DVD-A questions. Of course, to get the full effect of DVD-A, I assume that the recordings would need to be 24/96 and use surround sound.

But does DVD-A improve the sound of 16 bit recordings or does it have  to be 24 bit?

Is surround sound necessary or will stereo work?

I assume that to connect a DVD-A compatible player to my stereo system, that the stereo amplifier has to have some kind of digital inputs. Is that correct? If so, what kind?

Another sorta related question. If playing 24 bit recordings on a computer, is a certain kind of sound card required? That is, either playing the files from the computer or DVD-A's from the computer DVD drive. Is that even possible?

Thanks for your help.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re:DVD-A questions
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 12:37:27 AM »
does DVD-A improve the sound of 16 bit recordings or does it have  to be 24 bit?

16 bit is 16 bit. 24 bit is 24 bit. It doesn't matter what you put it on. So no. A 16 bit DVD-A is a CD that holds a lot more music.

Is surround sound necessary or will stereo work?

Surround is only needed if (a) the disc is in surround and (b) you want to hear it that way.

I assume that to connect a DVD-A compatible player to my stereo system, that the stereo amplifier has to have some kind of digital inputs. Is that correct? If so, what kind?

You need either a coax or optical cable to listen to surround. Obviously you need a surround reciever also. I imagine most DVD-A players have some sort of analog out.

Another sorta related question. If playing 24 bit recordings on a computer, is a certain kind of sound card required? That is, either playing the files from the computer or DVD-A's from the computer DVD drive. Is that even possible?

You need a soundcard that supports 24bit. Most middle of the road and higher soundcards support this. I like the M-Audio Revolution. I don't know if you can play DVD-A discs with your DVD Drive.

Hopefully that was all correct. Someone correct me if I was incorrect about anything.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline mgleason007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
Re:DVD-A questions
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 12:51:29 AM »
But does DVD-A improve the sound of 16 bit recordings or does it have  to be 24 bit?

This the old "if I convert an mp3 to wav will I get the quality back" question.

You need a 24 bit sound card to play 24 bit recordings.  You should look through and post in the playback forum.
Mike

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com