Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: software recomendations  (Read 5422 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
software recomendations
« on: April 12, 2004, 10:54:34 AM »
I've been using various cheesy freeware programs and am ready to upgrade to some decent editing software.  The biggest problem that I've had with the software I'm using is converting from 48k to 44.1.  I haven't done too much editing on the recordings I've made other than ballancing chanels in a few spots and normalizing.  My biggest concern is making my 48K wavs sound top notch on cd, and eventually I would like to start burning dvd-a disks.  I am curently running a jb3, but I might start playing with a lappy at 24bit as well.  Any suggestions?

***Edit***  I use a pc, and am currently not multitracking.

Matt
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 01:50:11 PM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re:software recomendations
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 10:57:55 AM »
Sound forge, over version 6.0.  Works like a charm.  You can do tracking in there as well.

EDIT:  by tracking, I mean cutting it into tracks for the cd, not multi-tracking.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 11:00:05 AM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline teajay

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 10:58:47 AM »
I use Sony Sound Forge 7 and love it. I find it easy to use, and since I have no need for multi-tracking it does the trick just fine. If you need multitracking, shoot for something like CoolEdit.

** Assuming you are using a PC **

travis
Save a tree, eat a beaver

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 02:05:32 PM »
what are the differences between sound forge 7 and screenblast sound forge 7?
Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 02:29:06 PM »
Never heard of the screenblast version...  can't help you there.  The one I am talking about is made by Sonic Foundry.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline teajay

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 03:04:36 PM »
Actually as of version 7, it was taken over by Sony AFIK.

travis
Save a tree, eat a beaver

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 03:07:09 PM »
SoundForge is no longer made by Sonic Foundry, its now by Sony(as of ver 7).
honestly, I prefer v6 over v7...guess it's a personal thing.

alot of people use Wavelab. if your interested in that, wait till ver5 comes out as it has DVD-A ability built in(with gapless tracks)

the water's clean and innocent

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 03:10:29 PM »
Didn't know SF is not made by sony - thanks.  I also use 6.0 as well, but it's merely because I don't have 7.0.  I haven't heard that there are many improvements between the versions - is this true?

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 03:19:58 PM »
the only improvements I noticed were ability to choose VU meter styles and automation...not exactly a full point release worth of improvements if you ask me.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 03:21:18 PM »
I've heard that sf 6 has shitty dithering, and this was improved in ver 7.  There was info on that on the OADE board a while ago.  Does sound forge support dvd-a?  That is something I have some interest in.

Matt
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 03:22:03 PM by mmmatt »

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 03:24:58 PM »
shitty dithering? I dunno. I have the Waves Gold 3.5 bundle of plugins installed which has great tools, but I do strictly 16 bit recordings.

I didnt like SF7...too much latency for my tastes

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 03:36:23 PM »
shitty dithering? I dunno. I have the Waves Gold 3.5 bundle of plugins installed which has great tools, but I do strictly 16 bit recordings.

I didnt like SF7...too much latency for my tastes

So sound forge ver 4.5 has crappy sampling from 48 to 44.1 ? Ver 4.5 is what I have and still use ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2004, 03:41:27 PM »
Dude!  6.0 definately has many improvements over 4.5... I can't speak of the resampling on 6.0, but I don't hear how it sucks, if it does...

6.0 is way faster than 4.5

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2004, 03:44:35 PM »
Dude!  6.0 definately has many improvements over 4.5... I can't speak of the resampling on 6.0, but I don't hear how it sucks, if it does...

cant speak for resampling in 4.5, but there is a VAST speed/processing improvement from v5 to v6!
resampling in v5 and v6 has always sounded clean to me...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2004, 03:47:29 PM »

cant speak for resampling in 4.5, but there is a VAST speed/processing improvement from v5 to v6!
resampling in v5 and v6 has always sounded clean to me...

Yeah, the processing speed is the main thing I noticed.  Especially saving and loading files.  They have the metadata summary files that they associate with the .wav to make it load quickly... 'tis very nice.

When I resample, I use the most sensitive option, and I think it sounds fine.  But, my playback isn't the greatest, so it could very well be deficient.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com