Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Underpowered Mics?  (Read 1825 times)

Offline tradja

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Underpowered Mics?
« on: June 03, 2004, 11:12:16 AM »
I searched the archives, but couldn't find an answer - sorry if I missed it!

My Oktavas are powered via a Samson Mixpad, which provides 18V phantom power.  What are the implications of not supplying 48V to the mics?  Reduced dynamic range?  Less ability to handle high SPL?  What?

Thanks!

Oktava MK012s->Canare Star Quads->DIY digimod UA-5->JB3, monitored through Beyer-pad modded Sony V6 cans

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
Re:Underpowered Mics?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 04:58:28 PM »
I don't know the Denecke PS2 provides 48V Phantom power to my MC012s for better than three hour on only a single 9V battery, but by golly, it does. Can anyone explain how it does that? My tapes with that little gadget sounded fine to me, if anything the low end was a little sloppier than it would have been supplying 48V with the UA5. But for stealthing, the PS2 is acceptable. But even then, they worked fine, and provided a steady line level to feed my M1.

I would imagine similar results from a Mixpad, but a comparisson tape would help.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 06:38:31 PM »
I don't know the Denecke PS2 provides 48V Phantom power to my MC012s for better than three hour on only a single 9V battery, but by golly, it does. Can anyone explain how it does that? My tapes with that little gadget sounded fine to me, if anything the low end was a little sloppier than it would have been supplying 48V with the UA5. But for stealthing, the PS2 is acceptable. But even then, they worked fine, and provided a steady line level to feed my M1.

??? ??? ???

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 04:15:42 AM »
I searched the archives, but couldn't find an answer - sorry if I missed it!

My Oktavas are powered via a Samson Mixpad, which provides 18V phantom power.  What are the implications of not supplying 48V to the mics?  Reduced dynamic range?  Less ability to handle high SPL?  What?

Thanks!

18 Volts as in 18 Volts phantom supply and 6 kOhms phantom drop resistors?  

Errhmmm ... then you get no more than 8 to 10 volts on the power rail inside the MC012 body (compared to 26 Volts when using 48 Volts phantom voltage).  

This means you loose around 12 dB in Signal to Noise ratio from the voltage drop alone.  Then you loose additional S/N in the active devices due to the reduced voltage.  

The reduced voltage have a few other implications but I'd guess that you  still have enough voltage to support  performane at max SPL.

Jon

dude, thanx for learning us! that's great info

Offline tradja

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 11:42:05 AM »

18 Volts as in 18 Volts phantom supply and 6 kOhms phantom drop resistors?  

Errhmmm ... then you get no more than 8 to 10 volts on the power rail inside the MC012 body (compared to 26 Volts when using 48 Volts phantom voltage).  

This means you loose around 12 dB in Signal to Noise ratio from the voltage drop alone.  Then you loose additional S/N in the active devices due to the reduced voltage.  

The reduced voltage have a few other implications but I'd guess that you  still have enough voltage to support  performane at max SPL.

Jon

:coolguy:
Thanks for the info!  Dammit, looks like I'll be after a UA-5 or PS-2/AD-20 soon...

I love this board! (but my wallet doesn't...)     :)
Oktava MK012s->Canare Star Quads->DIY digimod UA-5->JB3, monitored through Beyer-pad modded Sony V6 cans

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com