Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: patching  (Read 2460 times)

Offline tomtucker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
patching
« on: May 06, 2005, 04:02:02 PM »
i know next to nothing about taping and im pretty god damn broke, but i have to get into this world of taping i really can't fight it anymore. a member from this site told me about 2 months ago when i first expressed interest that the best way to start is to run patches off people for awhile so i can save up money to buy my own gear and to run patches from an array of sources, different source every show, so that way i can listen to the difference in people's rigs and decide what i think is best. so my question is what do i need to run a patch? remember i know just about nothin so you're gonna have to spell it out for me, sorry, and also keep in mind compatibilty because id like to be able to patch off several different types of rigs. if this question has been answered already down to this sort of detail im sorry i tried to see if it had already been answered in a way i understood. thanks

Online Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
Re: patching
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 04:07:04 PM »
depends on your recording device/medium

if dat, i would say get a d7/d8 and a 7pin> coax in/out cable...should run about $300 tops. then get some dat tapes and rechargeable batteries and you are set

if you want to go the hard drive methhod, get a nomad jukebox 3 with 2  internal batteries($150 - 200) and a hosa 276 coax to toslink converter($75) and a coax cable ($10)

have fun
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline tomtucker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 04:16:05 PM »
i dont know what i wil be patching into, thats why i was asking if there is some equipment that is compatible with a lot of recording devices, and if not then what is the most common recording device used and i'll just go down that road. and im not to savvy to the techie talk just yet so look at me and talk slowly when you tell me what i should be looking for. also i have a laptop could that be of some use?

Offline tomtucker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 06:38:35 PM »
i did read that but i didnt realize exactly how the patch worked but it seems like it skips steps 1-4. that said since i already have a laptop can i save myself the trouble of buying some other storage device and simply buy the cables or whatever other accessories i need to connect my laptop to someones rig? and if so what sort of software would i need, i already have soundforge 9 if that will do

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 07:12:43 PM »
i did read that but i didnt realize exactly how the patch worked but it seems like it skips steps 1-4. that said since i already have a laptop can i save myself the trouble of buying some other storage device and simply buy the cables or whatever other accessories i need to connect my laptop to someones rig? and if so what sort of software would i need, i already have soundforge 9 if that will do

Since you already have a laptop, you can buy a VXPocket pcmcia card and record from an spdif patch directly to your laptop's HD.  That is probably the cheapest and most simple solution.   Assuming sourceforge will record, the only additional thing you'll need are a coax cable to run between the card dongle and your source.  The laptop is not a small solution so get a 1.5M coax cable that will allow you to put your laptop a little ways away from the rig you are patching.

here's your card:  http://www.digigram.com/products/getinfo.htm?prod_key=9000  There might be one in the YardSale or someone might offer one if you post a want ad.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 09:51:16 PM »
That [laptop] is probably the cheapest and most simple solution.

Laptop solution is basically covered, and I'm not real familiar with 'em anyway, so I'll offer a couple other options.

A solution that takes S/PDIF coax patches will provide you with the most options since just about every gear combo includes a S/PDIF coax output.  Keep in mind laptops are notoriously power-hungry and sometimes difficult to power for long enough periods in the field.  If you can't power the laptop long enough via batteries and don't want to spend a good chunk of change on a portable power source for the laptop (not very likely you'll have access to AC power at the venue), I'd also consider:

Option 1
  • coax cable - inexpensive and easily found (~$10 at RS)
  • RCA / 2xRCA splitter - this will take a S/PDIF coax output in one side and split it to 2 S/PDIF coax outputs.  Radio Shack or a local electronics store carries these for < $5, so they're easily and inexpensively found
  • Hosa ODL-276 - this digital format converter will convert the S/PDIF coax signal to a S/PDIF optical signal that will feed your recorder;  available new at Full Compass for ~$55 shipped
  • Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 - accepts a S/PDIF optical signal, hence the need for the ODL-276; getting more rare, but keep an eye open on eBay or the Yard Sale;  available new / used for ~$150.
With the gear above, the patch chain would look like this:
                                                   Hosa ODL-276 > optical cable > JB3
                                                  /
Taper's S/PDIF coax output > coax cable > splitter
                                                  \
                                                   Next patcher
Option 2
  • coax cable - inexpensive and easily found (~$10 at RS)
  • Oade or Pro-Digital 7-pin coax cable - necessary for the Sony portable DAT recorders;  used $50-90, new ~$110 or so;  not necessary with a DAP1 recorder
  • Used portable DAT recorder (D7, D8, M1, D100, DAP1, etc.) - keep an eye out in the YS, there's usually one for sale ($150-$250), often sold with the 7-pin cable
With the gear above, the patch chain would look like this:
Taper's S/PDIF coax output > coax cable > 7-pin cable > Sony DAT recorder > 7-pin cable (same one) > coax cable > next patcher

or

Taper's S/PDIF coax output > coax cable > DAP1 > coax cable > next patcher
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline tomtucker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 09:53:22 PM »
thank you guys very much that was exactly the kind of answer i was lookin for... so my last question for now is if i buy another battery for my laptop when i switch the batteries would i have to turn the laptop off, or will it run for a minute while i changed the battery? or is that specific to the type of laptop? thanks again

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 09:59:41 PM »
when i switch the batteries would i have to turn the laptop off, or will it run for a minute while i changed the battery?

I don't know of any laptops that allow battery hot-swapping while maintaining power, except those with dual battery bays.  If you have only a single battery bay - assuming we're talking internal batteries here - you'll have to shut down when you swap batteries.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 11:07:28 PM »
on a side note, i've had nothing but GOOD experiences with patchers.  all have been very courteous, cool and thankful.

a simple but honest "thanks for the patch" at the end of a show goes a long way.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 11:20:02 PM »
to be honest, i don't necessarily think patching is that great of a way to get exposure to different rigs.  if you are going to patch, do it for the sake of experiencing part of taping to see if you like it.  it's a good way to get to know some local tapers as well.  but if you really just want a bunch of different gear samples, just download shows, either from the archive or bittorrents.  you can have samples of almost every gear combination that is out there and get a better idea of what you will like.  if you already have high speed internet, there's no more cost to you and if you don't, it's still more cost-effective than buying a patching setup. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com