Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Are there any R-1 bug reports??  (Read 5987 times)

Offline liverecording2004

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Are there any R-1 bug reports??
« on: September 30, 2005, 12:39:16 PM »
Hey fellow tapers!

I want to express my gratitude for your expertise   ...

Given the short period of time the M-Audio MT is available and the few people who have already laid there hand on one, the bug report seems kinda huge to me .. I´m mostly worried about the "initial-freezing" bug some of you have encountered  :-\ ... This I consider more like a dealbreaker than a bug ..

I am looking foreward to purchasing one of the "big three" ...

My ideal digital stealth recorder would be: (semi)professional DAT-like Soundquality + A/D via mic-in + power my CS-stealthy Microphones

Which one of the of "big free" (Edirol R1, Marantz 660, M-Audio Microtracker) would you recommend for stealth jazz-tapin´? 

Which one is the (most) hassle-free all-in-one box?? Pls comment.       

Thanks for the highly valuable information and first-person accounts you are providing ...

liverecording (vienna, austria)

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Are there any R-1 bug reports??
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 12:58:12 PM »
you might want to have a look at this for info on the r1 -

http://www.edirol.com/faqsys/faq_search_fr.html

then pick r1, click search.  the list is nice and short!  :-)

other than the fact that it only does 24/44.1, i'd say go with the r1 in a heartbeat.  i love it, the interface is very intuitive.  having stereo level meters would be nice, but definitely not a dealbreaker for me personally.

blackmikito

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 01:13:43 PM »
Definitely the R-1. Specifically for your rig, too.
Here's why:

660- Too big to stealth IMHO, and too noisy without the ACM mod. But once the mod is done, you lose line-ine. Which means that your Core Sound Stealths wouldn't work without an 1/8inch to xlr converter. And even then, the price is high.

MT- The main POSSIBLY salvageable virtue that's been discussed so far, amdist all the bugs and design issues, is that it MAY record digi-in via spdif accurately, should the firmware pan out.  But this is useless for anyone not running a pre or A/D convertor that has digi-out via spdif.  Difference between the high-end pros looking for the MT to be a storage device ONLY, and the rest of us who would've hoped to actually use it for the A/D and preamp. In other words, if your CS stealths are going into a battery box and then into the MT, you would need an adapter for your 1/8th inch to two 1/4 trs plugs, which is where you are put specifically into the exact issues which are currently wrong with this unit, since you would actually be trying to use it as the "all-in-one" it was supposed to be. Throw in the power issues and unit freezing and really, what else could possibly be wrong with this unit?

R-1- It's small, it records in 24/44.1. It's remarkably easy to use and it uses 2 AA batteries. Has line-in via 1/8inch input, and has more manual features. Starts up quick, sounds great.  Even if you upgraded your mics and got a pre, you would still be able to run this unit with excellent results via line-in.      

Offline gewwang

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 01:14:14 PM »
Last night, I recorded a 90 minute first set with no problems going line-in from a v3. I started a new file for the second set and for some reason, the unit stopped the recording after 10 minutes. I restarted a new file and got the last 1 hour without the unexplained stop.

After I pull the files off, I'm going to do a chkdsk on the card to check for errors but this definitely concerns me since I've used the card dozens of times without this issue.

zowie

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 01:27:38 PM »

R-1- It's small, it records in 24/44.1. It's remarkably easy to use and it uses 2 AA batteries. Has line-in via 1/8inch input, and has more manual features. Starts up quick, sounds great.  

But according to others' reports (no personal experiences yet) no where near as great as an ACM 600.  Just pointing it out -- I'm pondering the same questions to get something to replace one or both of my rigs.

blackmikito

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 01:34:39 PM »
Yeah, I'm betting that the Oade mode 660 is a beautiful thing.  But the cost and size of the R-1 (half the price stock than a modded 660) more than seal the deal. Maybe in DAT terms, it was the same reason I went with the small Sony models over the large Fostex and Tascam ones.  It would be WONDERFUL to get all the things we'd want into a unit the size of a box of cigarettes, but it just ain't happening right now.  I mainly do stealth, and I think that anyone who is seriously considering stealthing a 660 on a consistent basis must know some tricks I don't!

zowie

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 01:41:52 PM »
I have so much gear sitting around now.  I can't figure out what to get rid of, what to keep, and what to buy to improve the situation.  Each piece does 80% of what the others do, but does something else the others don't.

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 01:49:05 PM »
I have so much gear sitting around now.  I can't figure out what to get rid of, what to keep, and what to buy to improve the situation.  Each piece does 80% of what the others do, but does something else the others don't.

quote of the day! 

at least in my eyes.  oh, how i can relate!
+t

Offline pgoelz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 02:23:01 PM »
Hi guys, first post here....

I own an R1 and briefly owned a Mircotrack (but returned it).  I have two bugs to report on the R1:

1.  I had one instance where I was recording a 1+ hour concert.  I was breaking it up into approximately 15 minute segments to make subsequent editing easier.  After redcording two 15 minute tracks back to back, the unit went blank on me when I stopped the recording to force it to begin a third track.  I pressed a couple buttons and it came back to life, but the next three 15 minute recordings (the last three before I shut it down) all began OK and then became chopped at about a 15Hz rate for the balance of the recording.  It hasn't happened since. 

2.  The function wheel can fall off easily.  Not sure if Edirol has addressed this yet.  The reason is that the function control barrel is set up with small indentations to allow the wheel to snap on.  But the inner circumferance of the wheel lacks any projections so it is a simple friction fit.  And it falls off.  Previously, I Emailed Edirol and had a nice exchage with them and they sent me a replacement wheel that they said would solve the problem.  But it too was smooth on the inside and falls off just as easily.  I have Emailed Edirol with my observations as to the real reason it falls off but they have not responded yet. 

Other than the above two issues, my R1 works great.  I have made a couple hundred recordings with it without issue except as noted above. 

Paul
www.pgoelz.com
Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI USA
Music, model helis and astronomy website:
www.pgoelz.com

blackmikito

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 02:37:53 PM »

Considering that most stealth rigs used to feed into a mod SBM-1 and M-1, it's a very nice thing being able to say goodbye to those two expensive pieces.  The R-1 can be had for under $400, which couldn't even get you a used Sbm-1 stock (at least back in the day).  Throw in no more DAT tapes or head maintenance, no more real-time mastering (!!!), and you're actually buying a unit that is sonically superior in 24 bit that effectively takes the place of what so many of us relied on, in a smaller package (combining sbm-1 and m-1 together) and is quicker and easier to use.  It's only getting smaller people....baby steps ;)

zowie

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 03:05:04 PM »
.  The R-1 can be had for under $400 

Plus data card(s);  $600 is more like it.

Offline liverecording2004

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2005, 05:33:27 AM »
Thanks all for your much appreciated hints in my decision on what recorder to buy ...

I am definitely leaning towards the R-1 now ... Because it seems to be the (more) hassle-free all-in-one box ... (as you said sleepypedro und blackmitiko)

One more QUESTION --> I didn´t find any Kingston CF-Card mentioned as being compatible ... Is my 1024 MB Kingston ("normal Kingston" not "Elite" or anything) supposed to work with the R-1 ? .. Anybody ?

On Paul´s site I found some fine review about R-1 and some very good soundsamples as well (I like german folk-music  ;) )

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2005, 06:36:29 AM »
According to the R1 manual you can use up to 4gb flash cards.  Microdrives of the same size do not work with the R1 though so don't be stupid like me and buy one on accident.  Any actual CF card will work, even my ghetto old school 8mb stock kodak card that came with my first digi is read by the R1, so don't worry about compatability.  It's a little bit smaller than a JB3 but not much smaller, still very stealthable.  I hope it works as good as it should, I haven't taken it out yet.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline mcq

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 07:23:07 AM »
To know about another bug, you can also check this thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=52198.0

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2005, 12:35:47 PM »
To know about another bug, you can also check this thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=52198.0

this is not a "BUG", but an inexperienced user with a more than likely defective unit...it is NOT a general problem that effects all R-1's

please dont put too much stock in the experiences/information people post on this site as much of it is often the product of a lack of knowledge in how to use the gear in the first place

boogie

I agree with Boogie.  I have not experienced this, and I'm pretty sure a number of others using the R-1 haven't either... if they have, they didn't report it.

Further, the thread seems to implicate the media, and not the recorder.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline mcq

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 08:35:54 AM »

I agree with Boogie.  I have not experienced this, and I'm pretty sure a number of others using the R-1 haven't either... if they have, they didn't report it.

I've tried with several cards, and the noise is always here when using the internal mics with the rec level set at max. >:( Some cards produce less noise than the others, but I've never encountered a perfectly silent one yet. So if Edirol puts internal mikes in their device, and if those mikes are picking internal noises coming from essential parts of the system (i.e. the CF card), I call it a device-related bug, don't you?? :o

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2005, 08:41:34 AM »

I've tried with several cards, and the noise is always here when using the internal mics with the rec level set at max. >:( Some cards produce less noise than the others, but I've never encountered a perfectly silent one yet. So if Edirol puts internal mikes in their device, and if those mikes are picking internal noises coming from essential parts of the system (i.e. the CF card), I call it a device-related bug, don't you?? :o

A bug, I can agree with that, but not a bug that is specific to this device.  Many have reported that when using the NJB3 Mic input, they often pick up hard drive noise.

Also, most people here aren't using the R-1's internal mics.

Edited to add:  Now that I think about it, I actually did use the R-1's internal mics when I was testing battery life - I sampled the recording to make sure there were no artifacts or anything, and I didn't hear what you are describing.  Maybe yours is bad?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 09:35:32 AM by Bubba Columbia »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline goose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2005, 06:42:19 PM »

I've used the internal mics on my stock R1 for recording music lessons.  I use the max recording volume, in conjunction with the limiter, in this somewhat low volume situation.  I haven't heard any unexpected noises/ticks or any other issues.  I use Kingston and SanDisk CF cards.  I have not done any further tests to exclude the possibility of the unit making noise during recordings, but I've not heard anything yet (from concerts [external mics] or music lessons) that would lead me to believe there is a bug in the unit.  I've played back through headphones and my stereo setup.

Sounds like you moved to another unit, so this info isn't much help to you, but I thought I would put in my two cents.

Offline mcq

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2005, 01:20:09 PM »
Now that I think about it, I actually did use the R-1's internal mics when I was testing battery life - I sampled the recording to make sure there were no artifacts or anything, and I didn't hear what you are describing.  Maybe yours is bad?

That's what I'd like to know, and that's why I wrote this post about what may look like a bug or not. (I don't focus on the word, if it's not appropriate I'll choose another word next time. Just let me grab my dictionary. Sorry if I'm not really clear at all times, I'm not really at ease when writing in English.)

first, wtf are you doing using the internal mics running at maximum gain and worrying about fidelity...if you are worried about fidelity
1-use better mics and locate them remotely from background noise sources
2-use an external pre
etc.

That's what I do when I want to record something valuable! ::) But when I want to push the R-1 to its own limits -- because I'm curious about the limits of the gear I bought -- I check everything I can, even those crappy little internal mics at maximum gain  >:D

second, you mention in your own post that you've "never encounterd a perfectly silent one yet" and then go on to call it a device-related bug.....

I meant "silent" in this situation i.e. in the R-1 with internal mics. I didn't mean "silent" in any device, nor outside the device (though a CF card outside a device is painfully quiet ;D )

Sounds like you moved to another unit, so this info isn't much help to you, but I thought I would put in my two cents.

I appreciate your two cents. I won't move to another device, the R-1 with my external preamp fits perfectly my needs.

i suppose one way of looking at it is maybe edirol should have thought about that problem and made the case much larger just to move the internal mics further away from the other components...would you be happier then? with a device that was 2-3x longer just to move those POS internal mics to a quieter spot?

Ha ha ha. I should have known.

Offline smat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 07:16:51 AM »
New bug to report.  Last  nite while trying to tape Acoustic Planet Tour my R1 stops recording around 24 mins.  I turned it off, took out the flash, batteries, blew on them, etc,...and tried to record again.  It goes into standby rec and then stops.  I deleted the file I just made and started over and about 24 mins later it stoped again.  I've been running this thing for several months without incident.  I cant figure out what could be causing this.  Anyone hear of this??

Offline gewwang

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 10:22:23 AM »
New bug to report.  Last  nite while trying to tape Acoustic Planet Tour my R1 stops recording around 24 mins.  I turned it off, took out the flash, batteries, blew on them, etc,...and tried to record again.  It goes into standby rec and then stops.  I deleted the file I just made and started over and about 24 mins later it stoped again.  I've been running this thing for several months without incident.  I cant figure out what could be causing this.  Anyone hear of this??

Sounds exactly like what kept happening to me when I first started using the R-1 and was only deleting files off the card and not formatting between shows.

Some people report that they haven't had to do this, but I'm going to keep doing the format for each show with my R-09 until I lose a recording. Haven't had this issue since May 2005 with the R-1 or R-09.

Offline smat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2006, 04:07:00 PM »
I reformated and preliminary test past.  Looks like I'll be reformating after every recording.
Thanks for the reply.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.174 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com