Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: archiving sbd advice  (Read 6428 times)

livin_grateful

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: archiving sbd advice
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 06:53:11 PM »
iRIVER

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 07:20:36 PM »
any advice on editing software?

free software: CD Wave basic tracking etc - Audacity - multritrack editing/recording

if you are willing to pay I would highly recommend Samplitude SE, which can be downloaded for $50
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline pfunk_49

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 11:35:34 AM »
another benefit of UA-5 > recorder - all you need is mics and cables when you get more $ and youll have a full AUD rig as well plus you can still run on the fly matrices

from the team ua-5 thread:
"the front inputs are seperate and live at the same time.  you can record four tracks simultaneously, and the box mixes them down to two track stereo on the fly.  phantom power is only available for the front xlr inputs though, so keep that in mind"

kinda new hear.  So is this saying I can run auds in as well as sbd and it will create a matrix automatically?  Is it still better to have more control and record seperately, and then mix? 

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 12:32:37 PM »
another benefit of UA-5 > recorder - all you need is mics and cables when you get more $ and youll have a full AUD rig as well plus you can still run on the fly matrices

from the team ua-5 thread:
"the front inputs are seperate and live at the same time.  you can record four tracks simultaneously, and the box mixes them down to two track stereo on the fly.  phantom power is only available for the front xlr inputs though, so keep that in mind"

kinda new hear.  So is this saying I can run auds in as well as sbd and it will create a matrix automatically?  Is it still better to have more control and record seperately, and then mix? 

Well, it's a mixed bag with the UA5, but it sure makes it easy.  What I've done is run my mics into the front xlr channels with phantom power and separate channel gain control.  Then I've run the sbd through the rca's in the back of the unit.  This "issue" here is that while there are separate inputs (red & white), there's a single gain knob.

What I'm not sure of is how those rear rca inputs disperse across each channel - if there's a true A B that disperses across each channel directly, or if it mixes the signal and applies it evenly across both channels.

But how you set it up is to test both signals separately to get an approximation of where your gain levels will be. This will show you how each signal sounds and give you an indicator of where you'll want to be from a gain perspective. Then "final" set your mic in levels on the front xlr alone.  Once you're happy with that signal, bring up the gain on the rear input to the level desired by your ears.

So when the show starts and you're on the fly, you'll only need to make very minor adjustments to the sbd feed coming in the rear inputs (that will remain fairly constant once the sbd dude is good to go), and you can make adjustments as required for your mic gain, as usual.

Make sense?  That's not as clear as I could've made it, but it's all the time I've got for now...  Bottom line is don't overthink it cause it's really simple with the UA5 - only 3 variables.
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline pfunk_49

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 12:43:45 PM »
thanks, I think I understand.  Still don't have the unit in hand.  Been reading the team ua5 threads (thanks for link).  Is there an explanation somewhere of each of these mods?  Do I understand correctly that the digi-mod is necessary for dumping to a "bit-bucket"?  Do I also understand correctly that it's something to either do yourself (given some eloctronics knowledge) or bundle with another mod? 
Thanks in advance
Paul

Offline hawghunter

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
Great thread. It answered some ?'s I had about UA-5 and dumping into a bit bucket.
I just picked up another MT. So now I can run 1 open mics, one SBD if I can get a plug in, and also I could matrix up open mics and sbd with the UA-5. I need to get one, need to look into the mods also. I was just going to start searching for info (threads) on this.
+T's all around! 
ISO: NIRVANA :), 8/15/91 - The Roxy

930's > MMe

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 02:04:07 PM »
thanks, I think I understand.  Still don't have the unit in hand.  Been reading the team ua5 threads (thanks for link).  Is there an explanation somewhere of each of these mods?  Do I understand correctly that the digi-mod is necessary for dumping to a "bit-bucket"?  Do I also understand correctly that it's something to either do yourself (given some eloctronics knowledge) or bundle with another mod? 
Thanks in advance
Paul

Hey Paul, the ua5 is set up to go digital direct from usb into a computer, analog into everything else.  The digimod disables the computer in in trade for digital out via coax or optical cable.  If you're recording onto a laptop you won't actually want the digi mod.  The digi mod is an easy diy if you have very good soldering skills.  You can find links on here (probably in the team ua5 threads) on how exactly to do that mod.  I could never do it, though, so I can't site them directly.

The other mods (Busman or Oade) are all designed to decrease the internal noise in the ua5 and change the tone of the sound to some extent.  You'll find the links explaining how the mods are done & why within one of the Team ua5 threads.  Busman does a full explanation of his BM2p+ mod, and does a good job explaining what he *thinks* the Oade mods do.  It's an interesting read, for sure, if not a bit technical for my brain.
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

Offline RobC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2007, 04:26:44 PM »
Thanks in advance
Paul

Hey Paul, the ua5 is set up to go digital direct from usb into a computer, analog into everything else.  The digimod disables the computer in in trade for digital out via coax or optical cable.  If you're recording onto a laptop you won't actually want the digi mod.  The digi mod is an easy diy if you have very good soldering skills.  You can find links on here (probably in the team ua5 threads) on how exactly to do that mod.  I could never do it, though, so I can't site them directly.

The other mods (Busman or Oade) are all designed to decrease the internal noise in the ua5 and change the tone of the sound to some extent.  You'll find the links explaining how the mods are done & why within one of the Team ua5 threads.  Busman does a full explanation of his BM2p+ mod, and does a good job explaining what he *thinks* the Oade mods do.  It's an interesting read, for sure, if not a bit technical for my brain.

You are wrong about not being able to record using a laptop with a dig mod U-5
I have had a dig mod (actually the Oade W-Mod UA-5) and have recorded using optical, coax and USB to laptop all at the same time.

What gets disabled doing the dig mod to a UA-5 is the ability to go USB IN to the UA-5,  so You cant use a dig mod UA-5 as a sound card for a computer
km 184 >v2> HD-P2, R-44
AKG 393, 392

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2007, 09:58:35 PM »
Duh.  Yeah, I had that backwards.  My bad - sorry about that...   :-[

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com